PC Marketplace charging tax now for DB currency

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by HelloKittyPowa, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

Yeah I know. Im just letting the thread as a whole, including the Floridian folks, know that Florida is currently not charging a tax at the moment.
    • Like x 1
  2. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

I would just prefer the ability to change my currency to CAD from USD which doesn't sound like an unreasonable request :(
  3. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

I'd tax Raquel Welch...
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Even if you changed it into CAD, which I'm not saying is unreasonable, it's probably also pointless.

Once done, you can bet they'll adjust your local pricing for foreign exchange, it won't become 5CAD for 500DBC, it'll almost certainly become ~6.50CAD + applicable Canadian Taxes.

In fact if you take a cursory look across most digital platforms that automatically sell in local currency you'll find that this is more than likely the case when you then view the US stores by comparison.

Take Red Dead Redemption 2 for example on the Steam Store.

$39.99CAD on the Canadian Store
    $29.99USD on the American Store

So they're not selling RDR2 on the Canadian Steam store for $29.99CAD, they've adjusted it for the local market and are selling it for effectively the same price, but with a localized mark up to account for exchange (with a small difference of $1.45 based on current exchange rates)

In fact if we take DBC as the direct example and view it on the Canadian Playstation Store

[IMG]

It's exactly the price I said - $6.50 + Canadian Tax (5-15%) of which they've more closely taken 5% rather than 15% :)

Conclusion

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  5. myandria Item Storage

True; even physical purchases are done in the same way; for example, a physical book that sells for $100USD costs $120CAD.
    • Like x 1
  6. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Banks in Canada charge normally between 2.5 – 3.5% foreign transaction fee ontop of anything charged to your debit/credit card, unless you have an American based USD credit card, which you then have to wait until the exchange rate is good enough to transfer and pay off.
  7. Proxystar #Perception

Fair enough.
  8. Imaginos Dedicated Player

If they can calculate and add tax per state/area, then they can boost the station coin you get to compensate for it seeing as we never paid that in the past and we shouldn't have to get stuck with the bill now.
  9. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Tell you what, go ahead and write AN ACTUAL LETTER, ON PAPER, AND MAIL IT VIA SNAIL MAIL, WITH A STAMP ON AN ENVELOPE, TO YOUR LOCAL CONGRESSMAN, SENATOR, GOVERNOR, COMPTROLLER,ETC. AND SEE HOW FAR THAT ARGUMENT GETS YOU!

I'll be waiting for your reply a few weeks from now when you've heard back from them! ;):p
    • Like x 2
  10. Proxystar #Perception

Even better, write a letter to your government and tell them you no longer want to pay your taxes and you're therefore ceasing them immediately. I'll send some flowers to your prison cell :)
    • Like x 2
  11. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It's 2022, email has been a thing for the past few decades.
  12. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Yes, but people get SO MUCH EMAIL that an emailed letter is often ignored because it was too easy to send and/or got lost in the shuffle.

The reality of the world is that business and government officials STILL give more weight to AN ACTUAL LETTER, ON PAPER, SENT THROUGH THE MAIL because the sender had to take more time out of their busy schedule to prepare that and send it!

Your local government officials will ignore emails, Tweets, Facebook posts, Instagram posts, TikTok posts, even phone calls. But a REAL LETTER can get their attention where those others fail.
    • Like x 2
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

People that work in politics have assistants and secretaries that typically handle and filter email from the public.
  14. nawanda Loyal Player

Are there any other real life examples you can think of where companies have put their prices down/started giving customers more product for the same price because the government has started to levy tax? I’m not saying what you’re asking for is behind the realms of fantasy or impossible, but I am saying that your criticism is misplaced, as a company effectively absorbing the tax burden for customers is something you can’t realistically expect.

I’m the first to stick the boot in on DI/Daybreak when warranted, because I care passionately about the game, but I think your ire at paying tax, if that’s how you feel about it, should be aimed at the entity that is levying that tax, not the entity legally obliged to collect it.