"Rainbow Gear" and mixing role with DPS gear

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Eve, May 25, 2022.

1. Eve YouTuber

So.. I was talking to friends about it and unless we miss something- There is no actual point in allowing it. And I think it has more negatives than positives being an option. Because players who don't care to learn will use Controller gear as dps, which will effect their overall stats aswell as damage output. I think something should be placed to prevent gear mixing. Same for augments. Not too sure about artifacts as the whole point is to test and try what works together the best.

But I think the biggest issues lies with the gear itself & augments. Controller augments shouldn't be allowed to mix with Healer augments and vice versa.

Just my two cents on that. I would love to hear what the community thinks cause there is honestly no benefit to it whatsoever other than hurting the player itself and the group the player runs with.
    • Like x 4
  2. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

If they know how to battle role by all means let them
    • Like x 5
  3. Eve YouTuber

I am talking about people who CR skipped and have no idea what they are doing and contribute nothing at all.
    • Like x 2
  4. Henoshock Well-Known Player

I mix and match on my battle supports all the time, it could be nice for new players but I don't think it should be a requirement. EEG gives a lot of bonus stats to you current role regardless, and all the instances can be cleared by players with subpar gear.
    • Like x 7
  5. Proxystar #Perception

Sorry Zoe, but nah don't agree, you can't lock or prevent people from using their gear and mixing with support.

People doing silly things with their stats isn't justification to be punitive towards players that know what they're doing and you can't just limit newbies.
    • Like x 7
  6. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

Just to clarify, you're saying that when someone is in DPS stance, they can ONLY equip DPS gear, augments, etc? Same for controller, healer, tank?

Not a horrible idea, but maybe only limit this based on someone's skill points? What about the vets who like to mix & match gear/augments for battle healing/trolling/tanking, buff trolling, etc..?

Also, I remember when I create new toons, sometimes I'll *fill* the gear slots with off-role just because I don't have anything else to sub in there, and I am waiting on a relevant gear drop for that toon. Helps with CR advancing as well.

I do agree that it's way too often that we see rainbow augments and gear in end-game content, like, how the hell did they get this far? CR skipping can only be blamed up to a certain point lol.

Me, inspecting in end game content:
    [IMG]
    • Like x 4
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Even if you're playing battle support you aren't going to be mixing augments. You're going to be focusing your augments towards one stat because splitting them up is going to hurt you more than help.
    • Like x 1
  8. Eve YouTuber

Honestly just sharing what I think as it is a issue that players misuse their gear, powers, etc. The game doesn't really teach you these basics, so eventually these players are no benefit to other players, which is why they can't run content properly- get stuff done or get into content at all.

Honestly this brings me back to my point from my old thread about making CR Skips relevant to alts. If you didn't get to that combat rating, you shouldn't be able to use the skip. But yeah, some of it is also players being too lazy to learn and improve themselves. But yeah I understand what you guys are saying. Just shared my two cents, cause I honestly avoid running with rainbow people if I really want to get stuff done..UNLESS they are end game and I can see they know what they are doing. (So battle-tanking, battle-healer, battle-troll, etc)
    • Like x 1
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I would just take it a step in another direction and ask why can't there just be one universal set of gear each episode that can be used by any role?
    • Like x 5
  10. Proxystar #Perception

Come on Vir it's cause dominamce augments allow me to "dominate" my enemy, restoration ones restore my dominance, precision ones make my attacks more precise and might ones mean I "might" get better loot.

They're like infinity stones and when I have one of each in my infinty gauntlet, I turn into "Thanus" and unlock the entire universe.
    • Like x 5
  11. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

Yeah, I don't even understand the mindset that someone has when equipping rainbow stuff, maybe they are trying to be well-rounded or something..?

Maybe the devs need to add something relating to this in the tutorial (not sure if it's in there or not), or have a warning when you're equipping something that is off-role.
    • Like x 2
  12. Eve YouTuber

Yeah that would be great. That benefits both role & dps. Would be less work too, and make the grind less tedious. win-win
    • Like x 2
  13. Eve YouTuber

Yeah a warning would be fair. I don't think we have anything that really explains how augments works. Maybe just how to equip them.
  14. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The cost of a piece of equipment would go up, that would negatively affect players that only play one role. That's the only real downside I can think of.
    • Like x 2
  16. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

I was about to say... I DPS with elite controller gear all the time because the only difference between the Controller elite and regular DPS set (not including back because of OP) is 3,743 might... Not enough to worry about. Easily made up for with my Tetra as well.

Edit: This is before I have enough marks to purchase the reg gear for feat, anyway. In which I only do after getting the full Elite gear for discount.
    • Like x 3
  17. Proxystar #Perception

I know what you're saying to be honest, but it's not necessarily true and the only way I'd maybe do it for the sake of entertaining your idea would be perhaps limiting gear until you reach a certain SP level.

I for example have a battle tank build which keeps up relatively well with most DPS and it's nearly full tank gear, so it's not really true that using what you perceive as gear for the wrong role results in a sub optimal performance.

It could be argued also that anything in the hands of the inexperienced will remain sub optimal, so just because you lock the gear doesn't by default mean it'll result in a more optimal performance.

It isn't usually the gear driving the sub optimal performance in relative terms but that players lack of overall experience, bad loadouts, bad placement lack of mechanic knowledge etc. None of which will change through a gear restriction.
    • Like x 1
  18. Proxystar #Perception

Rainbow augments is nonsense and idiotic.

However, mixing augments between support and DPS isn't, it's about stat balance.

Where you've lacked a certain stat elsewhere it's then offset using augments.

If for example I'm battle tanking in tank gear, the precision on the gear is lower, so I put on precision augments, I might even mix this with dominamce depending on what im after, more tank or more DPS.

It's about deciding what stat level you want and working towards that figure as a result, how you get there can differ.
    • Like x 2
  19. Eve YouTuber

That's fair enough, I appreciate that you took the time to explain.
    I hope dcuo can do better in teaching new players how to play then
    • Like x 1
  20. Proxystar #Perception

You can't do this without creating significant balance considerations.

Healer gear has resto etc, controller tank gear dominance, dominance still impacts healing, resto still impacts tanking.

Health increases would impact DPS through tetra and cog.

Universal gear as an idea has merit, but also is fraught with difficulty on many levels.