THINGS THAT MAKE THIS GAME GREAT

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by GhostRyder3000, Feb 10, 2023.

1. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

In honor of "THE GREAT COMPLAIN FREE WEEKEND"....

What do you think puts this game above all others... most others...?

1) The best "Create Your Own Look" options out there.
    The options are endless.
    Most other games would have 100 Hulks on the screen at one times.

2) The combat system. Free flowing fighting as opposed to turn-based combat.

3) The world-building. It kinda comes with the territory... Sure, being linked to an existing IP might have it's restrictions.... but, the feel of being personally immersed the the DC Universe... is more than satisfying.

What say you?
    • Like x 6
  2. TheEnquirer Active Player

1. The loyal fanbase. I've been playing about ten years now. I've seen people come and go. But I do really appreciate everyone who continues to support this silly little game, despite the many times the company has shot itself in its foot. Without us, it's hard to doubt this game would have survived as long as it did. We really are partial investors. When you think of whales, DCUO definitely comes to mind. It's also nice to know you always have the option to come back to a long-standing community and de-stress.

2. Agreed. One of the things that IMMEDIATELY drew me in to DCUO is the specific camera angle(s) we play from and how distinct and creative the playstyles/combat experiences you can have are. Once upon a time I used to be apart of a small gaming community on the Xbox 360 for TRON: Evolution. It had a similar concept with acrobatics. It was all PvP, but the maps were well thought out and you could easily get from one side to the next.

3. Agreed. As much as people complain the stories and content are dry and could be better (true), I'm just glad I got to be apart of some of it. I do look back fondly over certain periods of time, it can't all be gold. This game has definitely taught me a lot about teamwork and what it means to be a superhero, LOL!
    • Like x 5
  3. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

What makes this games combat great is the fact that the players experience trump's all even ur own stats and other players stats. Unfortunately that means stats don't matter they do not matter cuz if they did you wouldn't get one shotted. Unfortunately this causes a massive problem because experienced players will refuse to play with unexperienced players. this here is why we either play with very experienced players for elite and plus. so it's super easy instead of running reg with noobs who makes reg feel like an elite run. Yes thank you stats revamp for lowering your player base by a massive amount a great revamp indeed
  4. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

All of the above plus the really great people out there I have met. There are people from all different backgrounds, cultures, countries, and I have gotten to meet and interact with them all thru DCUO.

This is a point I keep coming back too, we have a unique community of players here on DCUO. I tend to see more of the good than the bad (which isn’t to say there aren’t bad people who are a part of our community, I have encountered some creepers…… YIKES).

We have a game with a uniqueness to it which has found its way in our hearts. It is the reason for all of the passionate debates both here and on the in-game Chats.

I’m glad I found this game in 2014. I’ve met some really wonderful people who are my friends and some of whom I consider family.

I believe the players are a part of what makes DCUO great also in addition to the wonderful points made by GhostRider and the Enquier.
    • Like x 5
  5. TheEnquirer Active Player

I will admit one of DCUO's biggest downfalls was not adapting / pivoting quick enough. Yes, things would change, and they would change again, but not aggressively enough. Now, as people have mentioned, the system(s) are so old we're grinding to a halt. Meta shifts are important.
  6. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

Hey! HEY! HEY!!

Not this weekend.... Save that **** for Sunday. [IMG]

[IMG]
  7. Tolly Committed Player

1) The dynamics of the gameplay, quite unique and rather modern, where usually the gameplay style for mmorpg's of its time was more on a style a la FF XIV, guild wars 2, rift and other such games.

2) Being able to play as a superhero in an MMO style, which is rather atypical in this environment.

3) Wide range of character customisation options.
    • Like x 1
  8. iEddyGaming Active Player

Like others said.

1) Character Customization: Love it. Hundreds of options to create thousands of styles.

2) Hard light: The ability to play my favourite DC Character, construct combos, mix and match instead of getting fixed to 4 powers like other games which offered Green Lantern characters.

3) Combat System: Kinda related to what I said above but the combat system is one of its kind. Really really enjoyable (when it's not broken) :p

4) PvP: oops! will talk on Sunday. :D
    • Like x 5
  9. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Honestly, the combat system in this game, is still one of the best I've played in any MMO. I find in a lot of games, your toon is static, and performs an animation, While I'm sure if I dissect it, the same is true in DCUO, they've fluidly linked the animations, so you can tell different player's styles.
    • Like x 1
  10. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

100% agree! I much prefer the combat system in DCUO!
  11. Eve YouTuber

This game is special on It's own. Being centered around the DC Universe, and you fight alongside the greatest heroes or the worse villains. The styles options are endless, you can be an iconic or you can make an original amazing style. I've been playing since 2016 and I can say the game went through a lot of changes since then. So them not stopping and keep on trying is refreshing, and keeps the game going. Additionally, decorating your bases is one of my favorite things the game offers.
    • Like x 2
  12. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

That's one of the things that I'm sure I'd like.... but, just never got into.

There are some amazing bases out there that just seem completely transformed into their own world.

I don't have that kind of artistic eye/foresight.
    • Like x 2
  13. Eve YouTuber

Sometimes you just need to have an idea and the right seasonal up, and it kinda does It's own thing ;)
    • Like x 1
  14. Random Mind Dedicated Player

Frankly, it's the only Superhero MMO in town when you play on consoles. I think DCUO could be so much better if it just had some competition in that market. Or maybe it wouldn't have lasted as long... but I'll save that thought for after Sunday.
    • Like x 1
  15. Rip Kurrent Well-Known Player

I have a couple of things that give DCUO a special place in my heart when it comes to gaming. But most people have covered them already.

The combat system. I've played Neverwinter, I've tried WoW a long time ago and neither of those compare to DCUO in my opinion. The combat on DCUO seems much more fluid than the other games I've played also. I'm able to have more variety as far as what powers I can equip.

The community. There are definitely some cool folks in the community. I've been playing for most of the game's life and made a lot of friends. Over the last few years, I have become a lone wolf for the most part. With that being said, most of the people who I do have interactions with are pretty chill

3. Character customization. I like the fact that we have so many options. It really opens up possibilities when it comes to matching your appearance closely with your power..if you're into themes that is.
    • Like x 3
  16. beardrive Committed Player

One of the things that I like the most about DCUO is base design. I love creating new worlds that you can actually walk into, creating the environments that you're actually living in, fighting in, sleeping in, and eating in. I played final fantasy for two years, and they destroyed my home when I left. When I came back here? My Christmas tree was still sitting in my main room. I'm pretty sure I'll never go back to that game again after having crafted most of those items for my home knowing that they were destroyed because I didn't keep up my subscription for their district based housing system.

Personally I use DCUO as a think space, a fidget, so it helps me to work through puzzles, and I have come up with perception changing ideas about life simply by exobiting while I waited for a raid to pop.

And finally socially, I ended up on the EU servers due to a friend that I wanted to play with. I have met more people in more European countries that I'm going to even bother naming here. It's more than two dozen. I know profanity in about 5 more languages than I ever knew before, and I think I know more about how people are all over the entire planet now just from having played this game and speaking to them on voice chat. Someone else might say what one or two other games had an original agreement to have voice chat for free without having to subscribe to any PlayStation PSN plans, but I know that DCUO was one of the original ones, and there were only a couple more.

My experience with the player base has been 95% positive, and the 5% that has not been has been easily dealt with with a simple /ignore. Feel free to use it liberally, and en masse! :)

But I've had a great time here, and over the last year and a half or two I've really realized how many intelligent and creative people are designing bases and styles in this game. I think for the 12th anniversary I watched all nine hours of the base celebration, and everybody's work was badass. You are really truly creative people, and I think it's really fun to play a game with people who are that much fun who are also that creative. Thanks!
    • Like x 3
  17. Ghostknight Well-Known Player

I have played this game for 10 years and still love it. Is it perfect no, but I still love it and will play it until they close the doors. I believe our community is divided between ppls that play just for fun only and those that play for fun too, but competitively. When these two come together sometimes it makes for unpleasant play for both.

Therefore, I think by getting rid of the scoreboard for Event and Normal play it will eliminate a lot of the competitiveness that often causes problems within this game. Elite and Elite Plus, without any type of clamp, should be the competitive side of the game. Every tier instance should have an elite and elite plus option (I know extra work for the Devs).

I know some people won't like this but, we have to find a way for new players to want to stay. Let new players hopefully start in event and normal without being harassed about their style of play and when they are ready for competition style play, move on to elite and elite plus. Players that don't care about the scoreboard stats and just want to play for fun will like this too.

No matter what replies comes from this, I will love this game and play it to the end.

Thank you Devs, and PPLs
    • Like x 3
  18. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

4) So many little things to do.
    Spent the day working on a new character.. Today was Briefings. It was fun going after all the Episode Briefings and Fanchise Briefings again.

5) The People
    In going after the Episode Briefings... I had to LFG for different mentors for some of the instances...
    Took seconds to get help.. and everyone was courteous and friendly.
    • Like x 2
  19. Dene Devoted Player

I miss that too.. Briefings, investiugations.. open world collections to track down.. cokllections that I could put on broker if i got lucky with a spare rare one etc
    • Like x 1
  20. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

I love my characters. It's like making up your own comic book and cartoon all at the same time.
    • Like x 3