Making Old Content Better

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Henoshock, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Henoshock Well-Known Player

TL;DR. Bonus rewards to veterans when they complete old instances, especially when with noobs. Possibly tied to successful feat completions. A built-in player-to-player networking/LFG system.

not another clamp thread...

No, really, here's some ideas that have been tossed around before but not really gained traction, despite (in my opinion) being actually reasonable suggestions.

First, why don't people like Omnibus (and relatedly, the clamp)? My general impression of their arguments is that basically it makes old content too long or difficult to do, and they aren't worth the effort. If anyone has more reasons for not liking Omnibus/clamp, feel free to list them out. And for people who just want to be able to solo a raid in 5 minutes for their 10 Source Marks, please complain in another thread.

The actual suggestion: give more diverse incentives for veterans to run old content and actively help new players complete instances.

Specifically, the best idea I've heard is to give bonus marks (or something) for helping complete feats. For every character in the instance to complete an X star feat, reward X more source marks (maybe only if you already had that feat).

Veterans are incentivized to run old content with new players. New players get more SP. Would probably be good for the community as a whole and grow the population by encouraging newer players. The SP grind is brought up often as being intimidating, especially since there's no real reason for people to redo or really help with feats they already have.

Now, this would mostly help pre-made (LFG) groups. For Omnibus, I think the easiest way to improve the overall experience is to have an in-game player-to-player mentoring system. Like what a good League would do for you, but administrated by the game system and probably shorter-term. Here's some possibilities:

1. Bonus rewards for every non-endgame character (or maybe just unclamped) in the instance after it's completed. More incentive to help new characters through the instance.

2. Better in-game tips and notifications that let new players know to read the chat box and communicate with it.

3. Direct long-term buddy: newer players can choose to be partnered with an endgame character, until they reach current content CR (basically, while they're getting up through Omnibus). Some bonus rewards if both players complete instances together. Final payout for both players when the new player reaches endgame CR. I think this option is cool, but realistically difficult to implement properly and without abuse. And it may not actually teach noobs much, if they just "ride the bus", i.e. get carried.

4. Ability to queue as a "leader" in Omnibus. Inspired by Commanders in GW2 (also no one complains about the clamp there when I played, though TBF that game hasn't had vertical progression in forever). Veteran players have the option to queue as a designated "leader". Matchmaking will favor putting in non-clamped characters in their group, and favor some more difficult or unpopular instances. Lots of communicating and leadership from the leader (and also cooperation from everyone else) is encouraged. Bonus rewards for the leader (maybe also for the noobs) upon instance completion. The leader could also be someone who queues into an ongoing instance that has wiped many times (4 hour NGNs anyone?). They are incentivized to basically carry the group. Some work needs to be done in making sure a player is capable of leading.

For leading/mentoring approaches, a peer review system could be set up so that people could vouch for them. Or just track number of successful completions for each instance, or number of successfully mentored noobs.

Or, we could just introduce daily Omnibus missions. Less valuable reward boxes and less source mark rewards. Doesn't really help with the issue of complete noobs in instances, though may incentivize veterans to queue more often.

Also somewhat related, to reduce abuse from players spamming the same instance to grind, could have a "stale instance counter": completing the same instance within the previous X times reduces the rewards received.
    • Like x 2
  2. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

It all sounds good to me. I just want to see something happen that really encourages the long term players to revisit older instances.

I really do not understand why people are so content with a solo/duo, an alert, and a raid or two... and that is just life for 3 to 6 months in-game. LFG doesn't lie and that is typically 95% of the shouts.

For most long term players that I know... the instances mentioned above, a weekly bounty run, and a couple omnibus queues are all that ever gets accomplished. For a game that has been out as long as this one... the general end-game playground is very underwhelming.
  3. the solowing Steadfast Player

old content takes foreer when you spent thwe last 6-7 years one shotting lower tier content.

If im used to doing something in 15 seconds, it taking 30 seconds to do is going to seem long right?

Remember 56k dialup was once considered fast...
  4. BabyBoyzim Dedicated Player

Putting styles in instances so we can farm for them like in the good old days when you knew where certain pieces could drop so you could farm said instance to finish it, would be a good start. As is now, I haven’t gotten a worthwhile piece of gear in instanced content in months.

how about cosmetic reward boxes? You get reward boxes for completing all omnuibussed content that has styles from sets that lead to feats. Not necessarily gear boxes, but the styles that we can’t farm anymore? The older/longer the content, the more style boxes you earn with pieces to choose? Can’t find those paramilitary shoulders? Farm arkham and get 5 style reward box chances and choose from a gear box drop to complete whatever style is in it.

If this were implemented for sure I’d spam the hell out of old omni and not decline half the stuff that pops.
  5. the solowing Steadfast Player

Because you need a reward, thats more currency based. Once you get the item you may need, the likelihood of going back to that content is rather low. Currency based rewards gives you a choice of what you want to prioritize first, However running Omnibus should give you bonus currency.

Chain running one instance for a specific item, is something you can do, but is that fun to do?
  6. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

SOME old content takes forever because of the people you are randomly picking up in Omni. Other stuff is just too long and drawn out by design for what you get. Why run something like FOS1 or 2 or Bombshell when you could run USR, Necro or Prime? Other than a very few feats that most people probably have, there is no incentive to run most regular content in the game as opposed to some other runs.

And even with the clamp, any amount of 'challenge' added is minimal at best. I ran in an average group in omni COU last night. We were still out in 10 min with only a few of us doing damage, no viable troll (dps just switched role to Troll but didn't throw 1 debuff) and a mediocre tank who couldn't pull eyballs on Trigon. I was actually falling asleep through most of it and was top DPS. Boring is boring, whether it takes 10 seconds or 10 min.

Don't get me wrong. That run served it's purpose....I got my omni box, and that's the only reason I was there.

The only thing worth while for a vet in Omni is the reward box. You are kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.

As far as any of the ideas put forth by the OP....sure...add them all. We'll figure a way to exploit them, milk them for all they are worth then move on to the next thing. That's what you get when you hire mercenaries...you get what you asked for.
    • Like x 1
  7. Tolly Committed Player

I think that all the contents of the capsules (without exception) should be available at the sellers or the items are bought in Quarks and with this would surely motivate a lot to return to the old content and thus would probably stop the absurd prices in the market.

This means that at the booty of bosses or end of instances, quarks would be at the key loot.

To see now, should it be for all players or only for subscribers? For subscribers, the utility of the subscription will surely be found with this I imagine.
  8. the solowing Steadfast Player

But when i ask for anything to slow the exploitation down, you will shoot it down xD

Maybe because it benefits you..Whatever allows you to get in and out of that run quicker.

Whereas me asking for something to limit peoples queue fishing, is too much of a ask?
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yep...If I'm running something I don't particularly enjoy, I want to be out as quick as possible....but guess what...that's true in the 2 new raids, elite raids, seasonals, duos, solos....all of it. Not sure your point?

I've already said, go ahead and add more penalties for queue fishing...it will just encourage me or others to make sure I have a full group every time....or heck...I'll pay the 2, 10 or 30 min penalty, or sign out and do it another day or skip Omni that week. Not sure how that helps your run, but sure....cut off your nose to spite your face....it's been done before. BTW...I'm sure sticking someone in a run they didn't want to run in the first place will increase the chances they also want to assist in some not great feat....good logic there.:rolleyes:

And sorry....that's not the 'exploitation' I'm talking about...because it's not exploitation. Queue fishing is what we are supposed to be able to do, otherwise there would not be a 'cancel queue' option? Now...do they want us doing it 20x in a row? Probably not, but apparently they didn't want people doing 20 FOS3s in a row or bailing out of HH at 2nd boss(which actually WAS because of a 2x drops exploit). It's using the system as designed. Just like a 'bonus' system for getting feats will mean that people will group up with 7 high end players, 1 player will bring a low SP alt and all will get paid...bet on it. And they will do that MORE than they will land in some random group who wants to do 'Omega 13' or '4 corners' or 'right tool for the job' or any of 100 other feats not worth the time as MOST groups will fail 2, 3 or 10x before getting it.

Now...something like 25 gorillas in FV? Sure... that might happen, it would take little effort and add little time to the fight. So if the op is hoping to accomplish...I'd say go for it.