PC Marketplace charging tax now for DB currency

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by HelloKittyPowa, Aug 3, 2022.

1. HelloKittyPowa Active Player

I just want to make everyone who is on PC aware, but I noticed now we also pay for tax when buying db currency and this wasn't like that before as far as I know since I put some money in every month for my character.

Are the PC servers okay?

500 DB currency - $5.00 - Tax: $0.44 = $5.44
    1000 DB currency - $10.00 - Tax: $0.88 = $10.88
    2000 DB currency - $20.00 - Tax: $1.75 = $21.75
    2500 DB currency - $25.00 - Tax: $2.19 = $27.19
    5000 DB currency - $45.00 - Tax: $3.94 = $48.94
    10000 DB currency - $85.00 - Tax: $7.44 = $92.44
    • Like x 3
  2. Eve YouTuber

When did they start charging tax? today? :\

p.s I am really not happy about it...
    • Like x 2
  3. HelloKittyPowa Active Player

I guess so, Zoe... I hope the pc servers are okay.
    • Like x 1
  4. Imaginos Dedicated Player

Guess I won't be buying any DC Cash unless they have a store cash sale. Way to lose money DCUO!
    • Like x 2
  5. Imaginos Dedicated Player

PC gets taxed too. Guess it depends on where you are. Was 33 cents for me in AZ.
  6. Belthazur Dedicated Player

WOW So...How can they Put a tax on MP Items like this just out of the blue?
    MEPPS!!! We need a Explanation.
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I'd imagine the rates might vary from state to state in the US depending on any state sales taxes.

As for why, for quite a while online purchases weren't subjected to being taxed. Then pressure started getting put on companies by states, probably because people weren't reporting it (Michigan, for example, has a use tax intended for online purchases or purchases by mail). That's why you saw companies like Amazon start to charge your state's sales tax in any purchases. I've also seen sales tax start to get charged in purchases from Nintendo's E-shop.

Guess it finally got around to Daybreak.
    • Like x 1
  8. BumblingB I got better.

I'm not seeing a tax using the official webpage. (I'm at work.) So is this region based? Like for people outside of the US? Or maybe at a state level?

[IMG]
  9. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Probably at a state level. In the state I live in, the Comptroller admitted a few years back that the state was owed millions a year in tax revenue from online purchases, but the state had never bothered to take the steps to collect it. Now they are. :(

I am, however, given to understand that if one uses a VPN to give their PC greater security, that it may also be possible to make your computer appear to be in a different physical location than the one it's actually in. But of course, using such a capability to avoid paying taxes one owes would be wrong! ;)
  10. BumblingB I got better.

Well, I don't use a VPN and if it is state level, I'm thoroughly shocked that CA isn't included. They friggin tax EVERYTHING else, why is digital currency excluded. lol (Note, I don't want it to happen. Just surprised.)
    • Like x 1
  11. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Time for the United States players to change their state to Delaware. Works for PS too. :p
    • Like x 1
  12. Rejchadar Inquisitor

For the sake of interest, I bought it through steam, no additional tax happened (if anything, I live in Eastern Europe ...) ...
    • Like x 1
  13. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I suspect this is probably based on the country you're in.
    • Like x 1
  14. Valka Lynx Dedicated Player

I always had taxes applied whenever I bought daybreak cash. :confused:
    I remember paying something like 6$ (5+1) for 500 DC or so.

If I pay for membership with a card, it also comes with a tax. Tho purchasing membership with a steam wallet doesn't apply any taxes.
  15. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Don't blame DBC, blame your government who wants to get a piece of the pie.
    • Like x 3
  16. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I'm not aware of anything that changed today, but whether tax is charged is / has been just based on your state/country.
    • Like x 6
  17. nawanda Loyal Player

This is one of the stupidest comments I’ve ever read on the internet. Do you know what tax is and who imposes it on citizens?
    • Like x 1
  18. Proxystar #Perception

They (Daybreak) have a legal obligation to collect tax from you and pay it to your government, that's all Daybreak are doing.

If it just started today it is likely because your government has decided to now enforce its collection, basically you were lucky not to have paid it until now or the change has come in to force because of a law change.

It was like that for me as well until the government here decided they'd collect sales tax on digital purchases, the moment that law changed, taxes were applied to all my digital purchases worldwide where the company does business with people from my country.
    • Like x 5
  19. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

Florida is not taxing. Just FYI.
    • Like x 2
  20. Proxystar #Perception

It's probably important to make the distinction of course and noting other similar posts above as well, if you're not being charged taxes it's probably because your State is choosing not to pursue the purchase tax, that of course could literally change any any moment resulting in an overnight change.