Test Discussion Survival Mode Season 3

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Mepps, Jul 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

I think the first 9 rounds could have checkpoints to make them more inclusive, but all 30 removes a lot of the Survival Mode feeling, as you wont be punished for losing a player and will just be able to keep repeating stuff over and over
  2. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

Did rounds 1-10 on test , the health pools are way too high at this point. They were fine imo. One person's advice (Obsidian Chill) said that the health was too low and boom all devs ran with it. Like come on. I know he tries to help but not all of us like to spend hours and hours on a video game. Health pools need to be adjusted fr
    • Like x 8
  3. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

What feeling is that? the feeling of frustation and redundancy of being extra punished?
    The only point of the current progress point system is to make the player waste more time than it should be.
    There is a line between challenging content and just pure masochism. Maybe 1% of the player base that have tons of free time will agree with you tho.
    • Like x 6
  4. FatPatd New Player

Agreed
    Yesterday I played rounds 1-10 and noticed the following:
    1.Way too much health on Bosses like if we were playing rounds 11-20 instead.
    2.Each round checkpoint is needed often many people took breaks every 2 rounds on the past SMs because of this and sometimes they didn't come back and we got stuck cause we needed to help another player with lower rounds to reach ours and back 2 or 4 rounds again...having each round checkpoint will help many people find more groups and being able to reach higher rounds avoiding frustation and having more fun experience even resetting rounds for some specific loot farm.
    3.On round 9 Krona will be fine if he is the only boss cause you have his one shot attacks often and you need to pay attention constantly in addition to the purple pools what I feel unnecessary was Vice boss he just felt like a random extra health add roaming the room instead of I have to pay attention on what he is doing, regarding arbitrary bash yep need be adjusted just sometimes randomly destroys you without a telling.
    • Like x 1
  5. SilkyPawz Bunny

I agree on this part, last SM 1-10 was to make it more inclusive for everyone to be able to at least run it.
    • Like x 3
  6. SilkyPawz Bunny

^^ agree with all of this.
    • Like x 2
  7. Warped Discord Moderator

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. Baron does absolutely nothing from a mech standpoint other than the stab attack, jumping into the group occasionally and his block skull mechanic. Minotaur is notorious for tanks on higher rounds because you actually have to dodge roll or grey range tank them/use Phase Dodge to avoid the one shot BB. Switching bosses for the mere purpose of wanting a style isn’t what survival mode was ever intended for. Besides, you make it to round 7 and you can choose the round 6 checkpoint and keep spamming it over and over again with replays to your desire until you get the horns.
  8. Warped Discord Moderator

Upvoting this for the health pools because they are indeed way too high. But part of the challenge of SM has always been the even round checkpoints. You would have a lot more groups beating SM if there was a checkpoint for every round and beating round 30 should be exclusive to the most elite players who can brave through 29 again if they wipe on 30. Again, just my thoughts and feedback.

As far as Krona goes, I do think this will pose an issue for round 29. Maybe not 9 or 19 (because you can basically keep them on opposite sides of the room and do this combo just fine if the group kills krona first which is how my group did it) but I think this combo is going to be near impossible for 29 unless groups can come up with a creative way to take on the challenge.
  9. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

I guess this is a selfish gatekeeper mentality that some of the people on testing feedback have; you guys are more worried about keeping people away from succeding SM than improving the experience for the larger playerbase, otherwise there is no reason to oppose to have checkpoints every round. The only challenging part of the current format is wasting time after wiping on a boss you already beated.
    • Like x 3
  10. Warped Discord Moderator

This in no way keeps anyone from succeeding at SM and is actually counterproductive to the argument you’re trying to make as far as improving the experience for the larger playerbase (which is entirely a subjective opinion in itself). I would agree with and certainly wouldn’t be opposed to rounds 1-10 being a checkpoint for each round for your casual gamers just so we have a middle ground but anything past that should keep the even round checkpoints. This isn’t the platform to have this debate though. I’m open to discuss this via private DMs if you wish. :)
  11. Warped Discord Moderator

No, the health pools did in fact need to be increased as it was still scaled to what a 4 man SM would be. But then the health was scaled entirely way too high. I’m sure Quixotic will tone it back down once he’s had a chance to go through all of the feedback and see that there is a consensus on the the health pools being too high. :)
  12. Proxystar #Perception

Well for one let's not pretend grey range tanking is a skill, really it's cheese that has ripened so hard it borders on exploit. On the one hand we remove "lunge spamming" but we're supposed to accept tanking out of range with cheap long range tactics like ice's 100 power cost snowball to maintain aggro out of range of the boss.

It's a bit of an oxymoron to highlight mechanics then suggest the path to overcoming mechanics is gray range tanking thus avoiding any and all boss mechanics...

You act like you're face tanking Baron, which isn't really the case, so there's plenty of justification to have him at the higher rounds - not to mention the game should be moving away from kiting and gray range tanking in my opinion, not encouraging it.

For the record I don't need the style (this isn't about me, I'm looking at the satisfaction of the experience to the wider community) but I know many people do, especially newer and more casual players that despite your assertion aren't necessarily capable of a lot of SM. Given this is now in the third iteration and who knows whether Minotaur will return next season, it doesn't hurt to throw the more casual players a bit of a bone in putting Minotaur in the very first round.
    • Like x 2
  13. Proxystar #Perception

Agree with Ala.
    • Like x 1
  14. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

If you played SM before the update then you would know that the health pool difference between 1-10 at release compared to now is closer to 11-20 health pools. If a boss is dying in less than 30 seconds that isn't accurate health pools, even Event version bosses aren't dying in <30 seconds. Round 1-10 are meant for casuals who need base items and data chips but at the same time we can't be having entire rounds last 90 seconds with adds.
  15. Proxystar #Perception

I do agree that fights shouldn't be lasting 30-90 seconds, that's a bit silly - it just needs to feel like last seasons round 1 - 10 while taking into consideration the additional 2 people.
  16. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

The health pools are simply a bug and not intended, there isn't a need for people to start raising pitchforks to nerf all of SM. Clearly it shouldn't take like 15min to do round 4. Even Elite Raid boss fights are 10min or less. The checkpoints every round is not required, what incentive do you have to actually perform where if you beat a even round you can just say who cares we can die because we start at the same spot each time. It is still survival mode, not checkpoint mode.
  17. Quixotic Developer

Lots of good feedback and debate. Thank you for that!

I would agree that enemy health is too high in the current iteration and plan to do another pass on that. I think both the initial and latest health settings were good tests, though. They provided some good data and established low and high points that should help me find a good middle ground. In general, I'd prefer the boss fights don't end in less than a minute. But I don't want them all to be long, drawn out slog-fests either. I'll work on that.

As far as checkpoints go, I am using the setup from previous Survival Modes for those and will have to dig into it to familiarize myself with the system and find out if adding more checkpoints for rounds 1-10 would be doable without breaking a lot of things. Might be something that has to wait for the next Survival Mode. Or could end up being reasonable for this one - at this point I don't know.

- Quixotic
    • Like x 3
  18. Proxystar #Perception

I think even if every round had a checkpoint it might increase ever so slightly the amount of people that finish SM, but not at any sort of massive disproportionate level. I think you'd still get most groups not capable of beating it wiping on boss rounds repeatedly. I don't think it's like it would suddenly open a floodgate of people finishing.

I think the concerns to gate keep SM are sometimes a little too intense at the expense of a more widely satisfying player experience - I did, for that reason, agree with Ala.

It might be worth a try, if it felt like it was perhaps too easy it could always be changed back in the next season. We can agree to disagree on that part though lol :D
    • Like x 2
  19. Proxystar #Perception

Thanks Quixotic, much appreciated, was there any chance of swapping Baron with Minotaur?
  20. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

Thx for taking into consideration the checkpoint feedback and looking into it.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.