So Charon left DI too...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Eve, Jun 4, 2022.

1. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I give Mepps a hard time, but he has to have one of the toughest jobs involved with DCUO. When things go right, everyone praises the Devs. When things go wrong, it's dump on Mepps time. He has to walk that fine line everyday.
    • Like x 6
  2. Dene Devoted Player

Good luck.. I have always avoided Elite, just not my thing, and now i feel the game no longer looks at the journey, just the destination. With a video game there needs to be that Journey, that immersion.. not just "Hey replay this then dive in to the deep end" - the 2% love it but the rest are standing there like "whhaa...?"
    • Like x 5
  3. Proxystar #Perception

It's that age old issue right, you can make tetris challenging by making it super fast with everything overlapping as well, but it doesn't actually make it a good experience ;)
    • Like x 7
  4. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Analogy of the day
    • Like x 3
  5. Hraesvelg Always Right

I like to joke around with Mepps, too, just because I know the job has to be trying at times...

• Like x 3
  6. Batman Beyond Well-Known Player

It’s normal for employees to occasionally leave a company one by one every so often when new promotions or opportunities become available or if they need change after the burn out of many years doing the same thing. This however doesn’t really appear that way. Normally you only see a lot of employees all leave around the same time when management or working conditions drive them all to do so. People rarely leave jobs they love and are happy at or projects they are passionate about. Seems almost coincidental how they got bought by a new company and suddenly the staff starts to leave like dominos. Definitely sends a signal to people paying to play the game that it could go the way of the Titanic especially when you see other projects getting canceled.

Then you have the “Now Hiring” posts which want years of experience and knowledge of working with old coding. New Devs probably aren’t being taught in school how to work on technology 11+ years old, and don’t have much experience yet to really be qualified. Older Devs who are actually familiar with it and have kept up are likely over qualified and probably looking to do bigger projects or have already moved onto newer and more rewarding endeavors which also leaves less experienced devs around to train new hires.

Wishing Charon and everyone else who left the best, and hope it’s always due to brighter opportunities ahead. It also makes you really appreciate those who have stuck it out and continue to stick it out like Mepps and the remaining Devs we still have as we would be in really bad shape without them.
  7. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

The fine line that has to be walked here is, acknowledging the reality of the situation, but taking into account MMO players in general, and DCUO players in particular love going Chicken Little when there's bad news.

I've gone through a bunch of these exoduses over the years, in this game and in others. Granted, none of them were in a game this old, so that's unique. I am optimistic though, the game is seemingly still making money, and if they can get the staffing, there's no reason that should change. Who knows, perhaps a big injection of fresh blood is what the game needs.
    • Like x 5
  8. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

I'm hoping this is not one of those moments where the game silently shuts down since we didn't expect the Departure of Charon but it happened anyway, it leaves me to be curious if any more Developers we appreciate will silently just leave.
    • Like x 1
  9. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Some similarities between these events and Crystal Dynamics/Squeenix. These departures all echo what just happened with CD over the last sevearl months with Marvel's Avengers.

So i've been out of the DCUO loop enough to have to ask - was DI leading development on DCUO? (Never saw their logo in-game and have only seen the DBG logo).
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Dimensional Ink is Daybreak's Austin studio rebranded. All of Daybreak's studios went independent.
    • Like x 1
  11. Hraesvelg Always Right

Dimensional Ink is the name of the Austin studio division of Daybreak, so, yeah. DCUO is their baby.

https://www.dimensionalink.com/news...uces-three-new-franchise-studios-january-2020
    • Like x 1
  12. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

A couple of things have me concerned, the silence is deafening. Until this morning, it had been 5 days since a developer post in these forums. A major event like this surely called for an "All is well, remain calm" post. But not only did not get that, the one post we did get was from a developer who hasn't posted anything else in 2 months. I understand there's probably a weird mood in the offices right now, but they also know how we like to go Chicken Little.
    • Like x 3
  13. Eve YouTuber

Yeah, this is very concerning. I do see Red Five online in the DCUO discord server but obviously he doesn't talk or anything, and I haven't seen Mepps since Friday. I just hope we will get any reassurance anytime soon...
    • Like x 2
  14. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Or maybe the devs remaining are thinking of a decent PR response to the situation, given that even media outlets in the video game industry are starting to write articles about DCUO and reference even this thread.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/dc-universe-online-free-to-play-your-way/marvel-mmo-lead

Last thing the game (and we) need is any or more negative press over the staff situation, so it would be good if Panderus or Mepps respond to some concerns, but also with considerations to the fact that the media is also keeping an eye on the staff situation and what that may or may not mean for DCUO's future.

This thread also needs to be moderated a bit and posts trimmed down to just respectful best wishes for Charon and his future, or player's experiences or memories with Charon or his work.
    • Like x 1
  15. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

Nerd of prey is a huge ww fan, had no idea she had went and snagged a real job! happy for her! when she said she was going to the UK idk why i was getting tomb raider vibes
    • Like x 1
  16. BumblingB I got better.

Mepps is probably on vacation, which is why we got his stand in, Ender1Game, to post the test server hotfixes. It just so happened to land during the last day of Charon's work. Bad timing, but not unheard of. I've taken a vacation when all hells broken loose. Needless to say, I had to play damage control from home. That's when I decided to turn off email notifications.

As it is right now, I'm sure the developers are working. They always go dark after an update or dlc launch. That's why I really liked Charon's communication. He felt like a member of the community, not just Lead Developer and unlike Spytle, he didn't antagonize the community. I just see this as going back to what happened before Charon's activity, during the SJ/Avair time period. Where the only communication we got were from Mepps and test/dev threads.
    • Like x 3
  17. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

It's interesting you point that out, in the past these threads have been deleted.
  18. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

You're probably right. The past 2 1/2 years have made me cynical.
  19. Eve YouTuber

Yeah I get what you are saying. I also felt that because they posted Development update, things are not doom as they still plan to support and work on the game, even if the Devs are changing. Just wanted to be sure that the game isn't going anywhere :p I'll miss Charon. He really helped me with my videos and he was just making everyone happy by communicating and as you said feel like he was apart of the community (but in professional way). I never got to meet Spytle, only talked to him on one of his streams and it was for a hello and bye kind of thing lol
  20. BumblingB I got better.

No, this type of post doesn't get deleted. It's threads that talk about people who were laid off that do. Like during the time SOE was sold to Jason Epstein to make Daybreak Gaming. Or when Daybreak Gaming sold the company to EG7. Having threads discuss and wish good will to people who left on good terms for future endeavors is allowed.

Though, I do agree, there are some posts that need moderating in this thread. A lot of misinformation and insults.
    • Like x 3