How toxic is this community really?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Scarletboy, Mar 22, 2023.

1. beardrive Committed Player

Genius!
    • Like x 1
  2. Eve YouTuber

The Community isn't toxic as awhole. It's a shame rotten apples ruins the image of our community. I met such great people here that every moment with them doesn't give me much time to worry about toxicity. Hang with the right people and you'll be fine. I have shout\say chats off always. I don't get their purpose anyway. lol
    • Like x 3
  3. Dene Devoted Player

GREAT response

As a gay man who plays, i've encountered a few - but not many

Some things i have said re: Homophobia/asking that question "Why, You interested?" "If you ask Nicely, we can negotiate" "Don't flatter yourself" "Only on Saturday Nights" etc

But I stick with my league and noone cares tbh - or at least do not voice negativity about it
    • Like x 1
  4. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

It really depends on what your limits are for "toxic." But I'm going to echo what many here have already said: The most toxic people tend to be part of a very vocal minority. People on the forum are generally pretty helpful. In game chat? Make liberal use of Recent Texts > [username] > Ignore. The majority of my "ignore" filter is people who are only there to shill some website that sells you in-game cash for real-world money. The remainder are people with offensive usernames and/or people who make extremely offensive comments in LFG.

Above all, just remember: It's just a game. As long as you're not deliberately trying to ruin someone else's good time, play it however it makes you happy. Put nastiness on Ignore, and don't let it ruin your fun.
    • Like x 1
  5. FatL69 New Player

I was in hod for like 20 minutes the other day just using the broker. Several people were accusing this one guy of pedophilia, only for him to say that the accusers were actually pedophiles. They threatened eachother with reports and actual violence. Girls are consistently shamed, and called "trannys" there's blatent homophobia and sexism basically every night. People class shaming and calling others broke happens on a regular basis.

I don't play other mmos, but if this is mild I'm glad I dont. Maybe you log off early and don't see much, but there's pretty consistent toxic behavior at night.

To be fair, when I run content I don't see a lot at all. It's almost always the people just standing around in hod or hol. I don't run elite content tho so I can't speak on that.

Like several people have said though, the ignore button is there for a reason. It's pretty easy to just keep your head down, and stay away from the toxicity. But it is most definitely there. I'm never directly involved in it because I don't participate in shout chat unless im in an open world doing weeklys. I still see it all the time.
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Fair points, but it has to be kept in mind that one bad experience from part of that VERY vocal minority (they do like to talk a lot and loudly) is enough to negate who-knows-how-many positive experiences and interactions with other players. Unfortunately those negative experiences just leave more of a lasting impression.
    • Like x 1
  7. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

When it's in LFG, and not just a few isolated comments, I add the most persistent offenders to Ignore. If it's a handful of comments by different players, I switch over to the Loot tab.

When I first came back to the PC server (last October), I got in the habit of switching over to the Loot tab before I started playing, because of all the hate speech and political BS. Then I discovered how to add people to the Ignore list without having to actually type in their names. :)
    • Like x 1
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

As I mentioned earlier, I've just found it easier to create a chat channel that reduces chat to bare minimum (system messages, tells). Saves a lot of time and can be easier than trying to ignore that many people through the system.
  9. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

I have to admit, it is a big part of why I developed the habit of being a solo. But then my experience with it was during the lead-up to the 2022 election. A lot of it has dropped off (or at least become less political) since then.
  10. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

So, how do you do that? I would love to able to not have to scroll through all the LFG stuff when I'm in a group.
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

To me, 'Try hard' is when you are willing to scrap everything else to be 'the best'....can't do pickups or run mechanics cogs when you are only focused on hitting the boss. Demanding OTHERS to run certain loadouts or artis to support YOUR dps numbers, be willing to scrap an otherwise easy feat like 'Hug the boss' because you can't be bothered to drop your rotation for 1 second to lunge a boss (which btw is the proper mechanic), getting salty when you die because a healer couldn't heal you through a one shot you couldn't be bothered to block or roll away from. Hey...maybe you were busy swapping artis....the healer should have known...right?

And not throwing shade at the DPS's but in this game 'the best' pretty much is measurable only for DPS. There are plenty of role players who will basically abandon their role duties to move themselves from a 6th place DPS finish to 4th or 5th place too, or spending 30+ min finishing a boss off solo after an unlucky shot takes a few key players out. Very impressive....but I'd rather just you wipe and finish the run 20 min faster. That one is subjective, as there ARE times where that will be the only way things finish, but yeah....some people are just showboating. That's pretty 'try hard'.
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It's been a while since I made the channel. So with the game down for patching atm, I can't go in and double check the steps necessary to do so. LOL

Basically, it's a matter of making a new chat channel and using the interface to tick off the boxes of existing channels (LFG, Shout, etc.) you want to add or remove from that channel. That and maybe giving the channel a name that might prevent folks from stumbling across it by accident and using it.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a better guide somewhere here in the forums about how to do it.
    • Like x 1
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

If you go to your settings and chat settings, you can make a new chat, call it 'group' or whatever you want and ONLY select what you want to see.

Personally I have that stuff in my default. Group, league, system, shout, tells and private chats, then a tab for LFG, one for Trade and one for combat info. You may or may not want shout in there, as it can get pretty noisy too, but once you are in a group and running content, it gets pretty quiet.
    • Like x 1
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I think you are mixing the voice chats and text. If she's just looking for managable text chat tabs, it doesn't matter the name. If you are talking about a voice channel, yeah, an off-kilter name is nice, although I have on channel with a very common word for the name and I don't think I've ever run into anyone else using that same channel name.

I suppose avoiding a name like 'private' or 'chat' or 'friends' or something would be a good idea, but I'd guess 'HotDog' or whatever is fine. I've seen people with gobbledygook letters for chat names and that seems like overkill personally.
  15. Scarlett Jaxx aka Zodiac New Player

I completely agree with this statement. I have seen this so many times, it makes running alerts very frustrating.

One of my big pet peeves is the fact that every powerset has a shield or a support power that could help other players with pickups/cogs/heals/defense etc, but instead most dps take rsk or a second sc because they can't be bothered with actually helping the rest of the team. I would love to see more people picking an extra power that helps others rather than always just looking out for themselves.

I have always believed leaderboards in missions should be retired; I mean really what point do they serve other than bragging rights? If there's no top score to chase, then maybe people will start making builds that focus on benefitting the team as a whole. In other games I have played that have no leaderboards, that's how people build their toons. They add a bit of support even if they are primarily dps, every little bit helps after all.
    • Like x 1
  16. Trykz Dedicated Player

It’s only as toxic as the people in your group, your raid, your friends list, your league.

Every one of which you have complete control over.

Toxicity in your grouo/raid? Kick or league

Toxicity in your league? Kick or leave

Toxicity in your friends list? You know what to do by now I’m sure.
    • Like x 1
  17. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I wouldn't say the SB (scoreboard) needs to be retired, but maybe some aggregate MVP could show up on the board vs 'top dps'. Meaning that you might be top DPS over the 2nd place guy by 10m, but he did a few pickups and died less...so he ends up being 'MVP' regardless. Not sure how to quantify the value of each bit, but right now it's all DPS and only DPS. I've come in 2nd or 3rd but had 0 deaths and multiple pickups as well as running mechanic cogs as needed. Mainly because I don't really care about the scoreboard as much as I do finishing, but yeah....would I enjoy that paying off with some sort of SB recognition if it were a thing, sure....who wouldn't?

If not...ah well...I'll still keep doing pickups and trying not to die as often as possible, and yeah, I'll run those cogs or on several toons I'll forgo a DPS power for shield, If I know the run is mechanic heavy or might result in a lot of pickups. I'm not in the run to be 'top dps'...I'm there to get the run completed and get on with my life.
  18. Hurtyman Active Player

We're kind of struggling to define what "toxic" means in the context of this game because there are so many ways players can poison DCUO for the rest of us. For starters, it isn't "If you don't like and/or agree with something then you call it 'toxic.'" Those are called "differences," deal with them.
    This is a list of qualities and behaviors I think ruin DCUO for people, and run them out of the game:
    1. Racist, misogynistic, homophobic players who think LFG or voice chat is where you go to express these feelings.
    2. Keyboard/voice warriors. We get it, you're the toughest guy in DCUO, and you will totally fly to my nearest national airport, and drive 70 miles to my farm to beat me up. Yeah....
    3. Everyone Sucks Guy/Gal. I'm so very sorry we don't live up to your lofty standards. Hopefully you can find a community of people who are good enough for you.
    4. Dude with 150sp who puts "battle" in front of his support role. We don't care where you are on the leaderboard. We need debuffs, heals, or the adds to focus on you. There's a reason we've wiped so many times.
    5. Guy/gal trying to do a really intricate feat with a PUG group, and complains loud and long when it inevitably fails.
    6. For healers; Toxic Player:"Dude! you suck at healing." Healer; "You were one-shotted. Have you tried blocking?" Toxic Player; "It interrupts my DPSing. Do your job, <insert slur here>."
    7. For Controllers: Toxic Player; (after speeding through his power tray) "I need more power!" Controller; "Try pacing yourself. we haven't even gotten to the boss yet." Toxic Player; "POWER!!!!!!!! <insert slur here>"
    8. For Tanks; TP; "Pick me up, dude!" Tank; "Why did you get between me and the boss?" TP; "melee damage! Pick me up, <insert slur here!>" Tank: "Great. Now I have to draw his aggro all over again, and you're between me and the boss again."
    9. PVP players. "You're not recording this are you?"
    10. Random player who needs a carry. It's one thing to carry a friend or leaguemate now and then, but some guy you don't know who expects you to do everything is a little much.
    11. Gatekeepers. We're all impressed with your elite status, and are all ashamed at our lack of seriousness when it comes to playing this game.
    12. Players who confuse DCUO with a dating site. Swipe left.
    13. Beggars. "I need 20mil for an aura." Do you really?

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but you can get a feel for it.
    • Like x 1
  19. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

While I personally haven't seen the last two, I agree with your list. Also, for points 6-8, There might not always be chat, but actions can be just as toxic as words, and those actions you've described are toxic af. I don't run as a controller, but my main is a healer, and my preferred alt is a tank, and I see that stuff all the time.

Funnily enough, if my healer runs out of power, it doesn't even occur to me to blame the troller. My first thought is either that I need to work on my power level, or that I should have paced myself better.

And may I say, if you're DPS, and one of the roles goes down, you need to stop trying for the top of the leaderboard, and go pick them up. If it's the tank, you need them to keep the enemies from squishing you. If it's the troller or the healer, you need them to keep you in the game. And don't rely on the roles to pick up group members that go down. They're busy trying to keep everyone else alive.
  20. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Hold up y'all actually still have players in HoD? :(
    • Like x 2