How fun was "bot duty" during SM?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ryazan, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Maybe it's pretty late to be asking this but whatever. Just a question to any of the controllers (or anyone else) that had to babysit the new "mechanic" in this latest SM, the robot add that would spawn in and drain our power/sc.

Personally, SM itself as not a tank is already boring, and even then the rounds just take too long, so as any role it's just ends up being tedious or dragging out for too long. Having an add to babysit in some rounds only made it worse, in my opinion. But I wanna hear what anybody else thinks.
    • Like x 1
  2. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Boring. Sleep-inducing. Tedious. Not fun.

It was impossible to convey how boring it was to anyone that didn't have to babysit the robot. My experience is that you were expected to "take one for the team" and just not have any fun for several hours - possibly multiple days - at a time. Things were even worse if you were on a team that was having problems with R19/R20.

Best strategy I came up with was to drag the Security Robot to the opposite side of the room, use Cuff'em to apply a 12 second stun, run back over to the boss to apply a couple of debuffs, get in a couple of quick weapon attacks, and run back over to stun the Security Robot again. At least that gave you a chance to get in some attacks.

Heaven forbid the robot exploded because you had to rally the entire team.
    • Like x 3
  3. Proxystar #Perception

Didn't bother me one bit. I was there to help and if my task was to control an add to prevent it causing problems then that was my task, it's no different than any other task a group member might have.
    • Like x 2
  4. nawanda Loyal Player

I thought it was quite a novel mechanic and added something different. It did get very tiresome, and I wouldn’t want it to be a permanent fixture in SM, but it gave the season an original feel. Occasionally it would spawn on a group member and instantly explode, that felt a bit unfair.

It must be hard to come up with new room mechanics if the actual room itself does not change.
    • Like x 2
  5. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

I used taser-pull to get the ad clear of group/tank's path and stun it. Then I would relentlessly hammer the d-pad to target other enemies to apply debuffs. It was not the most enjoyable experience.
  6. Kozzie New Player

I like the mechanic. It's nice to have something to do as a troll. It reminded me a little of wrangling the Manhunters back in the A&B days. NGL though, having it in so many levels did put it on the tedious side of things.

I tried to keep the bot where I could also be in range of the boss. It worked out so I could stun the bot, switch targets to get a rotation of 3 debuffs and a chain gun in, then switch back to stun the bot, repeat.
    • Like x 1