Marvel Project at Daybreak Games is canceled

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Jcal, May 25, 2022.

1. Jcal Dedicated Player

https://www.enadglobal7.com/press/4C6FC0069880FB42/
    Well then... this certainly explains some things.
  2. DCUO Post Loyal Player

It would be too hopefully with reallocated resources to have the game migrate to better game engine?
    I know highly unlikely only wishful thinking.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  3. Controller Devoted Player

Too bad for Marvel Fanboys (and Girls) I guess but good for DCUO?
    • Like x 1
  4. Tolly Committed Player

• Like x 4
  5. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

great news. hopefully now well get some new powers / animations. tbh mmos take way to long to get enough content, think about how bored we were after that 1-30 and we only had a few on duty missions, it would probably have taken that mmo at least 5 years to get a quarter the missions we have.
    • Like x 1
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

7. Darkwalker Active Player

This is fantastic news!
  8. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Awesome im glad
    • Like x 1
  9. Atrocuis_ Well-Known Player

Good News For DCUO
    • Like x 1
  10. BumblingB I got better.

This is both surprising and not surprising.

Dimensional Ink was the developer of the Marvel MMO and they had recent turnover in Developers. Namely Jackster left and took a few devs with him. Loche being one of them. In case you didn't know, Loche was changed to work on the Marvel MMO and Avair took his place several years ago. There were also a lot of people leaving even before Jackster did.

So... Most likely EG7 saw the void of devs and the state that the M MMO was in and just said, eff it and will probably laterally absorb the devs working on that game into DCUO's development. As of right now, they are still listing the jobs on DInk's careers page, including some for the "unnamed" game. I think this will probably change in the next couple of days.

I think it's good news for DCUO because it can stick to it's development promises (like the big update next year), but I don't know know what's going to happen in the long run.
    • Like x 1
  11. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Was thinking about this a few days ago. If DCUO can't get enough devs and it's their main product, how was the Marvel MMO going to be developed? The game probably got stuck in a development hell due to the lack of staff and was destroyed with Jack leaving the company for his new studio and carrying top tier devs with him.

It is also interesting to note they had over 40 million dollars to spend on the game, so it's not like they were going for a small thing
  12. Eve YouTuber

I am okay with that since it means the DCUO team can do more. They just still need the men power I guess.
    I was never excited about a Marvel MMO anyway.
  13. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Companies announce new products and cancel products all the time. I wouldn’t read anything negative into this announcement. It’s just good business.
  14. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

My big fear when I heard about the Marvel game was that it would be diluting a fan base that would play comics based MMOs. There are already a tremendous number of Marvel fans in DCUO, some that have been here since launch. Losing them to another game, and a Marvel game not picking up DC fans, I thought was bad news for both games.
    • Like x 1
  15. Here2Help Devoted Player

I was never too excited about the project but I was looking forward to potentially bumping into some old friends and league members from DCUO. Now that it can't happen, I might just end up giving DCUO another go on a fresh account when the PS5 update drops.
    • Like x 1
  16. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I wonder who took over after Avair left in 2020?
  17. BumblingB I got better.

That would be Charon. ;)
    • Like x 1
  18. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

No I mean the Marvel MMO
  19. BumblingB I got better.

Oh, no, Loche was still on the Marvel MMO. Avair fully left DInk during that time. To my knowledge anyways. I was saying that Avair replaced Loche on DCUO.
  20. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Oh ok. I know Avair is working for Zynga, has been since December 2020/January 2021.
    • Like x 1