Graphics Update 2023

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Pale Rage, Dec 1, 2021.

1. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I don't think they replaced Jack yet.
    • Like x 1
  2. Beard Maaaan Well-Known Player

It certainly is illegal to lie to investors.

https://gbr.pepperdine.edu/2010/08/businesspersons-beware-lying-is-a-crime/

There are shareholder lawsuits. I’ve even gotten some money from some class action lawsuits from companies I’ve invested in.
    • Like x 1
  3. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

I KNOW there won't be any engine update because to do so they'd have to completely re-write the entire game, which isn't going to happen. The same speculation runs rampant over on ESO too, but the devs have said previously that they cannot change an engine without re-writing the game, basically making a NEW game. So yeah, it's not going to happen. A graphics 'update' like they did when PS4 came out, sure, but no new engine.

As for Jack, already going over a month and no new CEO announced, not good. Although, I'm sure they're looking for someone with experience and in today's job market, it's not going to be easy. Too many studios popping up, merging, and new games in development.

However, based on the graphics we've seen of 'what could have been' of the Marvel MMO, I am SO glad it got cancelled! I have no doubt that they presented these to the EG7 management and the first thing they said was, "You're joking, right?" How would that have appealed to a large segment of ADULTS, since it appeared to be very 'child-oriented' imagery... and I don't know many children with deep pockets for subscriptions or marketplace items. A single-player game, sure... but not for mass MMO appeal. I'm sure that's where EG7 got the, 'won't make back the investment' from... because based on the graphics we saw, IMO, it definitely would not have had mass appeal.
    • Like x 3
  4. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Those graphics appeals to the Fortnite crowd...which is just one of various reasons I wouldn't touch that with a 20 foot pole. So yeah, I shed no tear for that game's demise.
    • Like x 3
  5. Tolly Committed Player

It's sad to try to copy X because it was so successful, to see a Marvel game fall so low is really sad, I'm a big fan of the Marvel universe, but I wouldn't have put any Euros in that game, not even 1 minute of my time on it or alor0s, just to see what it could have given, but I already know that with such a visual, I wouldn't have been a customer, but then, not at all.

Isn't the technology largely evolved nowadays to offer more impressive games than this? I wouldn't even mind a graphic touch in the style of Borderlands, which I think would be closer to a comic book look than the graphic style they tried on that project!
    • Like x 1
  6. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

That's the thing... If it works, it works... Sucks but true :(
    That piece of garbage (in my opinion) game that starts with an F is just so damn successful everyone wants to have a piece of it. The new generation is just EATING that crap up completely. Who knows why? I guess they assumed it was the alluring cartooney graphics? Anything to put their hands into money/daddy's wallets. That's what it all boils down to in the end though, sadly. Especially nowadays.
    • Like x 2
  7. Wallachia Devoted Player

FHE LEGEND OF ZELDA?
  8. Khaoy New Player

[IMG]
  9. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Lying has a very specific legal meaning. It means that not only is what you said false, but you knew it to be false. I can see a pretty woman in a bar and say to my friend, "I'm going to marry that girl". Now, I'm not lying, I may genuinely harbour legitimate, if creepy, expectations that this woman will be swept off her feet. Realistically, it's more likely a restraining order, and not marriage vows are in my future.

Now, if months later I'm out with some friends and point to the same pretty woman and say, "That's my wife". That's a lie.

If the investor's prospectus was overly optimistic, that's one thing, but it's not necessarily a lie.

This is one of the reasons that it's hard to prove in court. Not only do you have to prove the falsehood, but you have to prove that there was a mind set, and that's difficult to do.
    • Like x 1
  10. Swamarian Committed Player

They can't replace the engine, but they may be able to do updates to the current engine. When the game was built, it was limited more by the PS3 than by UE3. They may be planning on going through and revisiting options that were turned off because of the PS3, and revisiting those decisions.
  11. Wallachia Devoted Player

To a limited extent, but you are still correct.

Examples comprise Champions Online and Star Trek Online, that uses the exact same engine with the exact same assets, but STO was upgraded and CO was not. Even the developers are the same, as they were moved from CO to STO.

Champions Online

Star Trek Online
    • Like x 1
  12. Swamarian Committed Player

STO also had a major lighting revamp a couple of years ago, and is on their third iteration of Earth Spacedock, and second of DS9.
    Warframe's had major changes to its engine recently, too, along with major changes to the Corpus tilesets.
    A big difference is both those games wrote their own engines, unlike DCUO.
  13. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

I am betting that it will be just like when PS4 launched... the updated graphics on PS4/PC but never touched PS3 since it was already at the hardware limitations. I'm not sure if PS4 can handle any further graphics upgrades... but they won't discontinue the PS4 for many more years. Even when PS3 was holding the game back, they stubbornly refused to move on, causing the game to suffer for years because of it.

What DCUO needs right now is leadership, not leadership that comes in with their own ideas for a new MMO, but leadership that wants to FOCUS on DCUO!! I think this should have been a big red flag with Jack from the start.
  14. Panderus Senior Producer

This. Please do not overhype or set expectations we have not clearly stated ourselves. I want you all to be excited at the right time and at the right level when we can share details about anything in this regard.
    • Like x 5
  15. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Unreal Graphics Engine 5 Upgrade confirmed!

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  16. Hraesvelg Always Right

I think you mean 6.
    • Like x 1
  17. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

No! 5! That's the surpise!
  18. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

I think this is useful to highlight what's different in terms of graphics & capability: https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/real-advantages-and-new-graphical-features-of-ue4-over-ue3/22385

It covered a lot of the typical questions you find on the subject while still not overwhelming the reader.

People should also be aware that switching to UE4 is going to be so advantageous in the long run in terms of general programming and therefore quality of updates. UE3 uses Kismet, UE4 uses Blueprint which is made up of C++ modules. Finding developers fluent in that language is much, much easier and I'm guessing will have a knock-on effect on the quality of releases to come.
  19. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

I'm not sure why people are still talking about an engine change, because it won't happen without completely re-writing the game. They can do a graphics update, as they did when PS4 came out, but not an engine change. If this were possible, they would have done it long before now. Then when you consider the recent loss of devs, it just won't happen. Update sure, eventually, probably pushed to 2024 now... but engine change... no.
  20. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

Pretty sure that's exactly what's happening though and, no it wouldn't have happened long ago.
    Both updating the engine and updating the graphics were considered as far back as this interview with Jack Emmert in 2020, source
    • Like x 1