Devs\Mepps, what are your stance on DCUO Merch?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Eve, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Eve YouTuber

I'm not sure if it actually has to do with the license or anything. But DCUO did release a bunch of "Merch" before. We can even include the postcards, statues, mousepads, shirts, Comic books, etc. Why are you not doing it more? Why isn't there a way to purchase official DCUO Shirts? is DC\WB not allowing this or you guys think It's redundant?

Not all of us were lucky to win T-shirts and stuff. I had to make my own stuff. I think It's pretty cool to have something related to DCUO and when people ask It's a good convo to have. As a collector, I'd freaking love more statues of DCUO of newer models. If you got the permission before, why not again? It doesn't hurt anyone.

Just really curious about it and would like to hear the Devs\Mepps stance on that if possible.
    • Like x 7
  2. Eve YouTuber

What is*** not are....yeah I'm tired It's 1am lol
    • Like x 2
  3. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yeeeees! Would also be fun to have action figures, statues, and/or posters of some of the game-specific minor characters like Titanic Triton, Iron Kurtain, Captain Kruel, Shevla'nuhur Kyramud (JFC that name), etc. Nice figures of our toons would be great, but not very practical.
    • Like x 1
  4. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Just saying Mepps I would pay $$$$$ for this

[IMG]

that contest was only for US residents so even waving across the canadian border I was helpless to get this cool memento
    • Like x 6
  5. Hraesvelg Always Right

In the past, he's said they aren't able to do merch due to their license, where they just sell DCUO branded stuff. They can make stuff and do giveaways, which is how that stuff gets into the wild.
    • Like x 1
  6. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I got a pretty neat DC Universe Online branded metal water bottle from Samantha Inoue Harte at DragonCon in 2017. She was selling autographed DCUO stuff with all proceeds being donated to Hurricane Harvey relief for Houston.

She was incredibly proud of being the voice of “The Mighty Isis!!!” I hadn’t paid attention - I wonder if that’s her reprising the role in the new episode.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1404109/?ref_=m_ttfcd_cl33
    • Like x 2
  7. Eve YouTuber

The issue is, It's only available for US residents when they do it like that, which is why I'm making this thread at this point. Never had a chance to win a shirt or anything since I live outside of the US and there's all the laws and stuff because It's random or whatever. I did see Walmart selling a DCUO T-shirt tho lol I doubt Daybreak are even aware
    • Like x 2
  8. Hraesvelg Always Right

Unfortunately, the reason for that is usually that various laws concerning giveaways/personal data in those various jurisdictions. It's got to be a LOT of red tape. I wouldn't be surprised if their lawyers have advised against international giveaways.

Canada, for example, requires some sort of "skills test" to prevent purely random draw sweepstakes. I think France finally abandoned it, but you used to have to file all of the rules and promo materials in French with a local official. They also required you to reimburse people for postage OR internet usage if requested. In essence, international giveaways are a nightmare. Hell, our states have slightly different rules that require compliance, I can't imagine trying to do it on an international scale. That gives me hives.
    • Like x 4
  9. Eve YouTuber

I do recall participating in a base decorating sweepstake for Halloween back at 2018 and won DBC. Is this type of sweepstakes not working out because of laws? Because you did mention Canada for example allowing it this way.

Lol even DC Comics online shop is locked for US residents sadly
  10. Cordelia Well-Known Player

If they could sell us a 3D model usable on a 3D printer of our own characters, that alone would be cool.
    • Like x 3
  11. BumblingB I got better.

There is a big difference between digital in game rewards and real world items/money. They can grant you until you are blue in the face with digital means, but the moment you have to give personal information for something to be delivered, they are subject to laws that cross borders.

I would very much love that they did some merchandise, but it does seem that they can't do it. I've won a belt once. I wore it until it broke. <3 I use the lanyard that I got from SOE Live for my work ID badge. It's so dirty, but I love it. Had to do a repair on the metal part to boot. I also wore the TShirts they gave out at the two SOE Live events I went to and kinda ripped them because of it. Oh well, clothing is meant to be worn. <3
    • Like x 2
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think the big question would be whether or not there's enough demand to prompt folks to create any kind of supply of DCUO merchandise.

I love the game (wouldn't have kept playing all these years if I didn't LOL) but at the end of the day it's an MMO that's over ten years old and one that isn't exactly at the forefront of general gaming conversations. Those two factors alone could have a serious effect on any actual demand for merchandise, never mind opinions at large about Daybreak (and any past associations folks have when they were still SOE).
    • Like x 2
  13. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Guess i'll be the guinea pig and create my own merch line and then dcuo can gauge interest off that :p
    • Like x 2
  14. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

As remembered, we don't have a license for DC merch. The best we can do is giveaways, which then have their own set of limitations.
    • Like x 8
  15. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

What about Daybreak / Dimensional Ink branded merchandise?

I know of a marketing company that can set you up :)
    • Like x 4
  16. Eve YouTuber

Thanks for the reply Mepps! Guess I'll have to keep buying DCUO stuff off eBay xP
    • Like x 2
  17. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Does anybody want this?
    • Like x 8
  18. Eve YouTuber

I honestly don't know if I would... I do think Dimensional Ink's logo is way cooler than Daybreak's (Stop staring into my soul) but... I'm not sure how I'd feel about wearing a T-shirt as a player and not employee.. :thinking:
  19. Eve YouTuber

JUSTTT Cause I am itching to post it This is my DCUO self-made merch video. So It's not impossible to have really cool DCUO stuff :3
    • Like x 2
  20. TheWrecker Well-Known Player

Dcuo gear? Very much so for me. I'll take all the 3xl you have lol.
    • Like x 2