Executive Producer, Creative Director, and Lead Designer

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BumblingB, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

You'd figure at some point in this games' 12 year run that some where at the half way point, at least, of this game, the devs and Daybreak /D' Ink would have started to build a new game engine to migrate DCUO to.

It seems like "We have no plans for this/that/them/those" or some such is almost meaning "We dont have a team or any devs to do this/that/them/those"

Day one of DCUO's release, it had unlimited potential. Year 12 that potential is still there.... if there are any plans to. Instead its Rehash, recycle, release, repeat.

Despite the community wants over the years, be it new powers, powerset expansions, etc etc etc etc. At least we'll have an industry defining Emotes system.
    • Like x 3
  2. Eve YouTuber

[IMG]
    • Like x 5
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

To be fair, any game/project has unlimited potential, especially in the minds of those who will let their imaginations fly free.

Unfortunately reality has quite a nasty gravitational pull.
    • Like x 1
  4. BumblingB I got better.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  5. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I found this interesting article on Neowin about 343 switching to Unreal Engine 5 for Halo:

https://www.neowin.net/news/report-...tch-in-unreal-engine-no-story-content-coming/

According to the article the Slipstream Engine in Halo is from the late 90s to early 2000s. So there is going to be an example of a company switching from an old game engine to a new game engine.

Granted, Microsoft has vast resources to throw at this undertaking, but according to their own filings with the FTC in their bid to acquire Blizzard/Activision, they are actually a small, underdog of a gaming company..... -_-
  6. Tarn Level 30

Marvel game was canceled. Devs leaving DCUO. Hard to dont call it as red flags for people who would come to become developer of game.
    Current game content is mostly based on seasonals, time capsules/allaies for money, and in very big part reskinned new episodeds 2-3 times a year. Beside this nothing new dont happen in this game. No new powers, no impromevents to powers/combat system, basicly nothing.
    Every game have is lifespan, and stagnation only speed up end.
    In my opinion, if nothing will change and there wont be any improvements,this game will have max 2 years.
    • Like x 2
  7. Rejchadar Inquisitor

Well, let's say the allied system is a very big change in the dynamics of the battle ... but oh well ...
    ....as for 2 years ... 2 years is also not so little ... in the last 2 years I have been to 3 funerals, and at the one baptism... so it all depends on the sitting position from which the view is made...

today I talk too much...
    • Like x 2
  8. zNot Loyal Player

We are getting new emote system.. that will save the game ;p
    • Like x 2
  9. Wallachia Devoted Player

Fine. I'll send my resume again.

My first move as a Producer will be to add a non-red cross violating medical emblem.
    • Like x 1
  10. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I can't help but wonder, with all the layoffs in the tech industry lately, there might be some applications being filled? I know in video games, especially during the growth they experienced in the teens, there was probably a big desire to work on the new shiny. Ultimately, when you need food on the table, your parameters change.
  11. inferno Loyal Player

We've lost and replaced all these positions before and the game is still here. What I get from this is simply:

The company is still looking for more talented people to join and keep the game going.

These are top positions in the game, that means we are getting new people in charge of the game and that could very well imply that the game might head to new directions. Change is good. And one thing I've learned when new leaders come into any new company, they want to shake things up and prove that they can turn things around because if the changes are successful it means better prospects in their future.
    • Like x 3
  12. BumblingB I got better.

It's less about availability and more of the positions themself. These are the top for each section of their respectable departments, so they need people with experience and can't hire an entry level applicant.
    • Like x 1
  13. Trexlight Devoted Player

Where's the faith for Director Trex? :'(
    • Like x 1
  14. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

today?
  15. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

[IMG]
  16. BumblingB I got better.

*checks requirement* I think you might be lacking a few years of experience. ;)
    • Like x 1
  17. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Never replacing all the positions at one time though :eek: Imagine you are the interviewee and asking questions about the studio and they tell you "yea at the moment we don't have a CEO, Producer, no Creative or Art Director but we certainly want you on our team"
    • Like x 2
  18. Rejchadar Inquisitor

Given the time of your answer and the time zone in which I live, already yesterday ;)
    • Like x 2
  19. inferno Loyal Player

CEOs always bring in their own team. We still don't know who replaced Jack or if he ever was. Whoever is currently in charge of the company clearly wants to fill in these positions still, which means they still see value in the IP. Nerd's position was also not replaced as was Charon's.

What I see is someone coming in and seeing a clean slate. To be honest, the biggest hurdle this game has is that it is locked into old tech. Somebody out there will have the right innovative mind to realize; it's not the tools that matter but what you can build with it.

Either you see a broken game/company or you already are coming up with solutions.

Either way, for me, it means something to look forward to and hope the new people will announce themselves and their plans.
    • Like x 2
  20. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

As long as DI has the salary compensation to match their ambitions then we might actually see progress in the game, which is all for the best. However, in regards to them announcing themselves, that will never happen in DCUO. In the 11 years i've been apart of DCUO I can not recall even 1 developer/staff member announcing their leaving or have left. Possibly some in the early days that I don't remember and I guess you could count Oceans as I believe she announced on twitter. But largely DCUO and its staff are the least transparent I've ever seen regarding that. I know they aren't under any obligation to do so, but we as the community should have a right to know about things of that nature that greatly impact our experience on the game we pay for. If it wasn't for my outside the forums contact with alot of the past teams I wouldn't even know myself they've left unless you randomly scroll through their linkedin, if you know their names.
    • Like x 3