I don't mean to be overly Critical but...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Belthazur, Oct 13, 2022.

1. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Agreed.

Although given it was a Black Adam episode I wasn't surprised that the open world was Kahndaq. That was the obvious choice for open world and we already had it in the game.

I kinda wish there were more Egyptian themes in the instanced content and more puzzles. There was a lot of potential for creativity here.

Could be better could be worse.
    • Like x 2
  2. El Guapo Well-Known Player

Reskins & bounty countersUO
    • Like x 1
  3. Proxystar #Perception

I tend to agree with you.

I want to be careful about how I express myself here so as to not cause offense the the developers, cause I don't mean to, but I feel like there's a difference between re-using assets and just taking an asset and just changing the color of the sky.

I have to agree with Belthazur that when you have around 6 months to make some content, I expected just a little bit more than a reskinned Kahndaq, although in saying that it's entirely unsurprising also.

The only advantage I guess is that it's something new after 12 odd months or more of Washington DC, let's never return there for a very, very, very long time.
    • Like x 3
  4. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Yeah, I'm not surprised at all. However, I've come to learn that tons of folks actually really like Kahndaq... They just don't like the PTSD they got from the raid in the past.
    • Like x 3
  5. Belthazur Dedicated Player

I have seen this...Laughed my Butt off
    • Like x 3
  6. Proxystar #Perception

I think it's possibly something to do with frequency of re-use as well, we've been to Kahndaq far less frequently and that should probably say something to the developers also.

If I was to implore the developers to do something at least that's please stop recycling the same tired Gotham and Metro open worlds with different variations of lighting effects, use other assets just a bit more frequently as well.

I don't think we've practically returned to New Genesis in forever, if ever. I'm sure there's a bunch of raids you could convert into open worlds as well that would create a slightly more refreshing experience as well.

I don't even think recycling is necessarily the issue, I think it's more about how frequently you do use them, especially if you're just creating a bit of an illusion.
    • Like x 2
  7. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Absolutely.
    • Like x 2
  8. Juggurnaut Level 30

For .50 cents a day you all expect a lot.
  9. Proxystar #Perception

A player doesn't have to consider the economical viability of Dimensional Ink when desiring fresh content.
    • Like x 2
  10. Juggurnaut Level 30

This is accurate for desiring fresh content. It’s not very realistic when expecting it. Understanding the bigger picture of the dev situation and the cost that you pay for membership, would align player expectations closer to reality.
  11. Proxystar #Perception

I think its entirely realistic to expect fresher content or when recycling have it a bit more thought out, don't rinse the same Gotham map a hundred times because it'll make the player far more alert to the fact you're recycling in the first place.

I don't think a player has to consider the finances a company at all when setting their expectations because that's just simply not their concern, a company has to meet the expectations of the players, especially in a industry that has mountains of competition seeking player interest and in turn money. It is only Dimensional Inks concern as to whether they've got the money to meet the expectations.

They need to be a bit better too at recycling assets in so far as it doesn't just involve changing the color of the sky or adding a haze effect, that is never going to work and won't wash with the wider player base, they're going to notice and they're going to begin noticing every single time.

I feel like with DCUO recycling of assets has hit critical mass and the players are now looking for it at every turn and in every piece of content because of the over use of certain assets that has become a bit too frequent, it obviously wasn't helped by an over saturation of Dark Knight content that's rammed down our throats for probably the last 2-3 years.

This game needs to go back to the core roots of DC Comics in my opinion.

More classic Riddler, More classic Joker, More classic Penguin, More classic Catwoman, more of the basic core stories and franchises and less of this niche edgy dark comic stories they've got going on, with characters barely anyone's heard from since the 70's - but that's just my opinion.
    • Like x 4
  12. Skoll Well-Known Player

I mean it’s not really surprising. People saying they’ve had 6 months to make this are probably overestimating how long this has been worked on. New programmers have had to learn a 11+ year old game engine and also work on legacy code and also try not to break the game. They aren’t seasoned veteran's who know the ins and outs of the engine and game, and I’d imagine the ones that are will have been teaching more than developing for a while. Recycled content has basically become DCUOs identity now with some new things like topping on a pizza, but the base will more or less always be dough and tomato sauce…

I’m not as bothered personally, has anybody seen the slate of current games new seasons and games in general releasing this winter? It is literally insane.
    • Like x 1
  13. MrGhosty Active Player

I don't mind reused assets so much as long as the story/fights are entertaining enough. If we're going into dream content territory, I'd love to see them refresh the base game gotham and metropolis maps and clear out the brainiac bottles to let us go to those new areas and rather than tell one major central story I'd like to see them do smaller stories all across the two cities and then add in new missions (solo,duo,alert,raid) that take people to different iconic locations across the DC mythos. It would be cool to see them repurpose the core game area as a new endgame style hub world that grows over time with new content added in with smaller bespoke open world areas unique to each episode.
  14. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

I mean… where else would the black adam dlc really have taken place
  15. Proxystar #Perception

In this game, I'm surprised it wasn't in the Fortress of Solitude.

I joke, mainly.
    • Like x 1
  16. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

I wont lie. This DLC is going to cause me to take a long break from DC. I was thoroughly disappointed that we waited all this time for this... I understand the situation they were in. But for me, this is worst case scenario. This is bad.
    • Like x 1
  17. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

i could do another FOS - maybe not the same map exactly - either that or just put together an openworld out of the current assets and run dailies out of it like new gen...
  18. Proxystar #Perception

If it's FOS in reverse I'm sure no one will ever know :D
    • Like x 2
  19. zNot Loyal Player

Recycled content aside only 2 bosses per raid is shockingly underwhelming for 6 months..
    • Like x 2