Base music and ambient music

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by beardrive, Jul 10, 2022.

1. beardrive Committed Player

Yep, base designers got the bass. We have music on warp-in, and our Atlantean lair and immenties in all our lairs have sound, why not multiple ambient soundtracks for the rest of them?

The nice thing is DCUO already has all that great background music and ambient sound. We might apply a sound/music simply by picking it from a list in a tab to the right of the Colors Tab in the base decorating GUI. It would also work well in our base immenities vendor, as well as perhaps a tab to the right of permissions in our mainframe.

Just imagine gotham street sounds, for instance, or the frightening funhouse noises. The possibilities are endless! Wouldn't it be nice to have all those terrifying screams from Joker's Funhouse echoing through our lairs for a Halloween base? What was that Achikah--are those tears of joy?

All the assets are there already, pre-recorded; they just need some new hands to put those sounds where they belong, in our creative hands!

This is a reasonable ask, in light of 1 promised 2 dropped lair plans, and various other occurrences regarding base items which to this day result in more narratives and fewer general base items part of last year to this year, 2022 (THANK YOU for the Dr Fate base item box, which will be a separate post from me in future).

Though it's been rough, It's OK to write this now. We have money and staff. I checked the staffing at DCUO and they've filled most of their gaps in personnel (only 7 positions currently open), not to mention a Wayne's World "We got 25 million dollars!"

So we shall consider of all the ways this can't happen, then intelligent people will listen to us and make it happen for us after listening to our complaints. Complaining in the beginning just makes everything more streamlined at the end.

Does anyone remember when a DLC came out and we'd just get base items dropping into our inventories day one? Add that whine to the cheesy-cracker sounds in our new Base Sound Inventory!
    • Like x 5
  2. Mysticwarriormj Well-Known Player

Yeah not a big fan of the default music for the gothic lair, Would like to get rid of it and replace it with a different theme based on what base I am trying to set up like nature sounds for my nature character or if I am making a water/ocean themed base some nice aquatic ambience would be nice.
    • Like x 3
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

What’s funny is, I’m pretty sure the Space Base didn’t have music before the update. Now it does and I’m not liking it. It doesn’t go away after a bit like the other lair music themes do.
    • Like x 1
  4. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

Well OP and I have had a small discussion on this and he asked me to post my suggestion here.... I would like it if we could set up a playlist thru Spotify and have it play in our base, in theory they could set it up where the playlist would override the background music channel (this way you can still control the overall volume via settings) in the base and even have it thru the mainframe/generater where we can "lock" a playlist to a base. Now as much as i would like this concept to be implemented for free to all players there is an opportunity here to make money off of this, i would suggest that it be added to membership and also available for purchase in the MP, say 5 bucks for a character specific and say 10 bucks to do it account wide, thus giving as many options as possible for us to get this perk.
    • Like x 3
  5. beardrive Committed Player

Yep! That is a great idea, and better than my own! Thanks! I hope the developers give it a gander.
  6. Achikah All About That Base

I'm gonna preface this by saying I know pretty little about game programing and the mechanics that go into, so I apologize to any dev/programmer out there if this request is outlandish or counter productive. However, if doable, I think it's a good middle ground for your guys as well as what the player base is requesting.

That being said, there's a really cool feature in a game called Stardew Valley I frequent. One of the furniture items you can place in your house is a jukebox, and you can program it to play any music found within the game in said home. Whenever you wake up or enter your house, the chosen theme plays, but outside your house you get the usual music that'd play within the game.

Since I'm assuming all musical assets used in DCUO currently are within the games code already and also licensed/legal for use within it, I was wondering how viable it'd be for something like that to exist in game. Maybe it's not even a furniture piece, but a new amenity. The teleporter was the last one we got, and I think it'd be awesome to get a jukebox. Plus, like most amenities, it's style would shift between the base theme which would also be super, insanely cool.

I feel like this is a good compromise of both worlds- players get selectable music from the game's library of unique music tracks or ambient noises and the devs wouldn't have to deal with further licensing of things beyond what would already being utilized in game. Plus, there's a monetary incentive of purchasing an amenity as well.

TL;DR: Add an amenity for a jukebox for bases that houses the library of music/tracks already found within the game, as well as new ones as they're added.
    • Like x 4
  7. Irvynnge Loyal Player

fairly sure they wouldn't let you upload your own tunes into the game. not that I'm super up on these things, but I should imagine apportioning royalties would be a nightmare. that said, I can think of no reason at all that they couldn't give us a type of in-game music jukebox thingie. although I'm more drawn towards the idea of ambient sounds rather than full on music, I see no downside to the request. big old thumbs up from me.
    • Like x 1
  8. Achikah All About That Base

100% agreed! Ambient sound would be a great option for more natural or outdoor bases to get their use form a jukebox. Also, royalties and licensing wouldn't be needed for most sound effects like blowing wind, ocean tides, bustling city sidewalks, or rainforest noises. So maaaaybe (if this is even a viable thing mind you), if we ask the devs nicely to put in a bit of extra effort, they could throw those into the catalogue as well...?

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. Irvynnge Loyal Player

have two sections. music. & from that, you can choose from a huge selection of music available all through the game. & ambience. & from that, you get a selection of basics - forest, jungle, busy city, night city, storm, spooky, nightclub, fun fair, undersea, hellscape, etc. almost all of the ambience is there already in the game. start with that. & go from there. hells, I'll even pay real monies for any extra bells & whistles.
    • Like x 1
  10. Jcal Dedicated Player

Ahhh, so I'm not going crazy! One of my farming alts uses that dive theme and I was like, wth is going on? Full on BGM!?

I liked it and I would want to see this effort expanded to other base themes.
  11. Eve YouTuber

I love the ideas here. +1
  12. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yeah, there's a lot existing tracks that would work well for background sound in bases and league halls, both music and just like white noise/environmental sounds (IE wind, birds, original songs like the Black Canary songs or the Sea Shanty, etc.)

Maybe it could be another tab in the menu, whether it's in the overall menu with like rename, relocate, prestige check-in, etc. or in like the decorating mode side menu where it has the tab for base items and the tab for emblem and colors. Could also be an interactive jukebox or grammyphone or boombox or such. Or even both!
  13. myandria Item Storage

YAAS! I love the Stardew Valley Jukebox! :D I can imagine different versions of this jukebox, though: one version would have the music from the lairs, content, Gotham and Metropolis and missions, one that has everything the first one has PLUS the Seasonal Events music and one that has only the Seasonal Events Music (instead of having multiple speakers that need switching out for each seasonal event just use one jukebox). They could be monetized; or not.
    • Like x 1
  14. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I like that there is music opposed to none. But I wish that it would eventually stop like the other lair themes.
    • Like x 1
  15. Imaginos Dedicated Player

It's been so long but didn't City of Heroes allow you to play a local playlist off your computer? Man I miss stuff like that.
  16. myandria Item Storage

Yes it did; I miss being able to do that.
    • Like x 1
  17. golddragon71 Dedicated Player

I always turn the ambient/base music off as I find it distracting.