Sins of black Adam has the laziest story so far in DCUO.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Lucidex, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Proxystar #Perception

What? Lol
  2. Forum Junkie Well-Known Player

Press, hold, skip cinematic. Less talking, more punching!
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

[IMG]
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Oh, no I didn't mean anything like that, I just meant compared to the likes of Guy Gardener or Kyle Raynor, they're both trash.
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

John Stewart and Guy Gardner are top tier in my opinion. Hal is overrated.
    • Like x 1
  6. Empress_Orana Well-Known Player

Guy is a trash character.
  7. FoolsFire Devoted Player

I want someone to explain the Flashpoint stuff.

We find out Kid Flash was kidnapped and in a Brainiac pod in the first Raid. When the hell did this happen?!?!? Why didn't we see it happen or at least get a HINT in the Solo or Alert.

It keeps seeming more and more we're not getting one cohesive story. But a fill-in-the-blanks based on what content hasn't been reused before. (Or more than once)....(Or twice)...

They need to do it like they did in the old days. (When dinosaurs ruled.) Inner Sanctum ends exactly where Batcave: Brainiac Subconstruct begins. There's an understandable progressions.
    • Like x 4
  8. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

• Like x 2
  9. Empress_Orana Well-Known Player

That’s pretty much exactly what they’re doing. It’s pretty much like individual comic books. Each issue has its win story that not connected. Not defending this…. Bc I hate it too. But that’s pretty much what we are getting to make elitist and speed hackers happy.
    • Like x 1
  10. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Most of these story arcs are quite long, detailed, expansive etc. it’s safe to say nobody wants hour long cutscenes a la Metal Gear Solid so the devs do the best the can to truncate and squeeze as much of the main plot points in to what amounts to be just a combined few minutes of cinematic storytelling. I think they do a fantastic job of what in reality is a near impossible task. The fact of the matter is, condensing that much story in to 3-6 cutscenes lasting 30s-1m each is almost always always gonna result in some confusion for those in the audience who are without any of the broader context from the full story.

I actually watched the animated Flashpoint Paradox movie a day or two before that DLC launched and watched the below links later that same week. Having done that made me think they did a great job of telling the story and sneaking in cool little details and references throughout the content. But had I not watched those, I probably would have been just as confused and unimpressed as many players were.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2820466/
    • Like x 1
  11. Eve YouTuber

The only story I didn't like was how Birds of Prey was pushed into Metal. And it was missing key characters. How did the Gotham City Sirens became Birds of Prey? This was the only one that felt rushed to me. Plus it was mostly a Superman episode. I think because episodes becoming shorter (For whatever reason) they tend to squish the story however they can. Like, the solo still shows cutscenes even if you choose not to, and I think a little flashback to the pre-30 would help people realize where that story actually begin.
    • Like x 5
  12. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

I'm ok with the ambiguous storylines. They're secondary to the stories I concoct that involve my characters and in fact would love to see content designed around making my characters the focus...
    • Like x 2
  13. Cyfaill Well-Known Player

I liked this Black Adam episode, the 'in media res' was just perfect and something different.
    Now that you mention, a thought that always comes to my mind (it's not better story for sure) is that we are lacking the ¿classic? arc of losing the powers (like when wonder woman was wearing that white outfit or Superman was on a red sun system, etc), it could be something like:

[Metropolis]
    Cyfaill: A black coffee please.
    Bus driver: Lady, this is a bus not a cafe.
    Cyfaill: Oh, sorry, one ticket to the centre then.
    Bus driver: You are already there. Crazy sleepy girl...
    [i go out from the bus]
    Citizen1: Hey, look up on the sky, it's a bird...
    Citizen2: It's a plane...
    Cyfaill: It's...me?
    [A fight starts against someone* who looks like you, have your powers**, your move, your weapon, etc. You attack with everything to her and when you are close to win, she snap her fingers, laughs and you she how somekind of energy starts to take out your healh (and recover hers), take your powers, your move, your weapon, everything, then she leaves. You walk away pick a trenchcoat [and a wide-brimmed hat] from a trash bin put on and go to your base]

[Your base]
    You have lost your exobytes. Life is wonderful, you have coffee but there is something not working.
    [Hero side]: Could be worst you think, then you turn on the tv and she that the crime rates are rising, "This cannot continue."
    [Villain side]: "I need to recover my powers to do my thing [depending on the mentor, gather money, build evil devices or just to complete a magic ritual] ".
    [Both]: I have to fix this, but how?
    Then you remember the Brainiac's ship were you escape the first time, where you got your powers for the first time. You go there, pick a junk from the floor, it'll be your weapon (a traffic signal, an sport item, a toy, whatever).

[Solo]
    With only your one skill point on your weapon (maybe the ally too), you have to do the tutorial level backwards, fighting robots and finally go to the coffin, get inside. You remember some of your victories and finally the coffin opens, but something is wrong your powers didn't come back. You see a screen next to you, you don't understand alien language but is clear there is a lack of exobytes on your body. You do the tutorial level to escape again. When you are out, a villain/hero is in front of you, you fight, win and....you absorbs part of an exobyte that give you back your movement (only the first skill point). Maybe...by killing other villains/heroes...you kill some of them in Metropolis but is too low, then you remeber, there was one experiment on...
    [/Solo]

[BOP area]
    You go there, talk to Lois (or a device around the fight place): "where are more experiments? Where they ive?" Lois has no idea but recently there was somekind of caos in some places, and other people are investigating it too, maybe there...

[Alert ¿an operation?]
    You visit some areas (2 or 3), they are full of policeman who believes you are the one who made that caos, you fight them, defeat them, and see someone leaving, you follow him and get into his lair, he is building a device, you fight him and before dying he flies away but you earn some exobytes and recover three slots power.
    [/Alert]

[Solo]
    Back on your lair, you are recovering from your wounds, when someone gets inside, it's your last enemy he is there for revenge. You fight, he wins, and leaves, now your lair is destroyed but your enemy left something on the floor, it's a device which points where are more exobytes sources, it seems he was lacking too, you brief Lois and you go to the place it points.
    [/Solo]

[Raid]
    You reach your destiny, Lois did some calls and there you are with other 7. In front of you there are 8 doors one for each one, there you'll fight yourself (the one from it's a plane?), when everyone defeats its enemy (to avoid bottlenecks as soon as someone finish its fight he'll be able to help other) you continue your path, now the team has to split in two and kill someone with a mix of the powers of the four (or just randomly pick the powers of someone) you regather all of your powers, and finally, on the last room, the eight go after the responsible of gathering all that exobytes for himself (a new villain of the game), when he is on his knees you try to give the last hit and then it flees.
    [/Raid]

Not the best story but i would like to do a story which not follows the solo > duo > alert > raid path, i just hope they could mess up with the order.

*Could be someone like you or it could be disguised as one of your alts (random or the second on your list of characters or the last one to avoid randomize).
    **Well, it would be nice it has the same loadout but...it could make someone just put non attack powers to make it easier so....i guess it'll be your power with a loadout that the devs would like.
    • Like x 2
  14. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

All good ideas as prototypes but then they have to be formed into actual Instances. Which is unfortunately where the ideas fall apart.

To Elaborate on what I mean, the Rise and Fall of an Empire stories' 4 Horsemen kept the usual namesakes, War Famine Pestilence and Death. The 4 of them alone laid waste to Khandaq, causing possibly millions to die there too before they even made a move by poisoning the waters and the rains and the food.

So in your version of a solo, who are we fighting? If we're killing off more Khandaqi people we're the badguys. The 4 Horsemen have no "adds" or followers so creating some makes absolutely no sense. Who exactly is there to battle in the solo instance other than one of the Horsemen as a boss?

And that's just applying game logic to 1 of the 4 instances you mentioned do far. Adam hasn't been working with Faust for a very long time so bringing back undead zombies etc makes no sense. And we're talking about an instance that would have replaced this current one, so Nerons Hoards are out of the question.

The point I'm making is that this thread started off, frankly, disrespectful. Folks slagging off the story yet there was no sign of their "perfect replacement" at all. No constructive criticism. No "this is bad, but it would have been better with X". Instead some ingrates decided the idea of "you're s##t at your job" was somehow a good stance to take. That's not feedback, it's anonymity allowing for cruelty. Which says a lot about those folks true characters.

Still though, like the person who brought up the WWIII idea to begin with, the input is appreciated. At least you tried to make it work and expand on the idea instead of just joining the mob.
    • Like x 2
  15. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

Sorry but metal was WAY worse than this one I think.Maybe I'm just tired of metal but my opinion still stands.
  16. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

Overall I actually think that'd be a great idea for a DLC. A fair few Heroes and Villains have lost their powers over the years so it fits for DC. I like the idea of one of the instances literally being about trying to find your way back onto a Brainiac ship too. Theres only one problem with the overall story though.

Our characters didn't get Exobytes from the Brainiac ship. They were released into the atmosphere by Future Luthor. We start in a Brainiac ship because he sensed his own tech and captured us to examine where it came from.

But there's workarounds for that. It wouldn't be a replacement for the Black Adam story we got, but its a good idea overall. If the majority of the gamebase weren't obsessed with "Pew Pew" numbers it'd be a great episode to have.
    • Like x 1
  17. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

But we do lose most of our powers already, but that’s a different thread to be discussed within it’s own confines and not here, lol.

I like your story ideas, and it is my hope someone with influence at Daybreak/Dimensional Inc .will gain inspiration from the ideas you have presented.
    • Like x 2
  18. BumblingB I got better.

As someone who actually enjoyed Black Adam, there was a lot of lead into the current DLC that was sprinkled in over the years, even after the classic game. Also don't forget the Rip in Time alert. It played a role in the story, if it being a small part indirectly related.

Also, us helping him just made sense because we are there for rewards and he was going to offer them to us. We are less heroes and villains and more Mercenaries.

The one thing you missed with the solo was the betrayal part. We decided to help Black Adam and he was going to betray us as an offering. If you watched the original cinematic before the final scene, you actually look surprised as you turn towards him when he offered your soul.

Now, that is to say there wasn't a lot of problems with this DLC, especially how fast paced they did with the story. Like, take for example, Black Alice. She was introduced with no lead into it. None. I know what she was, because I read the comics, but like the raid says she wasn't happy and so she decided to stop it?? Like wut? Why? How? Who? I feel there was supposed to be a lot more to her story that just got snipped to the editing floor.

Personally, I really wish they went with a version of the WW3 storyline that someone mentioned in this thread. It really was a good story and it would have segued into a better coherent DLC, since this this whole game came out of a version of the big crisis event 52 and the death of Isis happened in that story. Which resulted in him going crazy and sparking a huge battle with the JSA and other heroes. It would have been a good final raid, where we battle Black Adam at the end. (Would have been cool if we revisited the open world boss battles, like Tala from Hand of Fate. <3)
    • Like x 1
  19. Cyfaill Well-Known Player

Thank you so much.

You're right, let's say our character didn't remember too well or that we go there because is the place with more data about exobytes, or whatever works hehe.

Yes, i know it has nothing to do with Black Adam, i was just one idea, i mean i'm also curious about was stories would like people to try to bring to the game (even if in some cases it is imposible to do them), like the ww3, i didn't know that story but now, if i can get it maybe i'll read it.

Hahahaha, you are the devil.

Thank you so much, i wish too but....it seems hard, i mean i don't believe people love the idea of lose their powers even if it's for just one dlc. even to do the content in a different order seems near to imposible, correct me if i'm wrong but the only episode who did it was "death of Superman" and it wasn't an episode properly...
    • Like x 1
  20. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

If you're interested in reading the full arc of the story, you'd read it in this order:

- JSA Black Reign
    - JSA Black Vengeance
    - Black Adam: The Rise and Fall of an Empire
    - World War III

Keep in mind too that DC has 2 titles called World War III, one good, one not so much. Luckily the one recommended above is the good one. Anyway point being, if you're looking for the Correct WWIII, it was released in 2007.
    • Like x 2