Give us back the Original On Duty

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Retire, Oct 15, 2022.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Well said. And while I won't be quitting the game due to it, I have been in quite a few groups that start falling apart after some mis-queue and people not being able to queue up and others get frustrated.

Not sure why it just isn't rolled back out. I can't believe the menu changes are that intertwined with the other changes in the update that the menu can't be rolled back till they can work the kinks out. Isn't that what test server is for?
    • Like x 3
  2. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Whaaaa? You mean a giant picture in the middle of the screen isn't more important than being able to scroll all the way down a list? Who says?
    • Like x 3
  3. Power Surge Level 30

Yeah it's absolutely horrible on console :(
  4. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

Sorry, been awhile since I first commented but absolutely I agree. I wanted to accept this change because imo it is nicer. But all the nice pretty things get thrown out the door when you start to encounter the issues me and other players have been having. I dont think it's a matter of "not wanting or accepting change" I think it's how the system was introduced. It came very bugged and sluggish. I know you said that you dont experience the issues as much but I can assure you they happen, and it's frustrating and aggravating. I dont know if anyone else has mentioned it but if I have a group and go in the in duty to que, as soon as I press Start my entire screen will intermittently freeze for longer than 3 seconds at a time. I cant back out, I cant ready up, I'm just stuck in a screen until it decides to stop.

I wanted this change. But there is never an "easy fix" for DC. Ever. I do not want this change as it is now.
  5. Proxystar #Perception

If it's as easy to fix the bugs as it is to revert the UI then you fix the bugs though right?

Just confirming your issue isn't the UI itself, just the bugs.

I only say that because sometimes people think its just super easy to revert things when it isn't necessarily :)

I also don't doubt your issues, just saying Ive not experienced them, it sounds to me like there's probably some more console centric issues going on and I'm certainly not saying those shouldn't be fixed.
  6. BumblingB I got better.

I'm Keyboard and Mouse, but I also have a Switch account.

The Quickplay works just fine. No real issues if you have a mouse.
    The custom play UI is kinda weird to me. Like the text seems very small. There is a tiny visual to tell if you are loot locked or if you want to unlock. The favorites feature kinda forgets. When the queue pops, it gives you a the notification that you need to queue again, when you are still going into it. There are definitely a lot of bugs.

With that said, I do like the newer design, albeit needs some tweaks to make it more aesthetically pleasing and still readable on a TV from the couch.

Then comes the controller side feedback...
    Ever since they introduced the quickplay feature, it's been definitely hard to navigate. (Though, I've always found navigating it more difficult with a controller.) Now with the custom play changed, it's downright near impossible. It almost feels like this was never tested on a controller by the UX designer. It works, but you have to force it to work with a lot of fiddling with your curser. As it is, it definitely makes the game a frustrating experience.

Just an FYI to those wanting it to be reverted, it requires a client side update, which means it wouldn't be changed until the next game update.
    • Like x 1
  7. Emoney Dedicated Player

Another issue I'll add that happened yesterday...
    I finally went through and saved some favorites, about 10 different instances I still need items or feats.
    Went to select one and somehow my entire favorites list cleared...and I dont even see an option to do that, they all just disappeared instantly with a press of X to lock one in for the que....it was awesome.[sarcasm]

I just assume this will be like the other buggy menus like the broker we've dealt with over 7 years and nothing will be done because many of these bugs do not happen the same way everytime. I'm afraid we are gonna be stuck with it, and I'm not ok with that this time. I will not be spending ANY money on this game until this critical feature gets fixed on console.
  8. Taerah Active Player

I love the new UI, lol.
    • Like x 1
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Another side effect of the changes seems to be missed credit on Omni runs (again). Had a buddy who ran the omni raids 3x the last few days on the same toon, only got credit on the 3rd pass. I got invited to help heal a failing Atlantis:Throne run that was an omni for the people who invited me...I did not get credit. While that might not be the 'UI's fault, it came with the package. It's been a while since I've been stiffed on omnis.
    • Like x 2
  10. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We are working to further improve the new custom play UI. Appreciate the feedback.
    • Like x 5
  11. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we could still launch the original On Duty Menu from the Menu Options at the bottom of the screen when you open your Inventory? I'm like 99% certain I've launched it within the last week. :confused:
  12. Emoney Dedicated Player

Thank you Mepps.

Is there a time frame here...

Like is it currently being worked on and will be out in a hotfix sometime soon or...

Is it something that'll be done months from now?
  13. VariableFire Loyal Player

The color separation just doesn't work. It hasn't been good since House of Legends really. When you select something you can barely tell it's been chosen because the color change is ridiculously subtle on PS4. It needs to be a bigger, bolder change, like red to green, not blue to slightly lighter blue.

This goes hand in hand with the pre-selecting thing it now does. I don't want to do the seasonal first, so I end up having to navigate over to clear it every time, made more difficult on console since it's harder to tell where your "cursor" is. Moreover, after doing an Omnibus run I've had to clear it since it keeps everything selected as if I was doing one again. The Clear All should be easier to select, either through a shortcut or moved to where the "cursor" starts.
    • Like x 1
  14. nawanda Loyal Player

I’m going to fess up here and say I am middle aged and my eyesight isn’t getting any better and every UI change in recent years seems to have been designed with PC players in mind who are typically a few feet away from their screens and sat at some sort of table or desk looking at it, as opposed to console players who are typically a 2 or more metres away and using a larger but lower quality display in the form of a television set.

I recall when the scoreboard was refreshed, it was fed back that people couldn’t see the new scoreboard UI very well because of the font size and the reduced colour contrast. The feedback was acknowledged and then no changes were made.

So although I preferred the usability of the old On Duty, and see no benefit to players in revamping it, that’s isn’t really my issue. My issue is I can’t see the damn thing.

My message to DI is there is nothing wrong with changing your mind and rolling back a change if it’s what players want. This new UI needs more than minor tweaks, it needs major surgery or to completely go.
    • Like x 4
  15. Crn Well-Known Player

I agree with everything this guy said. This was not designed with console players in mind. I’m all for the redesign. But not at the cost of functionality.
    • Like x 1
  16. FreezyPop Well-Known Player

The color contrast issue (for me on PS4, at least) is a continuation of a general contrast issue. I still have to squint to see which abilities are
    unlocked on leveling items like artifacts, for example, though watching caps of PC players makes it clear that seems to be confined to console. I imagine the color values don’t port over well, perhaps? Or it may simply be a limitation of TV vs monitor graphics support. Either way, yeah, I have a heck of a time figuring out what I’ve actually got highlighted, and have had that issue since the prior ‘omnibus’ on duty menu.
  17. VariableFire Loyal Player

I think it's just a "it works fine on PC" thing. It wouldn't be a problem if one was using a mouse to move a visible cursor over to the options; however, a console user is typically pressing a button to select an option. The PC user gets constant feedback while making the choice (cursor movement) so the contrast isn't as strongly needed. The user is walking from point A to point B, with a clear idea of the choice being made.

The console user on the other hand presses a button and should get instant feedback. There's no in-between constant feedback like the PC user. It's as if the user is leaping from point A to point B, except in this interface, point B is obscured by fog and is surrounded by point C, D, and E.
    • Like x 1
  18. Chain Lightning Active Player

Idk if it's a bug but adding the square and triangle shortcuts like on the old UI would be helpful, as if now, i need to exit the UI 2-3 times to be able to see what is highlighted or to get rid of the freezing, also an easier tell for loot locks and resets would be good too and a better tell to see what's highlighted would be nice too, there are like 3 things that looks highlighted on ps on custom UI.
  19. Ozman Well-Known Player

I really don't like that I have to keep clearing things off my queue list before I can queue for something else. I know it's not exactly a huge undertaking, but it's just annoying.

On Wednesday night I did a bunch of omnibus raids and then logged off. Yesterday I went to queue for the Halloween vault, and all the omnibus raids from the previous day were still in my queue list which I then had to clear so I could re-queue for the vault. It just seems counter-intuitive.
  20. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

I would go look at the other thread. For ps players the consensus is ‘trash’. Trying to use the d-pad or analog stick to navigate the menu is just not worth it. Bring back the old ‘original’ on duty menu and trash this new piece of crap. That’s how you improve it btw.
    • Like x 1