Will DCUO come to mobile phone/cell phone?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by STsource, Sep 27, 2019.

1. STsource Well-Known Player

Since dcuo is available on all platforms but mobile maybe they could release it on there?

I like the idea of playing it anywhere i go
  2. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The biggest obstacle for something like this is a standardized controller set up as well as standard mobile hardware. Just doesn't sound feasible.
    • Like x 1
  3. STsource Well-Known Player

Agreed, but there are many controllers that can be used for mobile phones. It's just an idea anyway in a huge market/
  4. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Eh the Switch is running a tegra X1 chip. I'd say mobile phones can run it now but it would like cause it to over heat and drain your battery rapidly so their is no point.
  5. Hmmmm Well-Known Player

That's true, but it's running a custom setup and os.

But to the op, you can do exactly what you want on the switch. I play on the commute to work all the time.
    • Like x 1
  6. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

It's a lot easier to build something for a standard hardware as opposed to the various hardware varieties that you would have to deal with mobile.
    • Like x 2
  7. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

this sounds like a job for raspberry pi....
  8. Dene Devoted Player

why would anyone play on a phone ?

My eyes hurt just thinking about it - UNLESS we are discussing limited things like broker, styles, mail & bank etc
    • Like x 3
  9. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The Nintendo switch has a 6.2" screen (diagonally), and people find it playable. Hell, my phone has a 7.2" screen (if you ignore the tear drop notch).

The real issue with DCUO on mobile is the large variety of hardware (and in some cases software/operating system versions) that makes making a version that works on all these different phone a serious nightmare that likely wouldn't be worth the trouble. This whole thing is just a pipe dream.
    • Like x 1
  10. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

You literally can play wherever you go with the Nintendo Switch. As long as you have a good Wifi, you're set. However, I'd still argue that the screen on the Switch is still a bit small to play this game comfortably. The text for certain parts of the game is just too small. (item descriptions, etc.)
    • Like x 1
  11. toddslagowski06 New Player

I truly don't think that is such a great issue. I think their developers aren't that stupid, and they understand that nowadays, technologies allow you to optimize basically everything for modern smartphones.
  12. toddslagowski06 New Player

But ok, I'm talking about the high-end smartphones, the ones that truly have great specs, like the iPhones and the Samsung Galaxy series S and Ultra. I mean, people are able to use temporary phone number australia on their phones nowadays, and you're telling me it's impossible to bring a game to a phone? Seriously?
  13. StealthBlue Loyal Player

While not exactly what the op is looking for, there are ways to stream gameplay to your phone. For example, if you pay on Playstation, there is a remote play app that allows you to log into the console and play while you are away. Onscreen controls are a bit crowded though, and some phones might not be able to support the number of simultaneous touches required for game play. You can pair a PlayStation controller with your phone over Bluetooth though (I've done this previously).

I think I've seen talk of something similar that PC players could take advantage of, though I'm not sure about Xbox. As mentioned with the switch it isn't really needed, just tether it to your phone for a data connection.
  14. Batman Beyond Well-Known Player

I’ve been playing DCUO on my phone (and also Vita) for years via Remote Play. I’ll be at work which is about an hour away from my PlayStation back at home and will be able to turn on my system while at work and can play DCUO during my lunch break. There’s also a couple of different controller options. Personal favorites are ones that plug in via the charging port that basically turns your phone into a Switch, the other is a Bluetooth controller with a phone mount on top of it or you could use a Vita with the L2 R2 back button attachment. I’d actually gotten several coworkers to come to the game by them seeing me play this game via Remote Play at work lol.

It’s also been useful at home. My fiancée will log into her account on the TV to the first Playstation. I’ll log into my account on the phone via the second Playstation, and my brother when we do game nights will log into his account via gaming laptop PC. It’s been very useful. I especially enjoy it as I’ve always enjoyed handheld game devices and can get it closer to my eyes so I can read easier. Definitely worth checking out if you have a PS4/5, a phone or Vita, and a decent internet connection.
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I'd think they learned their lesson from the dismal turnout on Switch and mediocre Xbox community numbers. It's an 11 year old game, they aren't going to kick butt on any 'new' platforms and only so many people will switch off their existing platform other than a neat distraction.

Maybe if there was a complete client overhaul...maybe, but as is just ported over....doubtful.
  16. BumblingB I got better.

The biggest issue is the controls being converted to touch screen. It would require an overhaul on the UI to introduce touch screen capabilities. It could run it, but expect your battery to die faster than an undergeared player in CR Differential days.

I play on the switch lite. The screen is small, but I'm comfortable with it. The only reason why I had to stop being fully active (I login for the rewards.) is my hand can't use the controls on a controller well and the population isn't the same as the PC/PS server is. Where when I play, I can't just pick up the game and play, I have to wait for extreme queues or just go solo.
  17. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I lag bad enough on PS4 with a wired connection. I shudder to think of the experience on mobile.
  18. PickArole Well-Known Player

If you have a Playstation, they have remote play that works great on my galaxy. It also supports both ps4 and 5 controllers.
  19. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

1) The screen on the newer OLED Switch is larger, IF you can manage to actually get your hands on one. You can find side-by-side comparison videos on YouTube where you can easily see the differences between the 2 models.

2) The Original Switch and the OLED Switch have the Docking Stand that lets you connect it to a TV or external monitor so you can play on a larger screen. Amazon and other retailers have all kinds of portable flat panel monitors and TVs that would be ideal for that purpose.
  20. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

1) Buy a Nintendo Switch. I'd recommend the newest model, the OLED Switch, IF you can actually get your hands on one! That will give you the best screen experience.

2) OR you can buy a Steam Deck to play the PC version on the go, but there ARE some issues that come from running the game through Steam, rather than just directly downloading it to your computer and using the standalone DCUO Launcher.

3) OR you could just buy an ultraportable gaming laptop to play it on! If you look at all the options that are on the market, you might even find one with a built-in 4G LTE, or maybe even 5G, modem built-in for a direct connection to the Interwebz! :D

Bottom line, there's already SEVERAL options for playing this game on hardware that's more mobile. Pick one. :p;)