Rewarding the Clamping

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ergotth, May 24, 2022.

1. Ergotth Committed Player

Another thread to discuss Clamping, oh gee-oh-joy!
    Personaly, I like it. But a lot don't! So why not make it MORE rewarding? Here's the idea, and to any Wakfu players, it's pretty much copying their "ranked dungeons" system:

When doing content from below your tier, causing you to get the Clamp, the rewards (perhaps Source Marks) could have a multiplier based on your original clamping. The higher your tier and the lower the content, the more marks you get.

Also, why not create a sort of "competition", where the teams that achieved the best time, damage and heals are ranked weekly or monthly and receive a mail reward for putting top marks on their respective mission.
    • Like x 1
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Omnibus already rewards more Source Marks than end game content. I personally don't want to run clamped content for a few reasons, rewards isn't one of those reasons.
    • Like x 1
  3. Trexlight Devoted Player

The reward isnt the problem. More Source Marks isnt going to get those who dont like it to still run it. Those who dont like it want to have their full stats AND still get all the reward. That itself, wont happen.

The Competition wont work either due to Artifacts, somewhat Allies, and especially Skill Points. Due to Arts and Allies on the MP, any competition that comes in will heavily favor those who dropped 200 bucks to get a Rank 200 Art or got themselves their Rank 10 Ally. Skill Points is also a huge variable too. The closest competition we get is Survival Mode and even the BS we saw from the last one, if theirs a "cheat", there's a way which eliminates the competition mood.

WoW's Mythic system has that idea of competition but, as funny as it is, WoW is more balanced than DCUO in terms of fairness amongst its class types and where stats come in.
    • Like x 2
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Just sounds like something that would end up with players gaming the system instead of playing the game. Top tier players would stick only to T1 content to maximize the rewards. And players get hypercompetitive over the scoreboard already, I really wouldn't want to see that mentality catered to because it'd be just as likely to make the toxic aspects of that gameplay style worse. So to quote a noted doctor....

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  5. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Isn't FOS2 already the go-to for spamming for source marks? So, what, it should give 50 a run???? noooooo
    • Like x 1
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

FoS 3 and Doomsday.
    • Like x 2
  7. thedemonocus Loyal Player

I hate the clamp so i just don't play any of the clamped content anymore. Now i just log in run my dailies and log out.
    • Like x 6
  8. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

I think it could be cool if they made clamping an option. What I have in mind is basically:

When queueing an instance or omni, you can select clamped, unclamped, or just select both (similar to how you can queue as one role or as multiple roles) and those are the instances the game will offer you. That way, people who want to actually run something without way higher players just bulldozing through it can do so, people who want to just quickly bulldoze through it for a drop or briefing/investigation or something can do so, and people who don't really care either way and just want to run something can do that.
    • Like x 2
  9. Ergotth Committed Player

Well as I mentioned in Wakfu, their "clamped competitive" works for years. And yes, the game also have elitists way of making yourself stronger even when clamped, a system almost identical to SPs, another almost identical, if not even MORE broken of Artifacts and classes that allow more skills than just 5, may I add, and yet, I still see players flocking to do it, sometimes not even to reach top score, just to get the monthly reward, as minimal as it can be. and because it's fun to do. After you reach endgame, doing earlier "dungeons" become meaningless since you can't repeat yoiur first-time experience, having to actualy hit the enemies more than ONCE to kill them, having to dodge hazards instead of brushing it off, and I'm sorry, but thats why I like the Clamp. It makes all the runs feel just as fun because I can't one-shot Black adam in Khandaq. Even though the Clamp still make us waaaaay stronger than originaly.
  10. Trexlight Devoted Player

Their community and ours is different. Its a theory to certainly try but we have that theory put into practice, we have Survival Mode and its successful to a point but not a complete winner. The new Elite+ is another test to that theory. Your suggestion brings it to Clamped content which isnt a bad idea but atm I personally dont see it working due to Clamping not enjoyed by folks (at least those on the forums lol) and the other examples we have for such a system.

I certainly am Pro-Clamping but the system is there to get Source Marks, level alts, and get feats. A competition for more rewards isnt a system thats needed where those resources can go to other things.
  11. Ergotth Committed Player

I think the problem with Survival Mode and Elite/Elite+ is that they are 100% endgame and elitists, while introducing a competitive to the clamping would broaden the scope to every single player. You could go ahead and prime yourself to beat the score in the HIVE Duo as well as the Elite+ of the latest episode. You won't need to have the highest CR, only the highest level of skill, be it the SPs or personal skill and knowledge.
  12. Batladin New Player

Same Here.
    • Like x 2
  13. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Mucking up the loot pool w garbo collections is what killed omni for me
    • Like x 2
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Sorry but no thanks. For those the Omni is really supposed to benefit, like new players or players who just missed whole swaths of content, RUNNING the content is supposed to be the primary reward. Adding more source will just end up with more FOS3/HH (pre fix) type runs where people who are NOT those people named above will just spam the target runs, maybe even just a few bosses, and the people the clamp is supposed to help will be left out again.

And really. Don't we get enough source at this point? We need more?
    [IMG]
    BTW....I'd guess that if you jammed 20 marks into DWF, people would still spam FOS3/DD instead...I know I would...if I spammed anything. Some runs are just not worth the effort, marks-shmarks.

And more scoreboard chasing? Awesome!....er...un-awesome I meant. Not to mention, have you heard we have a few speed hackers in this game? Unless this is a way to trap and eliminate them...it's just a reward for those people too.
  15. Hraesvelg Always Right

If DWF had a few hundred marks, I'd certainly get a group of people I know and farm it. I imagine other people would, too. It'd benefit absolutely no one outside those groups, though. Rando PUGing DWF is....eeesh. Anyone with the experience needed to teach/complete it wouldn't set foot in it.
    • Like x 1
  16. BumblingB I got better.

The incentive is no more loot lockouts. Heck, we can get marks from Open World dailies now.

I'm not against a ranking system, maybe have a monthly counter system for league hall statues. Like Most completed omnibus... Of course, they would actually HAVE to fix the statues to actually register correctly.
  17. BumblingB I got better.

What if the reward was only achieved via Omnibus queue then?
  18. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

That was my point. The clamp was supposed to be helping the same people who would be excluded from anything 'difficult' or super rewarding. Not to mention as those groups would be now 'speed' runs (for farming)....if that one guy did accidentally get included, watch the smackdown when he asks "hey....can we do XYZ feat?".

I'm no fan of the clamp, but the little 'good' it does is let people get into old content, maybe some feats, and MAYBE learn something (1 in 100....but 1 is better than 0). Turning more runs into 'spam' runs isn't going to help with that at all.
    • Like x 2
  19. Hraesvelg Always Right

Yup. Just giving more data points to back up your point.

There would be some coding required to either have a substantial queue dodge penalty or disallow DWF from full/near full groups...because depending on the ridiciously outsized reward, it'd be worth it to spend some time Omni queueing into it and dropping it if it wasn't DWF.
    • Like x 1
  20. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

Ditto, except I still run the seasonal as well as end-game stuff (the raid at least, sometimes alert/duo) across my main and alts. Every once in a while, I look at the on-duty menu and remember how good the game once was.

[IMG]
    • Like x 4