I love DCUO so can you remove the stat clamp already?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by llllDeathstroke, Aug 21, 2022.

1. Emoney Dedicated Player

It wasnt me being elitist, it was the observation that ya must not play much, or at all then, so why are you even here? Ya got your clamp, but ya still havent played much, considering ya had to look up your SP.

If my changes I ask for were implemented, people would still need to run clamped if they want source marks so the Qs won'tbe affected like you think.
    • Like x 3
  2. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

Buuuut you can't do it with one button by yourself any more. That's what this is all reaaaaally about.

Your time is too precious to spend 11 minutes in this instance helping someone out on a game that you like to play, but you'll spend 20 minutes writing a book about your feelings on a regular basis about a feature in the game.

True narcissism at its finest.

Repeat after me. "My feelings... are not... that important. The survival... of the game... is more... important".

The clamp still believes in you, child. There is hope.
    • Like x 1
  3. Alpha Maximum Well-Known Player

Exactly right.

[IMG]

"The state of the game" : It isn't doing so well on that retention rate.
    "Think of the new players" : WE are the ones thinking of new players.
    "Ha Ha its here to stay." : Thank you for conforming your maturity and they've already pulled back repeatedly.
    "It's easy for me to go through content." : Me too because I'm top tier like you with 700+ sp and a BIG thank you for conforming its all about gatekeeping the sp from new players while dunking on them at the same time. We are all impressed with how you would shove granny down the stairs for the top damage score.

Put here because it seems to make some people very.... let's call it; "Happy," based on their responses. ;)
    [IMG]
    • Like x 4
  4. Cyfaill Well-Known Player

You probably are right but...blind queue is...i mean, not always give you a half decent healer or even a healer, sometimes you have a raid with three tanks or an alert with two controllers, only Rao knows, i'm not complaining part of the enjoyment is to see what you can do with the tools you have.

Define "you must not play much" or define "you play too much" if your prefer, i don't have a lot of SP because people didn't read the chat and also because before clamp the killing was so fast that when i was asking the boss was kneeling, almost know i have more time to ask and also if people start to die they have starting to read the chat or to wait for all teammates (as in the Black Adam elite alert that i played yesterday) but i won't complain if i don't get the feat done, next day there would another oportunity and also there would be a nice excuse to play that instance or to leave it for the future.

Right now you have on the same queue the people who wants marks and the people who wants the feats, if you separate them in two queues, it'll affect for sure.
    • Like x 2
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I was never able to do it with 1 button...I use a controller, it would take 2 buttons to cast any power. A trigger + circle, square, X or triangle.

And I said 'halfway decent', so obviously I wasn't replying to or referring to you....stay in your lane butinski.

And actually....to me, my feelings ARE important...the game is just a game. It's something I do to have some 'fun'. If the game shut down today...welp...guess I'll get another. Sorry if it's all you have going for you in your life that it's this important that you apparently have made a deity of it. Kinda sad really....try going outside maybe.

See...that only took.... like 2 min. Sorry if it takes you 20 to read though....but keep at it, you'll improve...probably. Good luck....I'm pulling for you.
    • Like x 2
  6. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

On the very few occasions I'd hit that run blind queued, it's easy enough to tell how your healer will do in the 1st boss. There should be no surprises by last boss.

But I get your meaning....it's a crapshoot in Omni. And while yes....there CAN be fun found in trying to 'make it work' with the tools at your disposal (and yes....some players ARE 'tools'), I'm not looking to try and make that happen each time I run things.

MOST people don't do that in endgame...why would we expect to turn lemons into lemonade almost every omni run?
    • Like x 1
  7. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

This thread is only up still because there's no point in other players making a thread about stats clamp. I'm sure Mepps.is also tired of repeating himself with the stats clamp. Emoney, Alpha and the other players can just find Mepps response to stats clamp. We who adjusted to stats clamp are doing fine. Those who are anti-clamp can just PM Mepps. Everything he's said has been said already but you guys can keep on with this thread if it makes you feel better.
    • Like x 3
  8. Capt. Retro Well-Known Player

If there were multiple threads about an issue players have (i.e. Stat Clamp), then others would say "oh no, another stat clamp thread" and proceed to call the creation of multiple threads pointless due to the reasonings you just stated.

Instead there is only ONE thread currently active on the issue but yet you still have an issue with it still being discussed at length.

That just sounds like you don't like things you personally don't agree with being discussed.

Also, for the record, a Dev or any company employee stating their position on the game's present and future still doesn't strip away people's capacity of having their own public opinions on a video game's public forum. But perhaps patronizing those you don't agree with makes YOU feel better.
    • Like x 6
  9. thedemonocus Loyal Player

This sums it up perfectly.
    • Like x 4
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I actually think you are 100% right. The thread is left up because it's pulled all the energy out of any other side discussions about the clamp (good or bad), so it's a smart move vs having 10 threads to shut down every week.

Will any amount of discussion about the clamp have any impact? Nah...I don't think anyone has any delusions about that. But hey, it gets dark at 5PM here now, and I burned up my firewood last night, so sitting on the forums is as good as any other type of entertainment...why not read or post? BTW...In case you missed it, it's not as much 'anti-clamp' as 'pro options'.

Feel better? Nah...I've said it 100x already, I make the clamp work for me. I gets mine...a LOT. I opt out of what I want and run what I want. Doesn't mean I like the clamp any more than a 1 eyed guy wouldn't rather have 2 eyes....but I'm sure he's also figured a way to function just fine with that detriment....as have I.
    • Like x 5
  11. The Con Dedicated Player

It's still up because people are still responding to it.... That includes you.

Well... Maybe that should be Mepps' sign that something is amiss.

(EDIT: And, once again, what is up with all these people who think they speak for the devs?)

And some who have adjusted to the clamp wish that they didn't have to... Ain't it funny how the world works?

He says as he types this reply on this thread...

:rolleyes:
    • Like x 3
  12. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

My dear con... I have spoken with "the clamp" and our lord is seriously concerned with your spiritual and emotional well-being. It has come to his attention that you honestly believe that you have a fighting chance at ending his rule over all humanity.

He is a kind and benevolent god that only wishes for DCUO to make as much money as possible.

He told me that if his presence was not necessary... that the developers themselves would have cut him down shortly after his arrival.

Fortunately... he was deemed successful enough to remain based on the amount of cold hard cash coming in with his presence.

Being the humble god that he is though... he wanted to send you his best and encouraged you to keep on fighting.

Me, though? You're stoopid.
    • Like x 1
  13. Cyfaill Well-Known Player

You can call me Lemonade woman/girl i guess, maybe i lose or win the battle but...my enjoyment always win, i mean "we" need a 'bomb' and "we" have a 'tomato' and a 'wire' how can "we" make it works? Personally, what we need is not to remove the clamp is to have more puzzles, i know, i know, the card game, the pipe game (spindrift), etc are bottlenecks and a little bit frustating but also the more rewarding to do (and i cannot wait to do when it comes to my thread).

Also with 'tools' i wasn't forgeting about myself, i am not the best player in the world but i love to think i am not the worst.
    • Like x 1
  14. The Con Dedicated Player

I gotta say... While I openly admit that we are on opposite sides of the argument... I do love this bit.

Thanks for making this exercise of futility fun.
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I like and appreciate your optimism. Maybe one day we'll see endgame elite calls for 'Need healer who doesn't know how to heal' or 'Need tank with no tank gear or artis' or my favorite 'need 2 people to just sit at spawn and do nothing till they are kicked'. Then all that omni training will have paid off and it's lemonade for all!
    • Like x 2
  16. The Con Dedicated Player

Not really...

Most people who want feats usually use LFG and avoid the queue.
    • Like x 3
  17. The Con Dedicated Player

Too late to add an edit.

They also use Leagues and Friends.

And, once again... not the queue. (for the most part)
    • Like x 2
  18. MrGhosty Active Player

It is frustrating that the position keeps defaulting to "they just want to remove the clamp completely" and when that gets pointed out again, then the new position is "well either way, you need to just suck it up and get over yourself"

I'd still like the option though by this point I've adjusted my approach to the game as well as my expectations. It mostly boils down to me just not doing a whole bunch of stuff because the pitiful amount of gains I could make versus the effort required doesn't add up. I still don't queue for any four or eight man content, I figure with what I can do solo/duo/open world I've got at least another month of grinding nth metal and source marks to upgrade stuff plus whatever feats I can knock off the list in that time.

It's been enough pages ago now that I'll repeat myself. Giving people an additional way to play the game isn't going to kill queues because the lifeblood of this game is and always will be source marks. If the only way to get source marks is to run current content and clamped omni the options with the best return will see the most repeat plays. Whether or not I'm able to go into Kahndaq raid and solo it won't affect queue times.

I'm not against a measured approach to the option though as a means of testing impact. They could test the option by only have Tier 1 stuff available with an unclamped option and then see how that goes. If the sky doesn't fall, they can implement Tier 2, etc. Perhaps there should be a cutoff point to how far the unclamped option goes starting with the oldest content so that newer content that is still seeing natural traffic wouldn't be endangered.

I also feel that this unclamped option shouldn't be available until a certain point in the leveling process, again I'm not an expert so it might require some testing but based on where I felt I finally had a grasp of the overall scope and mechanics of the game was after I maxed my CR and had played through most of the solo content. So maybe the unclamped option could be tied to a completion feat of all solo content in a relevant tier. The example would be to unlock Tier 1 unclamped, you need to have completed all the tier 1 solo content in the normal clamped mode. Then you repeat for the next tier, this ensures that new players don't get lost in the weeds without penalizing vets who have already completed the content.

Yet another approach would be to split out all of the feats in the game into categories of skill versus categories of repetition. Skill feats such as no deaths/timed completions/etc could stay locked in the clamped only while feats that just require repetition would be fair game for the unclamped option. This amount of feat points could be balanced around the "mid point" that would be the recommended minimum sp needed to contribute meaningfully in current content. I see most people suggest that around 400 sp is the safe bet point so between style feats and the repetition feats I feel like we could probably hit that.

All that said, I suspect this thread is just meant to be a black hole to keep this type of discussion from spilling out all over the forums. I keep posting on the off chance it might make its way back to the devs and help influence their decisions going forward. See ya'll in another hundred pages!
    • Like x 5
  19. Cyfaill Well-Known Player

Don't overthink too much, just ask for dps's or dps's in role mode hehehe, i mean i've already saw people asking for dps's for elite, nothing new.

Yes, you are right a lot of people gather a group before getting in, others ask for corpses to fullfil the group and get in, others tired of waiting just queue with half group, and others just queue. I have been in all these scenarios (maybe in others i don't remember right now too). The thing is, with all characters in one place you have more 'corpses' to pick and do the stuff, raid with 7 looking for marks and 1 asking for let's kill this the last, done and the waiting was faster, a group of 7 feats lookers, 1 guy for marks get in and do the stuff, which means less time to wait for the group. Moreover, you could end up with two half teams for the same raid one for source and the other for feats that would never get in.

Now you are probably thinking in open portals, "three guys are enough for this raid" what about those other five guys who are trying to develop themselves? Even if they are 5 corpses they won't take more time than you would use. The portals that are already on the game i guess they are still there due to tradition more than other thing, probably they should have erased them long ago (even when i enjoy go in).

The thing is, i'm somekind of a solo player, i would love to get in alone to mess up, to try doing the instance, moreover i would love i could play alone the first....i don't know 10 times the new raid, to discover how it's done, think in the card game, i read the rules and thought how it was solved, that was more interesting than killing Barbatos. But again, that doesn't works, because my benefit collide with the benefit of others. The easy path is to ask for segregation, to do together maybe that for other day.
  20. The Con Dedicated Player

All of what you said is actually an argument to do away with the clamp.

Finding "bodies" and/or people to just join the group to que and leave (just so the smaller group can get in the instance) is easier without a clamp... because those people aren't as necessary for the actual instance.

Feat groups, though, would probably still be hand made as opposed to blind queues, but:
    No clamp, groups are more likely to open up and let others in a blind queue because they might have less chance of actually effing up the feat.

The answer to your post is:

Do away with the clamp (make it optional) and
    Set queue timers that would eventually let smaller groups to "opt in" to instances.

Win/win
    • Like x 1