Increase the penalty for abandoning a mission

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by LipstickHeroine, Jun 12, 2022.

1. LipstickHeroine Active Player

There seems to be an unusual number of times that I have a raid fail because someone, or a number of somebodies chooses to leave in the middle of a raid. I would suggest that upwards to 65% of all the raids I take part in, has at least one member of the group leave at some point. It's sometimes a critical person that leaves right at a boss or mini boss fight.

I would suggest that if someone leaves without being voted to be excluded by the party, that a stiffer penalty be imposed. Everyone has to leave sometimes, but it seems that the option is being abused and this often results in numerous peoples time being wasted.

Perhaps a 12 hour lockout, or something similar. The inability to use vendors, brokers, etc. could be imposed to help curb the over use of this option.

Thanks for listening.
    • Like x 1
  2. Zneeak Devoted Player

What about all the people crashing in the middle of an instance?
    • Like x 16
  3. LipstickHeroine Active Player

That's certainly a valid point. I guess that does happen. I can't recall the last time I personally crashed. I don't have a good answer to that possible issue, though I would hope it was and I think it likely that it's not as common as the issue itself. Good question.
    • Like x 1
  4. Zneeak Devoted Player

These days, game crashes are actually quite common and your request would directly kick a man already laying down. Not only did my game just crash, but with your request set in motion I would now have a 12h lockout. That is just not feasible, in any way. Especially not for anybody playing the game on PC, where memory leaks and other potential issues make up for quite a lot of game crashes.
    • Like x 3
  5. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

They would also have to make it so players won't get locked out until the 1st add is killed or something. Gotta be sure we still get Queue-ins!
  6. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

If 65% of the time someone is leaving a raid than you may want to put your energy into finding out why people are leaving. People don’t normally leave for no reason. They leave because things are going wrong. Some don’t want to listen and want to ignore mechanics which leads to dead raids. Why should people be punished because someone in group won’t listen?

Also most people don’t even want to vote and this leads to people not being able to excuse themselves because people don’t want to vote yes. So they should be forced to wait 12 hours?

How do you spread the ones doing it to hurt the group and those stuck in bad groups? What about when you run into a speed hacker and the group doesn’t want to kick them because “free marks” and also won’t let you be excused from the instance. There are far more important things for the devs to worry about then someone leaving your group 65% of the time
    • Like x 2
  7. Time Warped Level 30

Let's say 1 or 2 good players get in a raid where the other 5 or 6 ate not very good. And they want to leave but the group votes no because they believe they can beat it with effort and love those 2 players should be locked from playing hor 12 hours?.

Let's say a tank gets in a run where they are doing their God getting adds and boss but some people are clueless that they need to do a certain mechanic to kill the boss or the tank has been tanking the 2st boss for longer than a regular run take for them and then want to leave because they understand the run is not worth it they should be locked for 12 hours because some players voted no?

Or a healer is being healing like crazy cause some players understand the healer gotta heal trough the mechanic rather tan avoid it.

Or a dps who in the 1st boss is 2m over the closest dps who is 500k

I think is not that simple.
  8. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

There has been a few times I've tanked the current reg raid and everything is decent up til the last boss. People just don't understand the simple concept of blocking, and it becomes the 80% of time spent in the raid. So quite a few times I just nope out, since they don't vote or won't excuse. There have been more times, I've have to simplify the explanation of what goes on with Perpetua's eye beam, just to finish the raid. I just tell them everyone needs to block or we die, because telling them she only targets one person seems to break the mind, even though she places a white arrow over your character.

Ive seen a healer HAVE the beam and kill the group, WHILE spamming heals, and then wonder why everyone died. Lol

So if players are leaving 65% of the time, there are big issues that need to be addressed (performance/mechanics), and the players leaving simply do not have the patience to reteach people basics on how to play the game.
    • Like x 6
  9. Rip Kurrent Well-Known Player

I was in a run where not once, not twice, not even three times.. someone tried to spell it out for everyone and no one listened. It was admittedly my first time, but once I was "shown" the err of my ways..I was good. Whoever that was..thank you lol
  10. KidKretz Committed Player

ummmm no!
    • Like x 3
  11. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

I crash sometimes and it sucks when you do in the middle of a raid ugh it's the worst followed by rallies or warping to somewhere else. I will also leave if I see the writing on the wall and you already know if a group isn't going to work out or cut it lol but I haven't left a raid in a while granted I don't play like I use to anyway but even still people crash so much it's ridiculous.
    • Like x 2
  12. Proxystar #Perception

It doesn't just happen, it happens.. all. the. time.

As I've pointed out in my other thread there is a memory leak in the game simply causing PC clients to crash simply by visiting too many worlds and loading too many textures in to memory.

The number of times I have just periodically crashed for no reason other than that is become absurd. It has become a daily ordeal attempting to play this game, especially with events in the House of Legends, a spot notoriously guilty of causing crashes related to memory allocation.

I think in theory it's a good idea to have a penalty but at the same time it can't be too punitive to the extent that it starts to make random omnibus queuing seem less appealing.

5 minutes would probably be the maximum penalty I ever endorse for example, quite frankly your idea of 12hours is nothing short of ridiculous, you want people to stick around and not leave but you also don't want them just simply never going in to give it a try.

12 hours would kill the game, people wouldn't bother playing.
    • Like x 6
  13. Wonder Wiccan Dedicated Player

I crashed about 4 days ago just as last boss was about to die. I very calmly turned off my PlayStation and my tv. Sat down and meditated because I was about to send my fist through my tv and up someone's ****. I was that angry that I had to factory reset to a state of tranquility. Being locked out for 12 hours would have made it worse.
    • Like x 3
  14. PickArole Well-Known Player

All good responses. What about people who feel they are bringing the team down? Many leave because their stats on the board are low. Punishment for these people should be a thanks for freeing up a spot, not lockout. Then you have the ones who get put in at the final boss instead of the beginning, should they be punished for leaving? Many reasons that a lockout is not even an option. As for a more serious penalty for deserting, not a bad idea, but then comes our crashes and legitimate reasons to leave.
  15. inferno Loyal Player

Wassup, Wicc!!
  16. Proxystar #Perception

I don't think anyone leaves mid instance because of their performance on the scorecard, certainly not a random PUG instance, they'll just take the carry and the free loot. They simply will not care about the scoreboard even if they are actually trying.

I don't accept the premise at all that, that is a genuine reason a person leaves the instance.

A person leaves the instance more often than not because it's failing and failing repeatedly. Some people are probably guilty of having very little patience when it comes to how much effort they want to put in, but the reason they're leaving remains the same irrespective.

As someone else in this thread above highlighted, some of the reasons for failure can be infuriating when they're as simple as someone being to stupid to block, if you then couple that with that same person never learning and even worse seemingly incapable of reading the chat box or hearing a verbal cue if they're smart enough to turn on voice chat it becomes even more difficult to maintain a patient outlook.

Some players in the instances have to start taking responsibility for the reason(s) why these instances end up with people leaving rather than just blaming everything on the people choosing to leave, the person leaving isn't the only one realistically being disruptive, the outright, persistent and unrelenting incompetence of others can be the equally sharp opposing side of that blade, especially when they refuse to communicate in what is effectively a "team based" game with 7 other players they know are not artificial NPC's.

The reality is, those people are making a choice, do they want to spend, what limited time they may have to play the game in a raid that's struggling, possibly for hours or do they leave, queue another and have a shot at better random or just go off and maybe do something else in game. You can't entirely blame them for doing that either sometimes.
    • Like x 4
  17. myandria Item Storage

Whoa!:eek:

In all of my years of online gaming I have NEVER seen an abandon mission lockout that long. Players get pitch forky and torchy if a game has a 5 minute abandon mission penalty these days. A 12 hour lock out is "doin' too much".

As others have said before me, more often than not players will not vote to allow another player to leave; it takes too much "precious time" away from getting their numbers on the leaderboard, in my opinion.

Perhaps the devs could consider adding a "leave the mission anyway" choice that only the player who wants to leave can see when the vote to allow that player to leave fails; afterward, add a "successfully left the mission with no deserter penalty" pop up box could appear after that player left the mission. That way, a player who truly needs to leave does not need to rely on a successful vote in order to leave without a deserter penalty.

The only other way I can think of to "nudge" players away from leaving an instance mid-way is to lock out a specific raid(s) from being replayed (with or without replay badges) for a certain amount of time. There are some games that have this in place; for example, if you complete or leave a raid you cannot replay it again until a couple of hours have passed. This idea would not work well here, though, because it is not blind queue friendly AND the the loss of revenue from less replay badges being purchased.
    • Like x 1
  18. ¬Eternal Level 30

You lost me when you said you can't remember the last time you disconnected.. Do you even actually play this game at all? I crash all the time.. Mainly by warping to my base or warping to certain zones like the phoenix cannon for example I can guarantee you 65% that you have disconnected in this raid more than once.

Also on PS4 something new has occurred more and more for me with my game crashing and receiving a error saying the game data is corrupt and needs reinstalling... Even after a fresh install this problem still exists..
    • Like x 4
  19. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

Haha it'd be funny if during a Raid you disconnect and then log in only to get a 12 hour ban, that'd be hilarious
  20. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2