Give a troll a chance.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Pale Rage, May 28, 2022.

1. Achikah All About That Base

Agreed. My leaguemates and I do Troll runs constantly in the new elite Duo: Troll/Heal, Troll/DPS, and Troll/Tank as pairs. Even did a Troll/Troll once, haha! Key is having the right rotation to benefit you and your partner, and also hybrid role playing is super useful.

I also recall my hybrid troll soloing all 3 bosses in last DLC's elite duo for a very low level DPS. I was thinking of leaving, because he was really low (lowest you could be while in there) and well, I was on my Hybrid Battle/Buff Troll, so I was even doubtful. However, when I checked the scoreboard there were 8-10 people who had left with 0s across the board and didn't even giving them a chance. Ya, he was under geared and inexperienced, and ya we were in there for 20 mins, but we made it through! (still dunno how I got past 1st boss without a lunge though, haha!) I think I even still have the video saved of it somewhere.

Anyway, moral to all this, trolls can be mighty in a duo, and I can attest that my smoothest run through the new elite Apokolips one was with a Hybrid Tank and my Hybrid Troll at almost 8 min even. All about the players in Duos, not the role.
  2. Jcal Dedicated Player

"Cheddar/Buckaroos/Mula is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural" - Mepps, probably
  3. nawanda Loyal Player

I agree with you also. But the devs relegated the control role in 2017 and wilfully ignored thread after thread of feedback. I have to be honest I run a buff troll and don’t even have to look at the power bars any more. You’re just there as a troll to make the DPS hit harder, apply debuffs and do pick ups. Meanwhile elite level tanking is so difficult that precious few players can do it. And we were told that the revamp would be the end of excessive one shots.

The game is developed on a shoestring budget by a small, but dedicated team. I doubt they would even have the resources to redevelop the control role, they don’t have the resources to develop new powers or fix PvP .

I remember when DWFe first came out, how stressful it was to keep myself and the group powered during last boss. Amazing times.
  4. Controller Devoted Player

Thanks for reply.

Here's hoping that this changes - as in redeveloping the Controller Role - especially with the cancellation of the Marvel MMO.

Here's hoping that a portion of those resources goes towards meaningful ideas to make the Controller role more than just a Dps pet.
    • Like x 1
  5. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

if you know how to "battle troll" you can put up an impressive dps output while buffing and debuffing.
  6. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I think we got qued up together in the duo lol. I was in my troll and we did just fine xD

Yesterday I went in and a player left cause I wouldn’t go dps so I reopened and another troll came in. We did the elite duo just fine. I could’ve went dps but at that point it was about the principals!!
    • Like x 1
  7. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

To be honest a lot of people (even here on the forums) don’t know how debuffs and buffs work. For example what kind of buff you get for being in dps role and how much the defense debuff adds to the damage. And how 2 dps vs 1 dps and 1 dps in troll role stack up in overall dps. These same people also complain that the troll role is useless or “lost their ways”.

At this point I pretty much run everything on my HL as a dps in troll role.

A wise man once said. “The gap between those that know and those that don’t know” or something along those lines.
    • Like x 1
  8. nawanda Loyal Player

Are you advocating battle trolling in endgame elite raids? I don’t think it’s feasible to put out impressive damage whilst also buffing and adequately powering the group in that content. The overall DPS loss and power output loss would be too great to justify it. I do battle troll the elite alert, but that’s different for a few reasons.
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I have run (and completed) the duo with a troll before. Not sure if I was just feeling charitable or didn't think about how long it was going to take with me as heal and him as troll....but it DID take a long time While many don't like a troll in an alert, most realize it DOES help and won't call for a boot (but might call for them to switch...that happens for sure). In duos though....not nearly as much IMHO.

It's not that people don't think a troll can get it done...it's just how long will it take? Realistically, very few will make it through Brimstone without a tank OR heal in the group, so that fight at least will be double role...which is very slow and tedious, and it also assumes that troll is DOING all those things you mention above. I've been in non elite duos with trolls (I can solo most, so not a huge deal if they want to 'troll') who don't really stun adds well, and who don't have those debuffs up constantly like they should.

Sorry, but as it is a pretty known problem people don't really like running with a troll in a duo (especially Elite) that 'only role' playing troll might want to look at a 2nd armory(you can get a full set of drop gear pretty quick running current dailies, and augment food drops pretty plentifully...so weak excuse to say can't 'gear properly', save artis) for DPS gear, or tweaking themselves a bit to put out a bit more burn...maybe not full 'battle' build, but something. Just like they don't HAVE to switch or do those things...no one HAS to stay in the group with them either...choice cuts both ways.

But your PSA has some merit. I'd guess many people have not stayed in an E run of a duo with a troll to even find out how it would go.
    • Like x 1
  10. spikeat Well-Known Player

I've ran with every role in the elite duo and 2 dps are by far my favorite. I know I can solo the first boss on my own so I always charge into the duo without inspecting the other player and just disregard their role. But it's rare that I queue in and find a troll since that has only happened to me once. The troll kept the adds busy on 2nd and 3rd boss while I took care of the boss. My burn is fairly good so the troll just had to hang in there a little bit.
  11. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

personally i don't like battle trolling. feels awkward to me.
  12. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Yep, it was with my battle healer, and I'm pretty sure we breezed through it like a cake walk lol.
  13. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

Don't forget the almighty Decoy.

everytime there's a patchnote that says '[enemy name] now respects the holographic decoy' I get a coy smirk on my face
    • Like x 2
  14. ArtemisWonderWoman7 Well-Known Player

Sorry I will not run the rtae with a troll! one I don't need 1 and to unless your a damage troll I know I won't waist my time. Elite alert has a use. Role less buffs happen in both 2 and 4 player reg alerts. and sadly the troll roll less buff is all any decent dps needs. But hey do you q into a 2 player as a controller but don't get mad if I disagree and choose to leave. You wanna control a 2 player that up to you. Currenty I am running 12 characters a week and 3 daily so I want every run to be fast
  15. Drathmor Unwavering Player

yep same for me when I'm trolling just a DPS in disguise in troll roll to get that claw buff
  16. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

yep and this is what the problem with the troll roll is
  17. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

You see a troll and leave just shows you don’t actually know how trolls work. It’s about base numbers and how buffs work. In a duo having a dps in troll role is more beneficial than a pure dps if that player running as a troll knows what they are doing. Look at the duo we have now. It can be completed just fine without a healer or tank.

So let’s say for the sake of facts that we have 2 dps vs 1 dps and 1 dps as a troll role. The 2 dps will mathematically have slower burn. Yes one of the dps will loose the buff from being in dps role. However the defense debuff that gets applied will cause both players to deal more damage which would make up for and even pass the damage from the 2 dps.

Same goes for alerts. But hey. You do you and leave. I’d rather run with someone who knows how base numbers work anyways lol
    • Like x 1