Middle of an instance

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SlipperyRichard, Jun 6, 2022.

1. SlipperyRichard Active Player

So I'm making my way through an instance (pick any one you like), having a good time progressing through. It is going well, the dialog is intriguing, The last boss finally falls...

Sorry this thread has encountered an error, click ok to continue.
    ... you click ok and the thread closes.

Oh well, maybe if you start reading it again you'll make it to the end.

It is not fun when the culmination of effort is met with a crash before the end goal is achieved. This is how switch play is (at least it is for me) on DCUO.

Yet, I continue to try.
    • Like x 1
  2. Proxystar #Perception

Don't worry, the PC client crashes all the time as well, so I understand your pain.

There's memory leaks in this game it's like taking a bath in a sieve.

It's getting beyond painful now.

It's even better when it decides to crash just after loading into the seasonal vault, guess im not running that today unless I've got 27 replays.
    • Like x 2
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Maybe if you stop spamming macros… :p
    • Like x 1
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Look, how else is someone supposed to tac swap every 0.025s while maintaining the effects of 23 different artifacts.

Kidding, yea I don't use macros, I know you're joking by the way, but remember there's stupid people on here that will actually believe you and that the cause of game crashes are actually macros

You know the same people that believe the Earth flies around on the back of a giant turtle in constant war with with a spaghetti monster :D
    • Like x 4
  5. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I really wonder why some PC players crash more than others. My wife crashes 2-3 times more often than I do. We both have fresh installs of Windows 10 21H2, DCUO as the only app we run, etc. Her system is custom built, and mine was pre-made, but both have MSI motherboards. She has a 10th generation Intel, I have a 9th generation, and I'm running a Nvidia 2080 super while she's on a Nvidia 3080 OC (replaced a Nvidia 1060 OC two weeks ago). I suspect the biggest difference is our Intel chip and maybe my RAM being a bit newer than hers.
    • Like x 1
  6. SlipperyRichard Active Player

Why is company in misery so comforting? Thank you each.
    • Like x 2
  7. Proxystar #Perception

It's playtype based i.e a memory leak.

The longer you play, the more you do, the more places you visit the quicker you'll blow through the games permissible 3.6GB memory allocation.

If you visit house of legends for example, Atlantis, Thanagar, and as many other open worlds as you can, it's a certainty you'll crash, your system won't matter.

If you want to test it, click start, open your resource monitor, click on the memory tab and keep visiting worlds and watch your memory allocation climb, while not being cleared out.

Once it exceeds 3,600,000 (3 6GB) going to one more world or interacting with an NPC will crash your game to desktop.

DCUO is 32bit software so cannot exceed this memory allocation size and when there's no more accessible it crashes to desktop.

Therefore increasing your RAM, increasing your paging file, changing anything will not change this.

Peoples PCs aren't broken, this game is broken.
    • Like x 1
  8. Proxystar #Perception

You're welcome. Honestly its sad to see the stability complaints on switch its a new system and assuming a native client, who knows what the deal is with it, but from a customer perspective it's definitely not cool. Hang in there is all I can say.
  9. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Oh, it's definitely client side. You and I have had that conversation. It's just interesting because my wife and I play the game together 95% of the time we're online. She's not going anywhere different from me for the majority of her time, and she has avoided the hot spots and still crashed at times after running newer content (raids, alerts, duos, etc.). In spite of us sharing most of the same content, she crashes more often, so there seems to be a hardware/driver/chipset factor to it too. Software was ruled out a long time ago as a factor.

Also, I have had several people tell me that they're running Windows 8.1 and never crash. That again points to some variable beyond just the game's client software. I may try installing Windows 8.1 on her system and seeing if there's any change. I suspect it's not the Windows 8.1 that's the difference but the fact that they have older hardware that may not be utilizing resources in the same way.
    • Like x 1
  10. Proxystar #Perception

Not having bothered to test it myself on a second device, I can't verify, I may actually do that on the weekend just out of curiosity.

I haven't felt the need to do so, because the people I know also suffering crashes are on brand new hardware.
    • Like x 1
  11. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

The PS4 client also crashes with embarrassing frequency, although the problem has improved somewhat over the years. There was a time where the Origin Crisis and WOTL1 4-man operations were pretty much unplayable for me.
    • Like x 3
  12. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

It’s been unbelievably good for me recently and I’m not sure why. US side and on PS4. My pc and ps5 buds crash on occasion, pc seems more often. I run on my gaming rig for test and that has crashed on me quite a few times. Ps5 has the hard crashes. I’ve had one dc in maybe 3 months now? The pc friends seem to have lag issues more than any of us. The ps4 people have that like 1-3sec lag with most ui type stuff. The ps5 people claim that sort of stuff is super fast but then they just dc/ hard crash on occasion. So it seems like all the recent hardware changes at least made ps4 much better. It’s helped me not care about buying a ps5 at all since this is the only game I even really have time to play anymore.

Switch, can’t comment but I feel like it was a pretty terrible idea to get involved with for dcuo. I’m amazed it can even run on it considering the size and everything in the game like broker and styles. Is it actually saved to the device or is it more like a constant downloading type of setup? (Sorry I don’t know the correct terms but basically is it like saved to the console or “streamed”?)
  13. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I’m on PS4, and it has been my experience here recently that I crash when going to the HoL after a raid / alert / duo is over if I use the menu instead of the teleporter in the instance. I don’t know if that is relevant to the discussion but it is what I have noticed. Sorry.
  14. Zneeak Devoted Player

Giant turtle earth, spaghetti monsters.... Whatever you have, please share.
  15. Swamarian Committed Player

(Note: I haven't played in 5 months) I haven't had the game crash hardly at all, even when I was trying to play catch up on feats, and visiting 4-5 open worlds per game. I don't think that I'm running anything special. (Windows 11, upgraded from 10, 16 GB of memory. Relatively slow HD.) I might try hitting a bunch of open worlds, and see what happens.
  16. golddragon71 Dedicated Player

I had that happen the other day on PS4.
    I was playing Wayne Manor gala, my partner and I just finished beating Killer Croc, I talked to Catwoman and when I went down to the sewer entrance the screen went dark, turned blue then came up with the error message.

I shrugged and took the dog for a walk before the thunderstorm started.
  17. Aetrius Well-Known Player

When I play on my desktop, I never crash no matter how long I play. On my laptop it gets laggy after a while, especially if I've run through multiple characters, and I'll have to relog. I've read on here that it's a memory leak and the laptop behavior seems to back that up, but it can't be that simple or I'd have the same kind of effect on my desktop.
    • Like x 1
  18. BumblingB I got better.

YOU MEAN IT'S NOT?!?!

Ugh... Day ruined.
  19. Irvynnge Loyal Player

happens all the time on the PS4. I haven't crashed in a raid or alert for a long long time now, but I expect to crash out while warping or while switching a toon at least once, almost certainly twice, per session of play. it's so regular & guaranteed an occurrence that I don't even bother to get the hump with it anymore.
  20. Toshknight Loyal Player

hmmmm , not as much, as to its hindering me or many others i game with, this game especially doesn't crash more then 1nce a week maybe for me, if i play everyday. i do not like that when we crash, we are booted out of instances, i know sometimes it holds you in, if u get in fast enough, and are in a group, but, yea, the client being it's mainly server side heavy,

meaning , world of Warcraft for instance, is not a server heavy client, all to most of the assets are saved on the local area drive of the user, that's why they can have mods installed, to change UI and other things like that to mod the game how the player sees it.
    The files that DCUO players have, are game files obviously but they are not meant to or cant be medded do to them basically being a big giant roll of keys, that are accessing the DCUO Mainframe servers, while the game loads streamline, its a faster loading system, but at the same time, if you lose a connection for literally 1 second or less, you crash.

that isn't the games doing mainly , that's the user's network, crashing in this game for me is usually connected to server connectivity, the only problem i have with client loads are sometimes you get those errors when you try and load the launcher, and go to just delete a file inside of the directory to reset some info to default.

another thing that has given problems to pc and ps users, sometimes is latency in the servers, if say chat isn't working, actions aren't happening when you press a attack. that's all simply do to traffic,

in all after 11 years, dcuo has never been crash heavy at all. if it is, you have a potato or something isn't right in your windows install. it happens. as far as mmo rpgs go, this one has very little server connectivity issues on the PC/PS side of it at least