DEVS: Is there a limit on what can be 'spotlighted'?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Reinheld, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

First of....EVERY bonus is a good bonus. Thank you for keeping them going so long. So don't take this as a criticism. However, we've had 3 JLD spotlights in a year, and this will be the 2nd or 3rd LOD one this week (I believe), and we've seen spotlights on M1/M2/BOP/WV/FP/LLL before, some a few times, but why no love for AF3, or maybe the HOP or WOL series as a whole? I realize the monthly episodes would be hard to 'spotlight' as they only have 2 pieces of content each and don't really have a gear set, and some don't have any OW stuff, but is there a reason that we haven't had a Titans spotlight or Atlantis or Deluge, or as mentioned above...AF3 or HOP?

And again, bonuses are great...even repeat ones. Just wondering if the limitation is technical, like no resources/time to add the 'bonus' code to new eps...or if you just feel that the older episodes wouldn't get any extra attention from a bonus?
    • Like x 7
  2. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I’d also like it on older content not cause I need it but cause I like that content and would be nice to revisit it with out waiting forever for it to pop if it ever does.

Although since I’ve been away a long time this one will really benefit me as far as bosses go if people go there to fight them. Jld sadly was a bust :( since there wasn’t a lot of people going there to fight the one boss that’s there.

I also wish they’d make these spot lights events so everyone can do it would really open up the area for the week and get more people there.
    • Like x 2
  3. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Not really any limitation. If we haven't ever run a spotlight for an episode before, it does take a bit of time to set up, but it isn't too bad.

We're open to suggestions of what you would like to see. We do run the most recent episodes as spotlights as we get to a new episode thinking it is a good opportunity for people to catch up or catch alts up.
    • Like x 9
  4. BumblingB I got better.

Spotlights are nice as it gets players back into older content. Some of the bigger content DLCs would be interesting to visit. You could do "Aquaman Spotlight" that would cover Deluge and Atlantis. As Reinheld said above, "Lantern Spotlight" could encapsulate quite a number of content pieces. Fight for the Light, War of the Light P1, P2, and 4 pieces from monthly content. A little themed stuff can work too. Like Powerful Women can do Amazon, Bombshells, etc. So many fun thematic ideas that would make things interesting for players. :)
    • Like x 8
  5. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Would there be anyway to make these spotlights events to open it up to more people ?
    • Like x 1
  6. Eve YouTuber

Amazon Fury spotlight would be amazing!!
    • Like x 4
  7. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

That's a much bigger endeavor, unfortunately.
  8. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

That’s too bad cause as I said earlier last time the jld spotlight was great for me (someone who came back to the game after a few years of being away)

But there would be only 1 or 2 other people waiting for the boss fights and most the time it was a wipe cause everyone would die. Would
    Sit there for a long time waiting so it was a bust ultimately for me.

I really hate to ask this cause honestly I don’t think it would be right, but honestly it’s too hard to get groups together to fight the world bosses once they are no longer relevant to cr. Would it be out of line to readjust them once they are out of relevancy to make them soloable … (this would obviously reduce the amount of source marks you get from them) I hate to even suggest it cause someone like doomsday shouldn’t be soloed … but I’m sitting at 50/100 in doomsday metropolis and sadly I feel like it will stay that way a long while.
    • Like x 2
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I kind of figured as the list of what has had spotlights are episodes where there were some 2x or 3x bonus weeks in the past...during their normal run. I'm not sure we had 2x or 3x weeks back in AF3/AOJ....Atlantis or whatever.

I think any of the larger, older episodes could benefit as 'hopefully' it would bring attention to some of those less run raids/alerts or dead open world areas maybe.
    • Like x 2
  10. Eve YouTuber

I made this video before on my opinion on how to improve bonus weeks
    • Like x 1
  11. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A bigger request than just another episode suggestion but would it be possible to implement double counter feat progress during an episode spotlight?

Making bounty feats or annoying farm feats of outdated content a lot easier for those that still need it.
    • Like x 3
  12. Limey Committed Player

Spotlights for older episodes would be nice to see, as a means of getting people to replay older content. In regards to older content(I mean much older content) would it be possible to have features tiers(for, say 1-3 or 1-4, obviously only a single featured tier at a time)? Or possibly featured arcs? For example, have all war of the light episodes? Or all Amazon fury episodes? Or likewise, featured episode bundles( ie DLC1-4, 5-8, etc..)? It's just kind of frustrating seeing only featured episodes mostly for only Tier 5 and 6 content, while anything older essentially required forming a group specifically to run that older content, and rarely even getting a full raid group because the older players have already done it, plus the casual players that don't pay attention to skill points or feats, it becomes much harder to get people running content in, say, Metropolis Battlezone, or the War-Torn zones, or Gotham Wastelands. I realize these zones have a lot less content than more modern zones, but that's why I suggest featured bundles of episodes - the entirety of Lightning Strikes is a handful of Central City missions, some soloable open world bounties, and a single duo. Many of the early episodes that featured new powersets were lackluster as far as overall content, so multiple at once would be roughly equivalent of featuring a T5 or T6 episode, as far as content and replayability.
  13. hotsizz1e03 Committed Player

SPOTLIGHT wouldnt be that bad if it was EXPANDED to more DLC to keep content running FRESH.. Similar to SAVE the UNIVERSE.. OR have them all run concurrently..

There should always be options for us to run and play DCUO in many ways... Keeps the game fresh..

Repeating the same patterns year after year only make things stale.. Good ideas should always be EXPANDED!
  14. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

The problem with expanding spotlights is that if they're expanded to much more than the current single DLCs they are, the response would be so thin as to make them pointless.

As it is, I just took my lowest CR alt through Doomed Washington, and while we could barely get enough people to run the bounties once, there were all of eleven people each in all of two phases.

If you added even one more DLC and then split the interested members, you'd wind up with insufficient members to do a bounty, absent a surge of good luck and timing.

I incidentally, can't resist noting that I suggested bonus weeks for years before they were finally instituted and then I spent months, if not years, pointing out the benefits of simply making every week a bonus week because there was simply no downside whatsoever.

Of course, I don't know if my lobbying influenced the devs: maybe they never noticed my pleas and independently had the realization all on their own.

But, still, if they did notice my arguments, that's the single biggest effect I've ever had on this game, and I'm tentatively proud of that. Just saying for the sake of non-humble-bragging.
    • Like x 1