Supergirl / Superman emblem

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TriceraNL, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Eve YouTuber

I've been in several iconic leagues over the years, and interacted with a few "Iconics" on different servers (Xbox, US PCPS) and people just love and enjoy being their favorite character or whatever is close to it. Marvel or DC or anything, really. I saw the OG Charmed once, too xD I look at this as elseworld version of that said character. As one who's been apart of this world It's just a joy a lot of people can't really get if they don't join a dedicated league and hang with people who does that.

The biggest issue I see around iconics is the "YOU COPIED MY STYLE" when It's literally based on an existing character like Wonder Woman or Batman. That's another reason I started my Iconic Styles series. So players can and should take inspiration or use my styles if they want, it personally doesn't bother me. But yes, I do think we get a bit entitled and starting to demand more even when It's outside of the Devs control at this point.
    • Like x 3
  2. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yeah, while the game's main concept is about our own OCs and what-not and while that is what I personally prefer for the most part, at the end of the day it really doesn't hurt anyone if someone wants to make Samus or Psylocke or so on and find creative ways to make the options the game has work for these characters or just putting their own twists on DC characters' designs or even just straight recreating the umpteenth Batman. Preferences are fine, but I really don't get how obsessive some people can get about hating Iconics, like not even just having the opinion which is fine and their business and all but like.... actively putting in effort just to hate on the idea. Like.... what are they, J. Jonah Jameson?! Can some Iconics and their leagues be toxic? Believe me, they can (I still have no idea wtf those Power Rangers kept warring over all the time in shout chat a while back other than something about only caring about looks or whatever), but that's far from exclusive to them. It's also far from inherent to them either. Some may argue it breaks immersion but the game is always talking about the multiverse and also..... trust me, there's a lot of non-Iconics that break immersion far worse than Iconics ever do. It's also an interesting way to see what characters are especially popular amongst the game's players like how until recently Tim is a Robin that has often been overlooked and forgotten or just brushed over as people and DC would do the whole favoritism thing towards Dick or just be focused on Damian because he's current and Jason has been bashed to the point of being killed off but more recently has been growing a lot in popularity and interest but I see a LOT of Tim Drakes, both Robin and Red Robin, and a LOT of Red Hoods running around and have since I started in 2018, getting surprisingly close to rivaling the amount of Nightwings, actually. This is especially true of characters that either haven't made it into the game yet or have but are still barely in it. it's also great for getting fun pictures. Plus, it's just fun and hilarious seeing fraggin' Bibleman or Goku help the Justice League fight Perpetua.

Plus, what really counts as an Iconic, anyway? I have a Batgirl, a Nightwing, a Superman, a Supergirl, etc. but they're all my own characters that have taken up those mantles and not recreations of existing characters who've held those titles. Are they Iconics because they're Batgirl, Nightwing, Superman, and Supergirl or are they not Iconics because they aren't Babs, Dick, Clark, or Kara? I also have a few characters that are existing DC characters like Damian, Jon, Babs, and Tim BUT are my own elseworld spins on them with their own designs and backstories (Babs and Tim being sorta warped, Punisher-y versions of themselves in a Batman-less world where Bruce died with his parents, Damian and Jon being sorta an Injustice type deal but centered around Damian) and even different super-names. Are they Iconics because they're Babs, Tim, Damian, and Jon or are they not Iconics because they're new takes on these characters? What actually qualifies as an Iconic in the first place?

I know this isn't what the thread is originally about and I am not reacting to anyone in specific or accusing anyone in specific of anything, just wanted to put my two cents out there about the topic in general.
    • Like x 2
  3. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Yeah like those lantern styles would look awesome but I’ll never use the chest pieces since there is a huge lantern logo on them. Some of the coolest looking slimline suits in the game in my opinion
    • Like x 1
  4. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

I would buy that for a dollar. ;)

Heck.... I would buy that for a dollar each. ;)
  5. Dene Devoted Player

100% and me being like i am, I wont ever use the leg styles of same slimlines because they do not match LOL
  6. Dene Devoted Player

I can imagine some the tells ppl get with ppl accusing others etc :(

I LOVE "inspired by"/Elseworlds stuff - a twist on an iconic.. heck.. my toon is an evolution of ideas from WW etc

I rarely talk about this because, I am ALSO of the opinion that many types pof players play the game and we can't ignore the wants/needs of some too much - iconic/rpg players included! I just think that demanding EXACT copies or stances etc negates the fantasy/originaity a bit - I like the twist on an OG etc
    • Like x 1
  7. Ranmaru Developer

I'm sure we've answered this question several times, that being said any time I can ask for an iconic anything I try to ask for it, most of the team does as well.

DC is protective over certain things, but we know players love having these iconic things in the game so we will keep requesting them. I can assure you there is no greater conspiracy about what does/doesn't get into the game.
    • Like x 12
  8. Tolly Committed Player

We'll have to start a petition...
  9. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I know this isn’t a dev issue, but a dc comics issue… but I for one think it’s pretty silly they don’t let people use this stuff if they want.. what exactly are they protecting …none of this game is canon, so I don’t know what it would even hurt.. I could wear a Superman shirt and go rob a bank wearing it that would have more “negative” press on Superman than anything this game could do any yet they will still sell the shirts.

I know you can’t answer this question, but it’s just something they doesn’t make sense to me.

Something you may be able to answer tho… why are we not able to get the enhanced house of el war suit still on market place or in the anniversary vendor … you guys still let us get the Wonder Woman inspired gear the Batman style the lex style and the flash style. But the Superman one is not available anywhere. Is there any reason? I don’t remember it being a timed exclusive, anymore than the other ones were for cr skipping. Just curious
  10. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I’ll mix and match some slimline stuff if it’s the same material etc… but the lantern ones are look awkward with anything other than their chest or leg partner. So sadly it’s the same for me … the only character I have that uses a lantern slimline is my hard light hero and that is it
    • Like x 1
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Let's say you have an intellectual property (that you have complete control over) that is long-lived, financially lucrative and well-loved. On top of that, one part of that IP has long been associated with one of the best known heroic characters in recent memory, a character who embodies the best qualities of humanity that many strive for.

To what lengths would you go to to make sure that IP and everything associated with it remains as free from any sort of tarnish as possible? What might you do to make sure it stays financially lucrative? How far might you go to make sure that you don't endanger or take out the golden goose you have in your possession?
    • Like x 1
  12. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I get your point but it doesn’t make much sense it’s slapped on just about everything. Doesn’t make sense that in a game that actually is set in a world where that character lives and breathes… the logo would be so protected. When in the real world you can get that logo on beer mugs shot glasses cigarette lighters soda cans candy fruit snacks tshirts hats under wear robes stickers hitch guards pencils pens name it and it’s been branded … hell toy guns at one point.

I don’t get why it’s protected from the free use of it in game where they only gave us a timed exclusive for it. What is it gonna hurt… and if the argument is well cause only Superman should wear it id agree with you if it wasn’t already plastered on hoodies capes and chest pieces that both heroes and villains have access too.

I get your argument but in this gas wb/dc is being over protective about one tiny aspect with no rhyme or reason as to why… when they’re response if that even is their response is “we want to protect it”
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

And as I've said before, it doesn't have to make sense to us, and they're really under no obligation to explain themselves. If it makes sense to them, that's all that really matters to them.

If I had an IP that was successful and maintained strict control over it, I could be as inconsistent as I wished about how it could be used. Heck, if I decided that only people sharing the same zodiac sign as myself could make use of aspects of my IP and had the clout and money to make it stick (much in the way DC has) then that would be how it would be. I could take a meeting with someone who could lay out the most logical arguments about why they should be able to use my IP for their project and decide they don't get to use it because I didn't like how they parted their hair.

I could get more ridiculous (heck, that might be an interesting thought exercise LOL), but you get my point.

DC is going to DC. If they happen to change their minds, awesome. But I'm not going to hold my breath on it and I'm not going to be surprised if they stay their current course.
    • Like x 2
  14. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

The trademark won't, so that doesn't matter.
  15. xVAULTxDWELLERx New Player

Its now available again until the end of the year! 150 marks from that Fugis(?) guy at the house of legends.
  16. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Repeating the official announcement and endless discussions is not necessary.