Enough is enough: What's being done about speed hackers?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by STsource, Aug 10, 2022.

1. RTX Well-Known Player

Technically speaking, you can´t run unsigned code on a PS^^ That however you can bypass with a "jailbreak" meaning installing custom firmware (ROM).

Another method would be installing a proxy device between the motherboard and ram.

So the answer is yes, you can cheat on PS.
    • Like x 2
  2. flashnip New Player

The ''you think they would've done something by now'' in particular hits strongly with me, from my viewpoint it was happening in PvP first, then it became more prevalent in PvE, it was obvious how many people were doing it during the very first LPvE bonus week and now i feel like people barely even try to hide it anymore and i can't really blame them either with the lack of punishment this type of playstyle has received.

To add to the above point, depending on the type of content there's also quite a bit of hypocrisy. I remember during the first bonus LPvE week, the same people who were complaining when it came to Elite and SM speedhacking, were all of a sudden very silent and turning a blind eye (to their friends, leaguemates and themselves) when it was happening with LPvE because ''it's just grinding'', now this was just my limited interactions and personal experiences with people and seeing stuff like on YT and Twitch.

To me though it shows we need an actual anti-cheat system in place, different people have different ideas of what is considered (acceptable) cheating, if that's not feasable, maybe something what RTX was saying. Reporting is too convoluted and depending on who you ask, feels like it doesn't even do anything (better feedback to the person who makes the report maybe?). As Reinheld said, there isn't much future encouragment to keep reporting people when the only feedback you get is ''we'll investigate'' and then you keep seeing the reported people walking around.
    • Like x 2
  3. flashnip New Player

I'm sure i've seen PS trainers advertised at some point, i'm gonna guess you would need a jailbreaked PS for that.

Don't really know about the newer systems, but i remember ''back in the day'', with the older PS 1&2's and the original Xbox, you could bring them to ''a guy'' and he would ''chip'' the console (don't know if it meant installing an actual chip) and then you could install games on it without the need for game discs.
  4. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Dang, I guess PS in the end does win the console war then, because I don't hear of any of this crap happening on Xbox. So I guess PS in the long run actually DOES have more features in the end. Oop. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  5. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

So... it all goes back to Proxy.... hmmmm
    • Like x 1
  6. RTX Well-Known Player

There are plenty of different methods, however i can´t give more detail on that topic for good reasons. Also i´ve to add that its unlikly that many people would understand how to do it, while on PC however its as easy as installing a browser add-on, due to the fact that people doesnt have to code themself. And sadly there are people out there which use their knowledge for the bad.

Keeping that in mind, an Anti-Cheat software could keep away some of those Hack-Users, however a bypass is shared quickly and even that wouldn´t be to hard even for those which cant program, since those bad guys mostly going to share a detailed tutorial.

That´s why i also wrote a method in this thread which will work (Since i know how the No Delay is done)
    And obviously hacking is easy if you can modify the function in "your home" (Client), while it would be harder to step outside and break into "their home" (Server).

Meaning that there is no way around as a server sided cooldown for weapon combos. While that however wouldn´t solve all the hacking which is done, its the only thing which really needs a change other possible hacks wouldn´t gain a advantage.

Teleport for example, could be used but useless in terms of farming or time, since you would have to be a skilled player still.
    Maybe you could "skip" some instances that way, however most instances are coded that you have to clear out adds before a boss spawns. (Mainly a reason of performance, but helps for that aswell).
  7. RTX Well-Known Player

I´ve to correct myself there.

Teleport could be used when dead (Fake Revive, teleporting to the last location the player died) Beneficial in pretty much every alert/raid or SM, could be the hacker way of the pit water artefact.

Edit: Another function like bypassed the K.O state and keep fighting shouldn´t be possible, possibly able to attack but shouldn´t do damage to the target.
    Maybe there are other hacks i´m not thinking of at this moment, since that can be pretty individual, if you have it to do with a hacker.
  8. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I'm a PS player and I assure you there are ways for PS players to cheat. It's nothing like what PC players have access to but the tools for cheating on PS do exist.
    • Like x 2
  9. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I stand by what I said. I'm a PS player. I don't cheat. I never have cheated. I earned what I got the hard way by working for it. This whole thread has become insulting.
  10. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

But no one said you cheated. Just that other part players can cheat.
    • Like x 1
  11. myandria Item Storage

Walmart has $500 laptops? Which ones? The ones near me in N.J. USA have none and can't seem to keep them, especially since it is back to school/college shopping time. I haven't seen a $500 laptop for about 3 years now.
  12. myandria Item Storage

I can't see many people going that route, especially when there is a good chance of messing up the console for good, instructional videos or not. I think more people have access to a second computer/laptop than they do to technical knowledge and prowess.
    • Like x 1
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I didn't say you cheated.
    • Like x 1
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The laptop I have now I purchased at $300 from Best Buy.
    • Like x 1
  15. myandria Item Storage

Oh wow! I missed that sale! :oops:

I do agree with you about being able to cheat on the PS. I dont know WHY people would want to go down that hard road.

I have a tower desktop computer and a PS4, but I dont have the will or the patience to figure out cheats for this game or make multiple DCUO accounts (or multiple accounts for any game).
  16. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I believe the takeaway from this thread is that this behavior has not been taken care of satisfactorily. Heard, understood.

I can't stop myself from reiterating we do take this stuff seriously, we do ban based on valid reports every day, we do our own sweeps without player reports, and we have spent a lot of time under the hood addressing different aspects.

I think there is more to do - for example, extending account actions to those in the group, etc. There's probably a ton of complexity there, but suggestions like that do have a lot of merit.

Unfortunately, the 'real' solve is to rewrite the entire combat code base from scratch, with an unclear outcome as to how that might impact latency and feel for everybody playing the game normally. It is extremely frustrating.
    • Like x 9
  17. BumblingB I got better.

Group repercussions definitely would curve the close hacking for feats circle that we know is going on, but how would you handle things like open world, where the group of players not associated with each other gets the rewards innocently because someone decided to speed hack. Same for random queues. I can not imagine this would be easy to handle, but if it started happening it might at least deter the worst offenders at the cost of some innocents.

This sounds like it would be a nightmare. A nightmare for the devs who have to rewrite the code, test it, hopefully implement it successfully, and ultimately pray that another hacker doesn't circumvent the changes immediately. Then a nightmare for the players who have to deal with any bugs that would result in the system being overhauled.

I'm not against change, especially if it would actually help the game, but eesh, lets look at the earlier alternatives.
    • Like x 3
  18. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I personally am against being collateral damage if I were to blind queue into a raid and a speed hacker does his thing and then I get punished. That is too much to accept.
    • Like x 2
  19. STsource Well-Known Player

Far as im aware under SOE hackers were getting banned constantly
  20. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Fast burn enrage mechanics on every boss should solve a whole bunch of problems in the game…
    • Like x 1