Why not direct DCUO towards a fixed "CR"?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Tolly, Sep 23, 2022.

1. myandria Item Storage

I agree about the game engine hurdle; it will be a hard one to jump over, especially since there is still a large console shortage with the PS5. In order for the devs to even think about migrating over to Unreal 5, they would have to see if Daybreak/DI is willing to invest in it for this game; it's not cheap by a long shot, even for a small dev team. They would have to ensure that most players will have access to it as well; what would be the point of migrating to Unreal 5 if most of the PS4 players do not have easy access to a PS5 AND Sony will not deprecate the PS4 until 2025 or thereabouts? Remember the PS3 was deprecated for this game around the time that Sony was going to deprecate the PS3 for new games, certain updates and online server access for games.

I disagree about knowing outdated software/tech; some companies have not fully migrated over to new technology; many still use homegrown software suites to run their business that is based on older technology. Knowing older and newer technologies and methodologies makes you a more flexible candidate in any industry; therefore, raising the bar on how much money you can command for your services.

This is why plumbers, for example, can charge so much money for their services; they know how to deal with old iron pipes as well as the new pvc plastic ones. This runs parallel with DCUO; they have to find people that know Unreal 3 as well as have an interest of learning and/or knowledge of Unreal 5. This would allow the company to hold onto their devs if and when they migrate upward to Unreal 5.
    • Like x 1
  2. Wallachia Devoted Player

It should be noted, however, that CO was released before being fully finished, and we got adds above max level because, back then, they were planning to raise max level to 50, but the plans were dropped.

About the suggestion in the thread, TBH I think we should have "reverse clamp": instead of setting us down to their level, the game should have the adds scaling in proportion to the players, ergo have the adds and bosses CR be the average of the players in the instance. The problem I see with this is what would happen if someone left and another player joined the instance. I don't know how that would work...
    • Like x 1
  3. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

I don't inherently disagree with this, but I don't think it's always the case. Your example is totally valid too, but I don't think it reflects the software/ game-industry fully. Let's say the dev team decided on Monday to announce they're fully rewriting the game for UE 5. Is it an advantage to know UE 3 after this gets completed? In no way whatsoever, UE 3 is based on a totally different visual scripting language (Kismet) compared to UE 4 onwards (Blueprints). While both have their roots in C++ there are huge differences.

Company I work for currently are overhauling their RDBMS, we have several different, very disparate data storage systems and we're consolidating them into a single system, Snowflake. After this process is complete, were never going to have to worry about knowing old versions of SQL, were going to be able to ditch a number of things in our pipelines that are outdated. A number of us within data analytics & MLOps will never have to use those skills again come December. Anyone we hire after that point, won't get asked if they know those languages/skills, they won't need them ever.

In the case of someone applying to work for DCUO, knowing older technologies is definitely an advantage but this isn't the case for many other games or software-based companies.
    • Like x 1
  4. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Who you callin' a Snowflake? xD
    I kid, I kid.
    Makes sense.
    • Like x 1
  5. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

Honestly, it would be a huge compliment. This Snowflake is truly stunning. Implementing it halved ETL costs, not to mention complexity of so many different things related to it. We implement both a Lakehouse and individual warehouses and it just feels good to use. Previously, extract the data from 10+ sources, algorithm to combine into CSV, train ML algorithm, deploy.
    Now, drag data source across, run code, deploy.

Wow, I digressed HARD.
    • Like x 2
  6. myandria Item Storage

Well, from my experiences with games that have instances that scale to the average of the levels of the player, if one player leaves then the average remains the same until another player joins to round out the team and the average level scale will then reset. The issue with this is that the mobs will perform according to the last average calculated, so if a higher level character(s) leaves then the lower level characters will most likely be watering face plants until another character joins the team or the instance is abandoned.

This could be exploited relentlessly in this game, in my opinion, because higher level CR players would severely tempted to kick lower level CR players and then run the instance on their own, because the instance would be averaged out to a lower CR level.
  7. GermanM Committed Player

Is not wrong think that way, is what you want to get from this game, a sensation of progress. I dont care about that anymore, i run elite´s some times to get feat´s, but for example, i dont have interest in getting all reputation from episodes, why? well because the same thing we´re talking about, why doing so much effort only to get a caducable armor that will expire in the next episode and 50 feat points? Even omnipotences expire so... in the end are just transitory thing´s.

I just see things different now. Yeah i try get feat´s all days, yeah i get the DLC yellow normal armor and lvl up the new augment´s and the episode omnipotence. But that is, the rest of the time i just help league mates to get feat´s, i do world missions, new and some old´s i think are fun, i run omnibus and bountis T5/T6 to get fun and source marks.I dont see the point in trying to be a pro in a game who constantly slow you down.
    And of course i like stat clamp because, as much as you two may be right, would be not fun for me kill bosses in 2 or 3 attack´s.

No one is weird, ours point´s of view are just different.
    • Like x 1
  8. GermanM Committed Player

As you said, there is no answer, but if they still sell CR Skips that make me believe that there are people buying.
    I particulary dont see much people spending money in CR Skip´s, i also cannot imagine who would buy source marks, but well... World is a big place, who knows?
  9. Tolly Committed Player

I am in full agreement with this, the CR skip makes people lazy enough to look for the essential and the CR skip system is really ridiculous to teleport one day to such CR with an unsuitable number of SP, at best, it should allow to pass the level 30 phase, or at the limit the E1 and E2 instances, but not more that it kills the balance of the game by emptying the low CR community those who didn't have this chance of the CR skip struggles to progress

They were able to put in place the statistical clamp, so it would be able to make this modification, it's more a question of will than of technology ;)

You have games like Elder Scrolls Online or Guild Wars where the progression of the stuff eventually stops at X level, then it's the equivalent of the SP that continues to take on all the importance of progression. There are still other games in the same context, but I don't have all the names in mind and I'm sure I've forgotten others.

On DCUO the player has become too much assisted with augments, artifacts etc...
  10. GermanM Committed Player

Wow, thanks for this, guess i am a horizontal player.
    • Like x 1