Executive Producer, Creative Director, and Lead Designer

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BumblingB, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Trexlight Devoted Player

But im a quick learner! Keep the faith! Tell ya what, I'll put in an exclusive Blue Beetle/Booster Gold episode. Nothing but them lol
    • Like x 2
  2. BumblingB I got better.

I think your pal Spytle was the only one that was announced leaving when he got promoted and moved to San Diego. (Which later he was fired. lol) There have been several that announced their leaving on social media platforms, usually when they find another job that is better. Oceans, Megzilla, SJ Miller, etc.

I do think that the game will be fine, just going to be more of what we have had. Based off the development update that Mepps released, it feels like since they already had stuff in production, that this year will be okay, but I do think we might have a bubble that will be filled with another Save the Universe which will represent the time when they finally fill these positions.

You got my backing.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  3. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

Right, except that's not what the article you posted says at all.

Halo moving from Slipspace to UE5 is true, the exaggeration of dates is completely false. 343 built a game engine called BLAM for Halo 5 in 2015 (already past the 90s - early 2000s timeline), Slipspace is a completely new game engine, with code brought over from the old BLAM engine. 2 mins of a search for the Slipspace Engine and you'll even see the Microsoft Recruitment Website that was made to bring in Devs to help build it. So some of the coding in the engine is 8yrs old, which means Slipspace itself is less than.
  4. Lugo Well-Known Player

the devs and most players were fine with the game putting business first and exploiting its players with loot boxes and pay 2 win features like replay badges and feats/SPs locked in loot boxes... and other BS to squeeze as much money out of whoever is still playing

had DCUO focused on just being a fun and interesting game the whole, it could've competed with the most successful MMOs. instead nobody know or cares about it even though superheroes have a stranglehold on pop culture right now

there's no loot boxes in FFXIV, a game that actually respects its players and it's the top MMO in the world now
    • Like x 2
  5. Trexlight Devoted Player

Not every game is created equally nor funded equally. Different Games do Different things. Some things work, some dont. The Devs absolutely care about the players. I havent met a game dev that doesnt. Businesses are all different and handle changes differently. Doesnt mean we need to compare apples to oranges. Hopefully new leadership can bring new ideas and funding changes to better the game.
    • Like x 2
  6. inferno Loyal Player

I think megzilla, nerd, oceans and charon did so but they were the most communicative of the bunch I've seen and it's probably under their non-disclosure agreement when they departed and would have had to have gotten special permission from the company.
    Personally, I don't really need to know when a dev has left, but only for the reason to wish them well and thank them for their contribution to the game and even the forums. As you said, my interest in them is basically limited to their impact on the game and the experience. I don't want to be too intrusive in their personal lives, so I don't want to know their names or contact them at all outside of whatever is relevant to this game.
    For me when they did the livestream for the charities during Covid in their personal homes, I thought that was too personal. But they were doing it for charity and for what they believed in and it was their choice and I am grateful for that.
    The announcement I was referring to was to anybody coming in and saying hi and hello and since these are 3 top positions that have great ramifications for the development of the game, I would hope that whoever is coming into these positions would be excited to share what they hope to accomplish.
    But again, these is just me hoping what they would do; I'm not necessarily waiting on baited breath.

Que sera, sera. What ever will be, will be.
  7. Bathroom Dad Active Player

8. Lugo Well-Known Player

the more that players expect and demand nothing from the people who take their money, the longer this game will rot in the shadows

it's good to make a fair comparison sometimes, these games are very different but have some crossover with them both being action fantasy MMOs in the worlds of very popular IP. im not saying DCUO has to be everything FFXIV is, just that the defense of the devs focusing more on taking people's money over making a fun game has only been detrimental. though it can be hard to accept that things could've and should've been much better for everyone

now they are scrambling for new talent to figure out new scams
    maybe DCUO nfts will be next :oops:
    • Like x 3
  9. BumblingB I got better.

In terms of writing, yeah, I think Spytle was better. SJ was too narrow minded and only introduced content that she personally liked and the game lacked diversity in content for different players love. It's funny, she said she was a huge Batgirl fan and other Bat family content, but mostly produced Magic based content. (And yes, Metal was magic based.)
    • Like x 1
  10. zNot Loyal Player

I agree and considering they rather work on emotes then fix issues that are discussed here daily.
    • Like x 1
  11. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

And now she's working on the new Wonder Woman game that hopefully doesn't flop.
  12. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Spytle was amazing WHEN* he took player feedback. He is what we needed a director or even a dev to be that actually interacted with the community within the game through content and pvp. But when he decided what he thought was in the best interest of the community ie removing jump cancelling, introducing the terrible weapon mastery, removing RPS from pvp and introducing the awful movement mode debuffs his deficiencies were evident.

Case in point was my relationship with Jens, he used to be in our league teamspeak all the time pvping with us, he used to tank our raids and to go from that to where we ended up with that "Putting on a players hat form thread"... to banning the word "obsidianchill" in his twitch chat.
    • Like x 1
  13. Emoney Dedicated Player

It's hard to compare to FF due to the fact it's a subscription model only. And, maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's the only MMO that stuck to that model when all others went F2P with ingame purchases. This game tried that model, it didn't work, but it also was very early on and DCUO was severe lacking content at the time.

I for one would much rather pay the sub, and get all artifacts and allies for free without the catalyst purchases to level them. Or all of the time capsule items from ingame investigations/briefings.
    • Like x 1
  14. BumblingB I got better.

I find it funny how people throw around cosmetics as a means to think they aren't "fixing" the game. You do know that cosmetics is a completely different department than gameplay development right? It would be the Art and UI department. Would require very little if at all from the programming design one. This is why they can throw out Time Capsules so much. Gives the Art Department something to do while they wait to work on the next DLC. Which usually takes 6 months to a year to develop.

I do get that we are all frustrated in the whole situation of content being small or lackluster, but come on, the gameplay is a lot harder to deal with.
  15. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I was going by the dates given in the linked article:

“Sources familiar with the studio's workings had added that the Slipspace engine, which powers Halo Infinite, is being pushed out to make way for Unreal Engine. As for why the change from an in-house solution to Unreal, Slipspace had been described as buggy and difficult to work with due to being based on code from 1990s and early 2000s. Features like classic game modes are still being held up due to it's problems, per the report.”
  16. BumblingB I got better.

He definitely had his extremes. He was never in the middle. He either worked with the community and communicated or went on full this is for your own good cover his ears mode. I remember when my whole league was helping with the test server and everything we reported was ignored and it was because of Spytle's response after the junk went live that we all just stopped going to test for testing. I was the only one left to try and test and even then, it was not as extensive as I did.

Had similar experiences with Spytle. Heck I remember giving him the paintings of his characters. He also was one to ban me on the forums when they added something that just hurt the community and I spoke out. (CR Differential and CR Relevancy.)
    • Like x 2
  17. zNot Loyal Player

No im talking about other things basic things that they knew about before many of the devs left. Working on emotes during these tough times already tells enough,im even fine with the content they are understaffed thats understandable but they always somehow have enough time to do cosmetics,styles and so on :)
  18. BumblingB I got better.

I don't think you understood what I just said in the post you quoted me.

Cosmetics is NOT equal to gameplay development. Cosmetics is something that can be done fast and released without having to really test it. (Minus a few VFX elements and clipping problems.) All the problems that YOU and I and EVERYONE is experiencing can't be fixed by the Art Department. Art Department deals with character models, object design, map design, etc. They can't fix a game bug. They can fix a clipping problem with objects. They "might" be able to fix a map problem, but that's systems job.

Just because they can shell out a new cosmetic, does not mean they aren't trying to fix the game as the art department doesn't fix the game.
    • Like x 1
  19. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

But then also forgot to mention the following:

"The first Unreal Engine-powered Halo will reportedly be a new game from Certain Affinity and 343 Industries code-named Tatanka."

343 aren't porting everything. Because they cant. At best they may be able to bring over certain assets and have an AI upscale program bring them up to UE5s fidelity standards, but there'd still be work to do on them. Game Engines alone don't hold Games together, all standard games are built using multiple companies' programs and/or property, which sometimes do not match with what UE5 would require. In other words you could only confidently consider a very small percentage of the game pre-made, and everything else has to be built from scratch. Otherwise, considering folks still log in and play old Halo Games' multiplayer, if it was so easy, it'd be in their interest to port them all over.
  20. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

UE5 is super scalable. Fortnight runs in UE5. Shifting it to UE5 would likely be boon to perfromance.