So Charon left DI too...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Eve, Jun 4, 2022.

1. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You're blaming things with ZERO knowledge if any of your wild speculation is even remotely true. Your level of reach is astronomically astounding.

Also, I don't know why you're panicking about Elite difficulty...Charon didn't work alone. As far as we know Quixotic is still here.
  2. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

Hope so but we need more peoples for it :)
    • Like x 1
  3. zNot Loyal Player

Isnt that what everyone is doing here? No one here knows stuff we are all assuming not sure if u havent noticed that?

And Quitoxic wont be „controlling“ elite raid difficulty unless hes adjusting it,charon was the lead content designer and was looking after all elite content,when i gave feedback i gave it to him Even if another dev was „adjusting“ it because charon was just as important. But other devs? Not sure on how other devs will do elite raid difficulty without charon checking except quitoxic im very concerned,ideally they should always let Quitoxic adjust the newest Elite raid.
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Look, I'm just going to say something that some of you might find contentious, but there's more to this game than "elite content difficulty", if the community continues to infatuate itself with how hard elite content is (which only appeals to a small minority of players anyway) then it's going to continue to find itself in trouble.

You can make the most difficult content in the world, but if the assets continue to be re-used, open worlds continue to be lacking or recycled, the mechanics all fundamentally the same, chaos through mechanical overlapping, imbalanced casual content in event, weak story lines or the content is too difficult to be considered reasonable for a larger majority of players then struggle street is where this game is destined - when it comes to having limited resources "elite content difficulty" should be the last thing any developer is concerned about.

It seems obvious to me that some elite players forget, at times, what the actual glue is that holds this game together, it's the casual players who want styles, love styles, love logging in and chilling in Bohemia, love the stories, love the immersion. They're the ones that really keep this game afloat through money injections, population injections and making the game feel alive.

If the elite community becomes too narcissistic to see that, then that storm on the horizon only edges closer ;)

**** elite content, this game needs to get back to improving the very basics before it worries about appealing to the top 1% any further or it risks simply dying a slow death in any case.
    • Like x 10
  5. Illumin411 Loyal Player

To make the statement that you made you would have to have access to or knowledge of their financial statements which you would only have via holding a senior executive position with the company, as part of a preferred stockholder agreement or obtaining them illegally aka corporate espionage. Or you’re just talking out your a** with no actual knowledge of their revenue, expenses, EBITA, profit, earnings, etc.
    • Like x 2
  6. Illumin411 Loyal Player

EG7 maintains a controlling interest in Dimensional Ink but Dimensional Ink is still a separate private corporate entity with it’s own revenue, P&L, cashflow, EBITA, etc.
  7. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Yes.... a bunch of people left with Jackster. But hard to tell why exactly at this point.
    Yes we can speculate..... but we don't really know for sure.

Yes EG7 is an inv3stment firm..... but it doesn't matter if they are not a gaming company.... at the end of the day they are still the boss.

They sti;; may want their own team.... people they feel are loyal to THEM.
    You mention how many Devs are over at Jackalope now..... maybe EG7 feels the old Devs' loyalties are with Jackster??? and not with them??? hence them wanting their own team??

I used to work for an Animation Studio that was part of a larger entity that was built around Scientific Research.
    They had nothing to do with Animation..... but still they owned the studio and were still the boss.

Heck Bioware would be another example.
    They started making medical simulation programs.
    Nothing to do with gaming.... but now all people know them for is their games. ;)

For the Marvel MMO..... yes they pulled the plug.
    As mentioned EG7 is an investment firm and they saw the Marvel games lose $200M for Crystal Dynamics and Eidoss.
    They probably saw the Marvel IP as too BIG a risk to invest $50.5M into it??

Or could it be that when Jackster left he brought not only a bunch of Devs but also the Marvel game with him??

Too early too tell.
    We do not really know what happened.
    Right now all we can really do again is speculate. ;)
    • Like x 3
  8. zNot Loyal Player

I definetly agree with you the basics need to be improved and elite is just a „bonus“ compared to other stuff.

But Keep in mind the next episode will be released in a long time so lack of ressources shouldnt be a issue (i hope) and if so they should remove elite duo/alert,if they wanna be less „1%“ focused.

i know that these staff changes will bring other big issues too and that elite difficulty topic is not the only possible upcoming disaster but i feel like for the first time in years we had a episode that had the perfect difficulty for all elite content the duo,alert,raid were all great and to do that you need many episodes of experience which charon gathered and applied to his team over the years all that progress is now almost gone the new devs will not be able to know what charon knew also t lantern left so we will have new devs adjusting the difficulty who have never done it before for dcuo if they wanna avoid a big lssue they should let the most experienced dev like quitoxic do the elite raid adjusting.
  9. Illumin411 Loyal Player

There are a myriad of reasons companies are acquired. It’s not uncommon for a company to acquire another primarily for the value of the IP and/or established brand recognition and customer base loyalty or other aspects completely separate from the personnel. In those cases it often is the intention to install their own leadership, teams, etc which of course would mean massive turnover. But even in those cases, the intention would be to have as smooth a transition as possible with as little operational and productivity disruption as possible. Sudden departures leaving multiple senior leadership positions unfilled is pretty much the opposite of that. If a high turnover rate was planned or anticipated, my educated guess is that it wasn’t supposed to happen like this. :-/
    • Like x 2
  10. Wallachia Devoted Player

If this is true (not calling you a liar, just taking the info with a grain of salt), then my experience with gaming companies helps me figue out what happened:

1. There was an internal fall-out within DI.
    2. Jack found out something dirty inside the company and probably got told to shush or something unfair was done/said to him.
    3. Jack decided to split and found Jackalope.
    4. Other employees, who found out the same as Jack did, decided to leave unsuspectedly, by going one after the other.

Basically, they found out something bad and decided to defect by doing an indirect mutiny and silently leave. Expect more people leaving DI soon.

(Will Mepps leave too?).
  11. Proxystar #Perception

No, see this is your problem zNot you're obsessed with raiding that everything else doesn't matter, for you, everything else is on the chopping block and that's part of the problem I was highlighting, the obsession with elite raiding in general is part of the problem.

Parts of the community have become obsessed with it, that the other parts of the game that glue the entire experience together are being forgotten.

It took ages to get elite alerts back, the elite duos (despite this most recent one suffering from overlaps at Brimstone) are a good addition, because whether you want to accept it or not there's people out there that love small content as much as you love large raid content and they deserve to have focus on their content as well.

The open worlds cannot be sacrificed like you've suggested in the past either, because they're a huge part of the day to day immersion in the players experience, part of the reason why this current DLC is suffering is because of the immediate reuse of the open world and the negative impact this is having on how fresh the content feels day to day for the average player. You cannot keep recycling open worlds, neglecting them because you think your focus is on raids.

Content investment needs to be balanced, it needs to be fresh, what we don't need to be worrying about at all, is elite+ content for a starter, it isn't small elite content that should be on the chopping block elite+ should be for starters because its a gross waste of time and resources, better spent worrying about other aspects.

A more regular occurence of survival mode for example would be better than any focus put in to ongoing elite+
    • Like x 5
  12. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I forgot that you could also have had access to their financial statements via agreed upon business dealings with the company for which access to said statements was necessary. But in that case, you would most certainly be bound by an NDA from making any public statements regarding their financials which your statement would have legally violated.
    • Like x 1
  13. Proxystar #Perception

LOL Illumin, I think we all know he's talking out his *** :D :D
    • Like x 1
  14. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Why has this thread derailed into conspiracy theories and off topic discussion regarding content?

The one thing I think most can agree on is that we will all miss Charon's presence and influence in the game, through the content and his interactions with us the community on the forums.

If its not a well-wishing post or a positive experience you had or remember with Charon through the game then please take it to another thread.
    • Like x 5
  15. Eve YouTuber

What the heck am I reading here?o_O
    Honestly I was thinking about it today and unless Mepps says otherwise on Monday, we really can't panic like that. I am sad Charon left like everyone else here, but I don't think it helps bringing up some mad ideas about whatever going on in the company. If anything, as much as I am not certain for DCUO's fate right now, It's also not the end yet. So I'd wait for Mepps to comment on Monday (If he does) and get the full picture here. The thread is likely to get locked anyway. I think It's okay to be worried, just don't lose your minds people (And please respect each other....)
    • Like x 3
  16. Illumin411 Loyal Player

That’s certainly what the smart money is on. But I do try my best to avoid absolute assumptions and at least give people a morsel of the benefit of the doubt. :D
    • Like x 2
  17. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

When they drop the announcement for the next content/StU for the next four months, my only takeaway from it was on the bottom of the page where they said they were hiring. I mean, I get that companies need the hire for people but not on an announcement post.
    • Like x 3
  18. Illumin411 Loyal Player

In a perfect world you’d be absolutely 100% spot on correctamundo. But in reality it’s human nature to fear the unknown and address said fear by filling the void of information with speculation. Accepting that as a consistent given, it’s always in a companies own best interest to anticipate and proactively manage public optics. If an established successful restaurant that is always open 9-10 seven days a week suddenly has locked doors, lights turned off and no people visually present at 3PM on a Tuesday, they’d be smart to put a sign on the door and on their website saying something like “we’re so sorry but due to X reason(s) (neighboring plumbing leak, ebola outbreak, covid, zombie rats, whatever) we’ll be closed indefinitely. But don’t worry, we’ll open our doors back up as soon as possible and continue serving you the delicious whatevers with a side of smiles you’ve come to love at our long time neighborhood family dining establishment. See you soon!!” If they neglect to do something like that, it’s a near certainty that a solid chunk of their customers will erroneously assume they went out of business despite having little to no factual information supporting that assumption. People be peopling yo!

Yes, in reality we have absolutely NO idea what’s actually going on and ideally shouldn’t act as if we do. But it doesn’t take much empathy and perspective to anticipate how all this would look to a community of gamers stricken with typical fear based assumptive human behavior combined with a long and established history of pitchfork Chicken Little-ing. As a company, ya gotta at least try and manage your optics. Ya just gotta..
    • Like x 3
  19. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Well, when all of the standard methods have been exhausted, what do they have to lose by announcing it there???

Anywho, on the actual subject of this post: Charon, your contributions were many, and will leave a lasting impression with me. It sucks for us that you'll no long be here, but I wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors. Thanks for everything.
    • Like x 5
  20. zNot Loyal Player

Did someone step on ur toe today or why are you extra salty today?