Can we have buffs and debuffs plainly displayed on our screen with numbers and timers???

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by tehDarkNite, Oct 26, 2022.

1. tehDarkNite Well-Known Player

Why all the secrecy? You pop a power neo venom supercharge, rage supercharge, form change or a weapon buff - how much is the buff?/ whats the type of buff? / Offense or defense? /whats the duration?/ whats the range?

Could you add a a rage crash timer or would that be game breaking?

You use an art or allies or a teammate uses it - what is it doing

Too summarize I just want static detailed buff and debuff info on screen with numbers and clocks
    • Like x 7
  2. Red Wáve Well-Known Player

The Rage Crash timer is the cooldown. You crash when Severe Punishment is at 75% refreshed. At 50%, you pop E-Chain with combo. At 60-65% you pop E-Chain without combo.

+1 on a visible timer for other Buffs.

Numbers would be nice in the Active Effects, but could easily be too much if visible in in the HUD.
    • Like x 3
  3. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

It’s not really secrecy. You can see all the information of what buff you have and what they are doing but hitting the dpad on controller (not sure what button on Pc). I believe it is up on the dpad? Then scroll down and it will list all (most) current effects on you.

Now, I’m not sure why they don’t add it to the main screen. Most MMOs have the iconics of the buffs/debuffs that are affecting you right by your name and health bar. To put in into dcuo terms. Imagine if you are a prec dps. Youd have your weapon buff icon displayed under your name. By iconic I mean the picture of said ability. If a trolls buff is on you than you’d also see the iconic of the trolls power dump on you. If you are also buffed by claw, tetra, and cog than the picture of those arts would be by your name. And so on.

Now, with the stability issues that dcuo has I doubt this would be good unless you could toggle it off. Right now if you play in open world and there are a lot of players by you (fighting the open world bosses) than you will have screen glitches which can make it hard for some people to play. Adding this without a way to toggle it off could lead to issues.
    • Like x 3
  4. BumblingB I got better.

Remember this game was built to work on the PS3 and they shoehorned a ton of stuff into one giant un-modular code to make it work on that limited resources console.

With that said, I don't think it's impossible for them to add something of an overlay with numbers on them, but it would probably require the UX designer to fiddle with the legacy code to make it work right. This is something that would be amazing to have. Where we can have our stat buffs, enemy debuffs, etc be easier to see.
    • Like x 6
  5. Red Wáve Well-Known Player

It will tell you the buff/debuff and total time, not numbers or or time remaining.

Tetra 200 will say something like "Your Might is increased by 2% of users Health" and 12s duration.
    It will not tell you how much Might, nor that it is actually 4%, since the person wearing it is either Troll, dps or dumb.

Nitro Soder will say the number of Might gained and duration is 30mins displayed in seconds.

Neo-Venom Boost will just say that you deal increased damage and take reduced damage for x-seconds.

The Inv-Stats screen will update in real time.
    • Like x 1
  6. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I know what it shows. The duration remaining would not really be needed since the iconic would appear and disappear as it happens. However having all the extra info could cause more issues seeing how the display can already glitch out as is. That alone may make this not even worth it. Again, I would like it but not really needed.
  7. Sghoul Well-Known Player

I think the issue for me is that so many buffs are so short that it can be hard to get to the screen to look at them. And some of them don't seem to show unless you know to look as we only have that handful of icons from back before the game had so many ways to get buffed/debuffed.

I'd like something better, but as a PS player, I don't know of an easy way to look at it until they make the UI quicker. I know we are dealing with an old game, but in a game like Cyberpunk, which is MUCH higher graphics, I can switch to the UI almost instantly, so it seem doable. But again, so many of the things that would be a good idea are limited by manpower. The Devs have a LOT of their plates.
    • Like x 1
  8. tehDarkNite Well-Known Player

\

Yes I know but can they add a clock tho? and a rage crash nullified notification?

I want to know can they add it - not what we have learned to suffer with

I want to see it on screen - not google a thread or try to memorize a description

how do you know when it activates? Do you count to 12 when it does?

Why cant it just be a clock there?

By the time you press up and scroll - the buff or debuff will have ended

I think the devs can do anything they want. The info is alreeady in the game. I want to see it

yes you agree - itd be something more useful then the new mission gui
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

There is no secrecy you just need to know where to look.

There's a quick menu that shows you current active effects and gives details when you click on the individual effect. There are also icons under your character's name the give a quick glance of current buffs/debuffs. These also appear under your target's name as well:
    Heart = Heal Over Time or Heal Over Time Debuff
    Lightning Bolt = Power Over Time or Power Over Time Debuff
    Shield = Defense Buff/Shield or Defense Debuff
    Footprint = Movement Speed or Movement Speed Debuff
    Crosshairs, Star or Explosion = Damage Buff or Damage Debuff

Duration of buffs and debuffs are typically 12 seconds unless otherwise stated. The BOP Commlink artifact for example cuts the duration of the debuffs you cast which is stated in the artifact tooltip.

Do you see red or gray crosshairs on your target? Red means you are in range. Gray means you are more than likely out of range. No crosshairs means you are definitely out of targeting range.

All artifacts have reasonably clear tooltips that explain their effects and how they proc. Allies I agree need cleared tooltips.
    • Like x 1
  10. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wouldn't want buffs/debuffs to be displayed on the screen at all times. it makes the game look overly complicated for players that don't have experience.
    It's also going to be too much since there are a lot of different buffs. Like A LOT!
    In a common raid group, you can easily have 10-15 buffs active during combat. If the icons are too small to make all of them fit, it's pointless to even have them and if they're too big, you lose like 20% of your active screen.
    If the game had several buffs overwrite themselves so only 3-5 could be active at any time, sure, but that's not going to happen just to make this implementation work.
    Having the buffs hidden in that sub-menu is also not great. It should be visible with a single button press and not by pressing one button and then scrolling down for 5 seconds past information that's meaningless for 99% of the time you play the game, such as active weapon combos. So all I would tweak would be to move the current buffs/debuffs section in the same menu it currently is to the top. Just below group loot and votes. Keeps the UI clean and doesn't overwhelm new players.
    • Like x 1
  11. Cordelia Well-Known Player

The answer to this is a customizable UI. Not something I see happening.
    • Like x 3
  12. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Exactly, it's a QoL request that would take half a year to implement. Higher priorities for the devs elsewhere currently.
    • Like x 2
  13. Sghoul Well-Known Player

Just keep in mind that while the devs can do whatever they want, this is an old game, on an old engine, designed for a dead console. It has a relatively small playerbase so their time and resources are limited. So yes, they could do this, but that means they don't do something else. Their focus is elsewhere right now...especially on new content, which is what keeps people coming back.

There is a laundry list of things players would want and they have to get prioritized. I am going to guess that this one is lower on the list.
    • Like x 1
  14. tehDarkNite Well-Known Player

hhow do you know? are you a dev?
  15. Cordelia Well-Known Player

I don't "know", I just don't see it happening based on years of playing this game and watching the actions of the devs. I know nothing, truly, about the inner workings of DI or Daybreak. Everything I say is conjecture based on experience. So feel free to completely ignore me, that's fine.
    • Like x 1
  16. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The dream.
    • Like x 7
  17. Sghoul Well-Known Player

Call it an educated guess. I have been following game development and MMO's in particular for 20 years. Making a change to a UI system that allows for customization when the original UI wasn't designed for it is usually not a small task. Especially when a portion of your playerbase is playing on controllers and not KB&M. It took much bigger MMO's years to offer this feature, and those games had hundreds of thousands to millions of people paying monthly subscriptions...this one does not

This game likely doesn't have some 100+ man team working on it. I mean, in an ideal world they could just rebuild the engine from the ground up in Unreal 5, which would give us all sorts of new features and better graphics and it would run better or Modern systems. That would likely also cost more than it cost to build the game in the first place.

So as of right now, I assume the devs are working on exactly what they have said they are. And major UI changes have not been on that list let alone readable buff/debuff icons
    • Like x 6
  18. Trexlight Devoted Player

^ This person gets it.
    • Like x 3
  19. BumblingB I got better.

Back in 2014, they were working on a UI overhaul. They even had a working preview that Carp showcased with a controller and everything. It got indefinitely shelved. It was a sad day, would have allowed for more additions to the game.
    • Like x 4
  20. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Avengers has all active effects with countdown timers listed on the left. And Avengers hardly gets anything right….