Reflecting On State Of The Game and DB

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Bathroom Dad, Feb 7, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bathroom Dad Active Player

So, as many of us have come to hear about the empty positions at Daybreak, it’s had me reflecting about where we are as players and what the future looks like.

Personally, I don’t understand how DB could be in such a mess right now after getting a 300 million dollar buyout a couple years back. Why are so many people leaving and why aren’t those positions being filled.

Now, I haven’t been a doom and gloom player since 2014 screaming dc is dying like people have. But I think the game and probably company is rounding third base on its life span. We will probably get 3-4 more years but I think it’s fair to say this game has plateaued and is shrinking drastically.

I never see DC advertise, and their never ending cycle of time capsules tied to feats give zero incentive for new players to join or stay. Cr jumping is garbage, bc it doesn’t teach new players anything about the game and no one wants to run with them, so they get kicked and eventually quit.

I guess where I am at with DC is if it shut down tomorrow I’d probably be sad for a day or two, but relieved that it’s over. I’ve been here since 2012, and have dumped thousands of dollars I to this game. But the truth is, the good times I’ve had in the past will never be replicated. Daybreaks recent approach to any content is stale recycled content and ideas. And while I still play everyday, it’s more of a chore than an enjoyment. The devs may work “hard”, but their work looks unenthusiastic and bland.

So, I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m at the point of I’ll play as long as it’s here, but secretly I want this game to end like I do a bad relationship. It’s repetitive and hasn’t brought anything exciting to the table in a long time. And let’s be honest, I’ve never seen a game so blatantly take advantage of players financially like they do, and I’m personally over it.

So while I have met many friends here, and made a lot of great memories, I won’t be too sad when it inevitably dies. It’s not the fault of the players. It’s the fault of the devs, management, and investors that turned a once great game into an absolute trash heap.

Just my ¢2
    • Like x 7
  2. Proxystar #Perception

The reality is none of us know anything about the companies inner workings or strength, it's all just conjecture and people have been saying this game will be dead by tomorrow for 10 years now.
    • Like x 11
  3. MyHeadIsBurning New Player

It is on life support and consistently dying off, but I want to meet my girl Proxystar before it is completely done.
    • Like x 1
  4. Bathroom Dad Active Player

Like I said in post, not a sky is falling player. But let’s be real. Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. This game isn’t growing in any direction. Not growing its player base, the game, or fresh ideas.

People are gonna defend the game no matter what, but I’m a realist. It’s 12 years old, and bc of the legacy code, it hasn’t evolved at all. 12 years old and just now they are just getting to the point of adding new animations.

It is what it is, and I’m not trashing the game. But it’s pretty clear daybreak through a series of horrendous decisions backed themselves into a corner with micro transactions tied to feats, spaghetti coding, and thinking rushing new players to endgame content was a good idea.

I could go on. But like I said not a doom and gloom guy, but the oceans are receding and it’s only a matter of time before reality hits.
    • Like x 5
  5. Proxystar #Perception

Well, have I got some awkward news for you.

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  6. Proxystar #Perception

And yet, WoW is still here, Swtor is still here, Final Fantasy in some iteration is here, Everquest is still there... DCUO is still here....

People have been hypothesizing its demise since 2012, when SOE got hacked it was supposed to die as well, when they released more lifetime accounts, it was supposed to die as well., when it went monthly, it was supposed to die.

Yet, here we are, game is still not dead.

So I don't know, you can hypothesize all you like, claim to be a realist all you like, but if we're being realists there's more chance this game will just keep limping on, if that's how you want to describe it than not.

Could it shut down tomorrow, sure, hell Blizzard could declare bankruptcy tomorrow too and shut down WoW, no one ever knows.

But what I will say is, negative conjecture doesn't typically tend to help either, nor does referring to is as an "absolute trash heap".

Are there issues with it, sure, is it really an "absolute trash heap" probably not, because we're all still here.
    • Like x 3
  7. Bathroom Dad Active Player

We are all not still here. We are a fraction of what the player base was 8 years ago. And it’s been getting worse every single year.
    • Like x 3
  8. thedemonocus Loyal Player

There is multiple reasons people are leaving, here's a few of them.

-Stat clamp for 1 whether you are for it or against it the clamp has divided players and probably did more harm than good.

-Artifacts basically sold us back the power they took away when they ditched AMs and made having alts even less desirable.

-Toxic players and snobs do a lot to drive players away.

-PVP has been ignored for years and while i myself am not a fan of it there is a lot of players who are and many have left over it.

-Boring 100 kill bounty feats and reused content have also not helped things and make the game feel more like a chore than fun.

-Cheaters/exploiters/hackers seem to get away with murder cause the devs don't seem to be doing enough about them.

-Still can't share materials with alts, for example i have shaded comic on my main and know that i will never be able to get it for my alts and it sad because materials should have always been unlockable for our alts.

-Not alt friendly at all, making characters is 1 of my favorite things to do but because of all the barriers its not worth the headache to make them.
    • Like x 9
  9. Bathroom Dad Active Player

Excuse me, but stop spitting facts. The loyalists find it disgusting. Lol
    • Like x 3
  10. Bathroom Dad Active Player

Also, just a quick update. I’ve been Q’ed now for 10 min on the USPS/PC server for 10 minutes for endgame alerts or raids. Do you call that good? Thriving? Successful? Or could you agree this is why i believe things are dying.
    • Like x 3
  11. Proxystar #Perception

Got Proof? I'm not saying the population hasn't decreased, but if you're going to make assertions the population is so low the game is imminently at risk of closure then some proof on your part wouldn't be a bad thing, unless of course, you um.. I don't know can't prove it.

And look I'm not being unrealistic, I know the population isn't what it was back in the day and in fairness this is probably true of almost any video game, especially ones that have been running more than a decade.

But I also think we need to be careful about spreading doom and gloom especially when citing evidence as being the reason when we literally have no idea what is going on.

In your opening post for example you've begun in your first sentence by highlighting job vacancies. I think players should be careful when drawing conclusions about something while using reasoning they have absolutely no true real knowledge of.

A company advertising positions, isn't indicative they're in trouble the only conclusion you should be drawing from it is that they're looking for some people to fill some needed positions, there's no need to jump to the conclusion that the game is shutting down lol, even if it did.
  12. Proxystar #Perception

You're Q'ed for raids 24 hours away from weekly resets and complaining there's less people around?
  13. Proxystar #Perception

14. Bathroom Dad Active Player

Pretty weak argument. A thriving a well populated game would Q in seconds or maybe a couple minutes 7 days a week. But sure okay let’s talk about that. Weekly resets. The only game I know that makes you pay to get in game currency if you replay it. Add that to the list of reason people are leaving. Could you imagine having to pay EA every time you wanted play a game in Madden? But let’s defend that system to the core.

I know you love being devils advocate despite the topic, but even for you that’s bad lol.
    • Like x 3
  15. Proxystar #Perception

That's just not true at all and I don't even have to play devil's advocate I genuinely think you're wrong.

You're literally attempting to portray a game is "dying" while complaining about the queue times at the lowest possible points of activity in the week, it's just a ridiculously laughable premise.

Also what are you talking about "replays" for, replays are optional, most games in this genre don't even offer replays, once you're done for the week that's it, done.

Personally I think they should scrap replays, but for other reasons.
  16. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

Can't really argue against any of this..... except for the secretly wanting it to end bit...

I still have hope... not really.... but, I have wishes....
  17. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

-Stat clamp for 1 whether you are for it or against it the clamp has divided players and probably did more harm than good.
    1000% AGREED

-Artifacts basically sold us back the power they took away when they ditched AMs and made having alts even less desirable.
    AGREED

-Toxic players and snobs do a lot to drive players away.
    I could see that...

-PVP has been ignored for years and while i myself am not a fan of it there is a lot of players who are and many have left over it.
    AGREED

-Boring 100 kill bounty feats and reused content have also not helped things and make the game feel more like a chore than fun.
    Meh... Ya gotta do something...

-Cheaters/exploiters/hackers seem to get away with murder cause the devs don't seem to be doing enough about them.
    TRUE..... but for me not a deal-breaker

-Still can't share materials with alts, for example i have shaded comic on my main and know that i will never be able to get it for my alts and it sad because materials should have always been unlockable for our alts.
    AGREED

-Not alt friendly, making characters is 1 of my favorite things to do but because of all the barriers its not worth the headache to make them.
    AGREED
  18. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

His point,,, is that THAT USED TO NOT MATTER.
  19. Proxystar #Perception

No, the time of week in which you queued has always mattered and it remains so.

If you leave your raids until the end of the week you're scraping the bottom of the barrel and this has always been true.
    • Like x 1
  20. not serious Well-Known Player

i have wait 2 3 hours for a centennial finally start yesterday;)
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.