Enough is enough: What's being done about speed hackers?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by STsource, Aug 10, 2022.

1. niehlsbohr Active Player

Wow, that is very cheap labour. Assuming 8 hours/day 5 days a week, that's $8.3 per hours. I'll hire you right now!!
  2. Saami Loyal Player

It is sad news to hear this. I just came back few days ago and run few omni raids. Luckily i got no hackers in there, but cheaters ruin game experience for legit players.
    I guess they are in survival mode and in new instances. That is not good and Devs need to address this asap before all is lost.
  3. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I mean... insofar as speedhacking goes, the "vulnerable" area is the PC side; console clients don't have the same (pun intended) windows of opportunity for installation or application of a third-party software client to run side by side with the game itself.

We know it's possible to build a PC client that disables third party software while in use. Other companies do this. That's not news; it's not being done for "????" reasons, but that's not news in and of itself.

What IS news is Bungie (very) successfully pursued a lawsuit against cheat software designers and won that lawsuit, to the tune of a (ruinous) 13.5 million dollar settlement. That's at least some actionability against the source of the cheat itself, and it sets precedent.

So it begs the question - why is our development team pursuing neither of these as a course of action?
    • Like x 2
  4. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Heck yeah! Ban AND sue them cheatin' sombishes! 'Merica!
    • Like x 1
  5. RTX Well-Known Player

Which company disables third party software while in use? I wouldn´t know one game where that´s the case. If you´re talking about Anti-Cheat, that works totally different.

"Bungie successfully pursued a lawsuit against cheat software designers" Who/Whatever bungie is, good luck for him/them. Just because something is forbidden by law doesn´t mean that someone won´t do it. Also we´re living in a world where there are more countrys besides america. Just because you got a law, doesnt mean that it apply for other regions of the planet, on top of that is no software/hack programmer that stupid in not hidding their identity, you wanna bring a username infront of the court?

Also you should read the thread from the start, then you would came across Mepps statement.

Dont see this as offense but you shared your toughts and opinion on this topic, however you´re a blind who is talking about colors.
  6. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Anti-Cheat is categorically defined as a software that prevents other software exploits from occurring. Which sounds functionally and specifically like prevention of third-party software interference to me, since it's describing basically an identical thing. And the "little known company" you're thinking of who would utilize such a service is Steam.

Speaking of unknowns...

Bungie is the software company that produces Destiny and Halo. Not sure how you possibly missed either of those titles, but they're not exactly underground developer products. More what the kids these days would call "successful"; people who designed a game that regularly sees updates to the internal balance, whose problems are directly addressed by a proper developer response as opposed to the people in charge literally shrugging and saying "Iono what we're gonna do but we're gonna think about it".

But hey. You got that zinger at the end there, right?
    • Like x 3
  7. RTX Well-Known Player

Its a question about which words you choose, if you now say "prevention of third-party software interference" then its a difference to "disabling third-party software while in use". No third party software gets "disabled" only if there is an "interference" with the active game process.

Obviously i dont have to know the company behind Destiny or Halo, because im not claiming to know anything about those, beside that they should have alot more people working on it, compared to Dimensional Ink on DCUO.

Also these titles you mentioned shouldn´t be as "old" as DC Universe Online is, therefore game developers build those games from the base totally different and with hack prevention in mind. Thats what Mepps also meant to say with his statement.
    Also we don´t know in which way it would be possible to implement an Anti-Cheat solution, without breaking something.

If we beeing honest, there never been as much speedhackers in the game as there are now. There been a few, you been able to ignore. The view changed since they´re going to sell runs and break the ecosystem with it (Normaly they shouldnt have buyers, however they seem to have alot people who´re ok with that, a group isnt only 2 people)

At the end, we´re all able to votekick those and we dont have to compare ourselfs with people who finished anything at the first day. I mean they also could be buying those marks in the marketplace and will have it first day.

It is a problem, yes. But we get nothing done if we calling out the developers. No one is helped by writing how it could have been or what others do/did, especially not if you dont know if it could be applied.

Be patience, we already got their statement...they cant write a book now.
  8. niehlsbohr Active Player

People been cheating and speed hacking on SM since forever. Cheat moderately meaning don't beat lvl 30 with speed hacking because they will check logs but you can cheat 1-29 though but not in same day obviously, spread it out like a week or so.
  9. Mr.W Committed Player

It's a tough nut to crack & I applaud you all for continuously trying. The biggest issue that I feel ppl are overlooking is that (1) most hackers are on pc where you can't see their account name to report (at least not on ps) (2) as you said before most pc hackers just make new accounts & unfortunately speed back to their status quote b/c of the cheats. (3) allowing the playerbase to ban ppl in group is risky b/c we have salty scoreboard obessed ppl who may abuse the feature like ppl did the kick feature before the 3hr limit.

A (possible) better solution is an approach I discovered another game took with their bot issue. Instead of wasting TOO much time & resources trying to excessively ban pop up accounts they instead created a separate server where those bots could only enter a lobby with a bot. & any account flagged would be forced on that server away from the rest of the playerbase. I guess as a punishment you all could turn off feat achievements for those on the "caught cheating server"? As a fail safe I guess you can have players put in a ticket for review to get out of that server where you all check the logs of the player trying to rejoin the actual community.

P.s. can the kick cooldown be reduced to 5-10min please? Sometimes a bad apple really does ruin a whole bunch lol. The cooldown will be there, just a bit more reasonable.
  10. Enfys New Player

Banning people in group sounds like a terrible idea, not everyone will be aware the other person plans to speedhack or is speedhacking, specially if theres a large skill point gap. Not just with random groups. If you're newbie or not experienced enough with the game you might think the other person is just op for example.
    I think reverting any feats gotten from the speedhacking for the group would be better and the ban of the actual speedhacker.
    Either way it's gonna make people anxious about queueing for stuff and be bad for community. I'd suggest some sort of IP ban but as i've learned from issues with another mmo, that's super easy to circumvent too.
    I dont know how it works but blocking every third party software might be bad for those who have mobility issues and use special keyboards/controllers and such.
    Really tough issue to solve.
  11. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

What we need is...
    [IMG]
  12. Monkeyboy Committed Player

If a fight that takes 20 mins is taking a group 3 minutes, all are guilty, if they stay for multiple rounds. People complain about speed hackers but yet want slaps on the wrist. Ban the speed hacker & suspend others & take away all SM rewards. You can't ask them to punish people then ask for leniency.
    • Like x 1
  13. Monkeyboy Committed Player

PS was responsible for many hacks! PC players lost millions because of the PS hack. Jailbreak the PS and you can do anything a PC can.
    • Like x 1
  14. Enfys New Player

How newbies will know how long the fight takes or if its supposed to be easy? Suspending people that did nothing but have a bad person in their raid sounds like a bad policy and contrary to what they've been wanting with more ppl queueing for more content.
  15. Bladechaos Dedicated Player

The problem is the same with several other games like this that eventually become free to play....you can't restrict the rewards or you hurt honest players...banning account dose nothing to stop it because the i.p. address wasn't banned....and any changes made to the ban system to react to i.p. addresses would require a total rework and no static i.p. addresses could be used.....meaning alot of wifi players would lose ability to pass the logg in screen,...........in short gentlemen and ladies of dcuo we are stuck with hackers.....the flow of them can be stunted but the cure is worse than then illness, I suggest building a purest group, and only hang with purest....
  16. Monkeyboy Committed Player

Halo & Destiny have many undetectable hacks. I'm not going to advertise any site but Google can confirm them. If there's money to be made, some developers or basement programmers will do it. You have to use common sense in this issue. If the issue had a simple fix, they would fix it, unless it's an acceptable thing because they're getting a kickback or are the hack creators. Besides, who do speed hackers hurt besides Daybreak's bottom line?
  17. Monkeyboy Committed Player

When a newbie is punished, they can appeal & proof of them being new is all they need. Suspending people that benefitted from the speed hacking received those same rewards. Once again, you want them to have a tiered punishment system based on the player's knowledge of the game? Here's that can of worms, you open it.
    • Like x 1
  18. Bladechaos Dedicated Player

Ima take a second to mic drop, if after all these years they can't stop Wanda, then they'll probly be little hope to stop others,I love ya dcuo......but like...like dcuo number 1 most banned player ever and still truckin....
  19. Monkeyboy Committed Player

Banning an IP address does nothing! Use a VPN. They already have an IP ban system called an access control list.
  20. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

They take away from the enjoyment of the game. I've unknowingly been in two instances that had a speed hacker. Baffled, I didn't check the combat log to see who it was, but I was irritated at the time, one instance was the sixth dimension raid, and the superman fight was over in less than two seconds. The raid was new at the time, and there was always a feeling of accomplishment completing it without wiping. Because I don't spend replays, it blew that raid for me for a week.

First world problems? Absolutely. But to imply that it doesn't affect anyone but the speedhacker and Daybreak is not true.
    • Like x 1