Dev Discussion We're The DCUO Art Team. Ask Us Anything!

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Mar 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Hi all!

Several members of the DCUO Art Team will be here answering your questions beginning at 2PM PT today (March 17, 2023). This thread will unlock for your questions two hours before the Q&A starts.

While this is an 'Ask Us Anything,' we do have some guidelines. Posts in this thread should be:
    • Questions please! (not comments)
    • Requests are okay - but our blanket response is a simple "Maybe!"
    • Appropriate and following the Forum Guidelines and Code of Conduct
    • Preferably related to the artistic disciplines
    IF you ask more than one question, we may not be able to answer them all. Ask your favorite one first!

That's it. We look forward to chatting with everyone soon.
    • Like x 9
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The artists answering questions today are:
    • Glitter: Character
    • JayHawk: Character
    • Jazz: Character
    • Elacron: Environment
    • Revrec: Environment
    • pinkhavok: 2D/Concept
    • HAMMERTYME: FX
    • Coffeecat: Outsource
    • Like x 9
  3. Eve YouTuber

Okayyyyyyyyy Haya to all the art Devs!!! I will ask my questions feel free to reply to whichever you want (doesn't have to be all of them)

1) Any tip you can give you young artists starting in the industry?

2) What's your favorite base item or style set that you made for the game?

3) Can you give us in insight to how the art team works, how you pick up what to make and the making process?

4) Is there anything you want to make (Style set, accessory, base item, etc) that you haven't gotten the chance to make to yet?

5) What's your favorite type of art to work on for the game?

6) More of a request - but base items wise, can we have like celling clouds\skies patches we can use for our bases?
    • Like x 6
  4. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

1. What are some characters you especially want to touch up but haven't been able to get to yet?

2. Any chance we could get some of the other older skin styles updated? If possible, I'd also like some of them to get variations for the races so I don't have to pick between a smile or my Asian character looking Asian, for example.

3. How doable would it be to turn some of the styles that show weapons on our backs or such into actual weapon styles (IE the Gotham Knight escrimas, Expert Marksman gun, Future Warden gun, etc.)? Not asking about how likely it is or if it will be done, just the practicality of it. Like, is it difficult but doable or would you have to completely recreate the models?

4. Since I noticed this actual photo (at least I think it is), I've been wondering if it was the cats of anyone who worked on the game at any point or just some stock photo:

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  5. KlarkKent Well-Known Player

Any plans for Murder Machine style?

[IMG]

And lets not forget Devastator.
    [IMG]

We have all other Dark Knight styles from main roster except these two. :oops:
    • Like x 2
  6. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

Hello devs!

Question 1: Who’s the beautiful human doing the textures of the few last materials? I love them. Also what changed between what was being done in the past versus what’s being done now in terms of materials the texturing certainly has improved a lot, is it bump maps being added to the materials?
    Question 2: Are we going to see more materials that are tintable per channel like the wet paint material in the future? I think it’s one of the best.
    Question 3: What software are you guys using for modeling?
    Question 4: How much remodeling do you end up using in the dlc’s vs creating new assets from scratch?
    Question 5: What was the most challenging character that you have worked on to make a reality.

Small request, can we get bigger base items for league halls as well as more room for base items in the league halls? It is still silly that we have a humongus base with tiny tiny chairs or the like. Oh and can we get an anchor emblem for summer event?

Thank you! These kind of AMA are so important for the community I believe. I hope we get to see more of these in the future with other teams!
    • Like x 3
  7. Canadian Justice Committed Player

Does the lack of a Maple Leaf Emblem bother anyone on the art team as much as it bothers me?
    • Like x 2
  8. supermanfan936 New Player

Hello Art Team,

Hope you all are having a great day quick question, Will we ever get a Superman enspired style with the emblem or any new superman inspired styles in the near future?
    [IMG]
    Thanks,
    supermanfan
    • Like x 5
  9. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Are there any plans to bring back Weapon Styles like the previous Weapon Style Packs that were released on the marketplace?

So many unique weapons styles in the game that are always covered by materials
    • Like x 1
  10. BatgirI New Player

Could you possibly add a Batgirl of Burnside based gear set or fix the Batgirl cowl so that it actually shows your hair? Or could you guys add Barbara Gordon’s batgirl in the game, it would really mean a lot
    • Like x 2
  11. MystoganJella Well-Known Player

Y’all are doing so good keep it up and my question I would like to ask you think it’s possible to see old styles and base items from past dlc that we may have seen but never gotten to come to fruition one day :)
    • Like x 2
  12. WookieeWomble New Player

Just want to give huge props to whoever designed Wet Paint. It looks phenomenal.

But...

Is it possible to release an alternative version of it, without the ripple effect? The way it makes the colors pop is just the chef's kiss! In most cases this material have replaced Comic as my go to material.
    • Like x 1
  13. RoyceGlas New Player

Can we get an item that changes the color of our powers (blue fire green rage, black ice ect)?

How about an accessory that changes our character's body type? We see moves all the time that change our characters so why not an accessory we can put on?

When can we expect more heroic emblems? There are more variations of batman logo that could be released. How about more clothes that make the emblems BIG?
    • Like x 3
  14. dfdsghaha New Player

• Like x 1
  15. El El Committed Player

Can we get some super Saiyan hairstyle?
    • Like x 1
  16. jokeheir New Player

okay so for awhile i wanted to know how feasible it would be for us to get updates of the animal skins? specifically the cheetah skin, especial since cheetah got that visual update recently
  17. PrincessBunny Well-Known Player

Hello Devs,

1. Is there any chance of more High Heels for Female characters?
    2. Will we ever get more Animal Skins?
    3. Could we get an update to league halls adding more base items, and removing Prestige Cap or increasing the amount.
    4. How hard is it to make a new Open World for a new dlc and what is your favorite part about creating the open world.
    5. When creating styles is there ones you like better as in a chest style, legs or hair style?
    6. Might we get more skirts or dresses in the future.
    7. Is there still plans for a graphics update.

Thank you for all your hard work and welcome to all the new devs :)
    • Like x 1
  18. WonderWoman4ever New Player

Hi there dear artists!!
    These are my humble questions. Excuse my english by the way , it´s not my native language.
    Any plans for movie based wonder woman´s boots?
    Will be more style content based on Superman? I´d love a bigger emblem and a slimline chestpiece without gloves.
    Will you add another colour channel for more accurate styles?
    Thanks great work last time, keep it up!!
    • Like x 3
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Just a reminder for everyone that requests like "Can you add...", "Will we ever get...", and "Any plans for..." won't have any answers today. Maybe!
    • Like x 3
  20. RoyceGlas New Player

Would it be possible to put materials on skins or emblems? Like is there a reason we can't Like a technical boundary or was it a choice?
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.