The Curious Case of Being Too Successful with the Wrong People.. Green Lantern The Animated Series

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by SigmaAtom, Dec 30, 2018.

1. SigmaAtom Committed Player

From my blog, just wanted to share it here too.. MUST WATCH for all GL fans!:

Hi WWW

The Green Lantern Animated Series is the stuff of legend, an enthralling emotive VA cast, writing that has you balance in the edge of both your seat and the head of a pin, great production throughout, great pace, and artwork, that after watching 30 second of the first show, you could never imagine the series any other way.

It was cancelled after 1 season of 25* episodes.

Why?

Because it seems it was TOO popular with the wrong audience; adults.
    Adults weren't going to go out and buy the toys.
    Adults weren't going to engage in ways these companies were used to, as they had been with children.
    Adults were and are a smaller audience, as they may be abashed to share the series with friends due to.. it being 'cartoon' in nature. ... Well perhaps back then, now adults care a little less, although I did get a weird look from a friend for admitting I really liked MegaMind.

Rating for adults were through the roof, iirc* 80% of the viewership was adults, not just that, they tuned in and DVR'd it, a strong & loyal fanbase.. the viewership was not slight either, Cartoon Network doesn't release figures often, but this time they were so sad about the cancellation they did..

In the demographic of 20 to 40 yo's, they had a hit show!

But as mentioned.. those people don't buy the toys.

I think so very fondly of dear Aya, of Razor and Hal.. like I was a part of that crew. So true to canon it puts other writing of GL's to shame. It was and is a masterpiece in storytelling.

Fond farewell dear, dear friends.

Now I'll go and watch the series for the 5th time on iTunes :)

Dava

*which I in my heart always cut up into two series, from the point Guy joins.
    *from a documentary on the toy industry.
    • Like x 2
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Between the GL animated series, Young Justice, the Thundercats reboot and Sym-Bionic Titan, CN had a group of really solid shows running all at one time. Their decisions to keep shuffling the air times of at least two of them didn't help matters at all, by any means.

As for the GL animated series, what did they expect? Most of the promo work done to hype up the DC Nation block was NOT aimed at a younger demographic, nor were all the shorts thrown in between the shows in the block. With that kind of ad campaign they were bound to get an older audience no matter what.

And don't get me started on all the stupid "not buying the toys" business that went with Young Justice. :rolleyes: Mattel's distribution of toys that aren't Barbie or Hot Wheels tends to be hit and miss, and most of the toys in the Young Justice line were barely a step above Happy Meal toys (especially when compared to some of the offerings from Hasbro/Marvel at the time). A good selection and decent product quality will go a long ways towards getting toys to sell to both kids and adult collectors.
    • Like x 2
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Who the flont says that adults don't buy toys? Or worse, that they can't watch cartoons? :eek:

Most adults use to be kids at one time, kids who grew up watching cartoons and read comics many cartoons were based on, now they have an income is the time they will be going out and buying up all those toys they couldn't beg or steal 'back in the day'

Kids don't buy toys, they never did, it was their parents (or that creepy guy hanging around outside "Toys 'R' Us") who were forced to buy them
    • Like x 1
  4. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Business Translator Version 454.54...

"Adults don't buy cheap, non detailed toys which can easily be broken and blamed on the end user."
    • Like x 2
  5. Swamarian Committed Player

There's also the small matter of CN executives hating DC (even though they're both owned by Warner Brothers). Random preemptions and moving shows around didn't help things.
    • Like x 1
  6. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Bit of grave robbing but for good reason..

Razer and Kilowog are reunited in Young Justice (Phantoms) Series 4 Episode 19.
    Won't spoil it.. but some feelz going on right here (just finishing watching it)
    • Like x 1
  7. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I love Barbie :)
  8. Controller Devoted Player

All this thread does is further my sadness and disgust at WB / DC for the TREASURES they're sleeping on....

I mean - we "HAD" a Green Lantern MOVIE scheduled at one time....

[IMG]

Mr. David Zaslav is NOT finished cleaning house, I hope.....

I can hear the "Big Wigs" giving me EXCUSES now...

"But but....Green Lanterns are such a SMALL MARKET....they won't do well on the Big Screen"....

Me: Looking at Marvel's Black Panther movie..................................................

Just utterly disgusted so far....a few small blips on my horizon with Zach Snyder's stuff and a few others but seriously compared to Marvel we're losing big time.
    • Like x 1
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Been seeing some of the clips showing up in my YouTube visits. Nice nod to the series to not only have them show up but also use the original voice actors. Never thought we'd see those two series get tied in together like that.
    • Like x 1
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

She's got more competition these days, but she's still holding strong in the toy aisles. Working in that particular section in retail could be a little hazardous, though, especially if the store in question used pink backing paper behind the product. Stare at that shade of pink for too long and then look away? The eyes could hurt. LOL
    • Like x 1
  11. Controller Devoted Player

I mean....DC UNIVERSE ONLINE has MORE Lanterns of NUMEROUS COLORS than WB DC Cinematic Universe..............

[IMG]