New DLC is great for dividing the community...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Tolly, May 17, 2022.

1. Tolly Committed Player

I would like to understand the purpose of the difficulty since the last 2 DLCs, because apparently now it's supposed to be the strong players with the strong players, but shouldn't the little ones just learn from the big ones?

I have about 500 sp and artifact almost full and yet they ignore me when I propose myself for the elite raid, while I know well the different strat of the bosses, the one that can be avoided and the one that must be blocked.

The funniest part of all this is that players who have their 600 or 700sp pride and full artifact and company max, are not always stronger, because they die ridiculously on strats, yet, very visible...

Will something be done to make everyone learn to play together or will you continue to divide the players? and forge a stupid mentality?

I don't hide my frustration when I see the path taken by the development, but also by the mentality of the players more and more disappointing, yet it's supposed to be an MMO, isn't the goal of an MMO to play together?

ps: just in case and but probably little difference, I bring this up based on what I see on the EU server, I don't know how the mentality is on US server or others.

[Edit] woops, not put the title in plural in relation to the last 2 DLC :D
  2. Jaelia Committed Player

People will play with who they wanna play with, honestly if you find a good league that runs elite content based on communication and somewhat stats you can get through it. I’m US server so I don’t know if leagues like that exist over there but you can always create your own and build up and make the change yourself. DCUO community always been that way when any type of new content drops and developers can’t do anything about that. Good luck. :)
    • Like x 8
  3. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

What in the world are you on about? You are complaining about the devs when they have no control over who people choose to play with. And thankfully they don’t. Why should people be forced to play with people they don’t want to?
    • Like x 6
  4. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

What can the devs do about player base issues? It’s just a thing that exists in any game. Some people don’t mind helping randoms and some people want nothing to do with them. Aside from some sort of mentoring program being implemented, which still relies on the actual player base, there isn’t much the devs can do. They could make content a walk in the park and that may help players care less about who they group with but then top players will leave due to lack of difficulty. There is no real solution to the issue you speak of other than players changing their ways.

Roles are harder to find so we’re generally less picky about those by a stats perspective but they need to know what they’re doing. Dps are a dime a dozen so if they reply to an lfg shout with “dps” or “dps here” or even “372 dps”, they probably aren’t getting picked. If you’re replying like that, try a full tell like “373/550sp/160s with experience” to better your chances.

I believe most of what you’re seeing personally is due to having less friends online than others. At least get a core group of about 4 friends. That makes it much easier to fill a raid group. My crew for example. There’s a main 4. All of us can run any role for elites. We take turns generally and play an opposite role but if we can only find healers and no tanks, we switch to our tanks. Then we have another 2 players that are on often and can also do any role via multiple toons. Then a few friends that can only dps. So if they’re not on, no biggie. Like you said, it’s an mmo. We need to be active in our own way to make the community better. This isn’t something to rely on the devs to cure.

One possible counter argument is that the devs could squash the meta. If that goes away, then maybe players wouldn’t care as much about orange and green circles but it wouldn’t be long till the next meta takes over. And imho, it’s only a good meta when the whole team is on board. One orange circle with one green circle isn’t doing anything. Prec in general is very weak without those combinations so I can’t even personally consider it a meta since they’re technically weak toons that just get an advantage in a particular scenario. Which is how group play should be. You build a team and play on its strengths. While it is another reason for exclusion, it’s one that makes sense. You want a strong team.
    • Like x 1
  5. Hraesvelg Always Right

This right here. If I'm putting together an endgame Elite run, I'll generally pull from known quality players. I'm not going to bash my head against randos for something really difficult.

Now, I WILL take my leaguemates into Elite content with stats/gear that I wouldn't take a PUG, because either I know they have the skill needed to overcome those "limitations" or I'm teaching them the skills for it. I make an investment in people I know that will probably be around, which makes it easier in the long run. I doubt I'll see XxXRandoXxX1123 again, so there isn't much incentive to spend my VERY precious time on them.
    • Like x 5
  6. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

The only thing the devs can do to make it so 'anyone' is welcome is to make it stupid easy, which most people don't really want (ok...maybe in EEG) as it would make thing boring to be too easy.

So yeah, it would unite the players...they will all be united in not signing in.

If you know all the mechs and have 500SP, they have to be seeing something else. How's your CR? 200 artis would be a bonus, but how are your augments...do you have your tac mods...if DPS, what ARE your artis/ally/power?

Now if you were getting kicked a lot...I'd say maybe it's low output, or maybe you messed up a mech, skip pickups or something, but if you aren't getting into a group they are judging you on some visible thing, and 500 SP probably isn't the culprit.
    • Like x 1
  7. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

This has been a problem since day 1. Shouts would go out in the watchtower, and you would need to report to Batwoman for inspection. I remember the day CR was made known information, within 20 minutes of the server coming online there were shouts Need DPS for FOS2 min CR **". Then it became, must have Omni helm, then something else after that. One of the things I like about Omnibus, it's greatly reduced that nonsense. My attitude has always been, if they have the CR to get into an instance, who am I to decide if they're good enough to run with me? this attitude has led to some disastrous runs. It's also made me a whole bunch of friends of people who got into instances for the first time because I didn't kick them.

I was in an omni run last week, Gates I think, and the whole group except 2 were at the +15 max CR. 4 people were from the same league, before we started, they started a vote to kick the lowest CR out, the player who needed the content to gear up. Sadly the vote passed, I left, those aren't people I want to run with.
    • Like x 4
  8. Tolly Committed Player

Actually for me, the community is always built from the way a game was designed, basing a game on a ranking, you can be pretty sure that it's going to be a competitive mentality, and you can see right away the kind of people that it can bring and the kind of behaviour that players can have.

The leagues orep, well, I've seen the mentality and it always ends up the same, anyway, with what I see from my country, they're all getting into trouble for nothing, sooner or later, X will get into trouble with X and leave the league and of course, the buddies of the person who left the league will follow him, very often stupidly, because some, or x left the league because he can't do what he wants in the league and x will join x etc. and it's from this kind of fact that a league starts to die and the remaining ones end up ignoring for no apparent reason, to the point of not saying a simple "hello" or whatever. ..
    • Like x 1
  9. BumblingB I got better.

Finding reasons for exclusions has been an unfortunate thing since the beginning.

Before CR, you had to go to the HQ to be inspected for the role you are joining for.
    Before the census, you had to say how many SP you had.
    Now it's what level and type of artifacts you have and can you tac swap.

My experience is I just give up on trying to PUG anything. I've even found myself random queuing content to just avoid these silly stipulations that group leaders come up with in hopes to be more efficient/effective.

As Jaelia said:

Find friends and like minded people. It really does help.
    • Like x 4
  10. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Been like this since throne of the dead. And I do reg myself and then I get those eleet players who are maxed out just die repeatedly in the reg version as if they think they are gods and indestructible. There is no working together anymore.
    • Like x 1
  11. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

This isn’t a “competitive” game per se but the community does like to have dps comps. But it is technically a team based game. It sounds like you’re trying to maybe say the scoreboard and stats being visible is a bad thing and the cause for your issues? Taking any of that away just leaves a team blind. There are times where the lowest output dps is a liability. There are times where the board comes in handy when trying to figure out if it’s a tank troll or healer issue also. Being able to inspect players should honestly give more info like sp and even a completion success number. More info is always better but yeah, would probably only make things less inclusive.

All that other stuff you said is again player base issues. The devs can’t help that people don’t like each other and they sure can’t force people to like one another. Just keep trying to find friends and a league that fits with you. Takes awhile. Some only care about league buffs so they aren’t there to talk to you and that’s ok too. Maybe offer to help them a few times and see if that shakes them out of their shell and maybe they’ll even return the favor. I’m still friends with players that either I left their league or they left mine and I’d still drop what I’m doing to help them out and vice versa.
  12. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

There will always be arrogant people in any MMO, club or other organization in game or in real life, who make it their job in life to be arbiters of who is in and who is out. Those types of personalities grate on me.

There are also the exceptions that will reject another player base solely on the fact that they need to get Raid A Elite done without any dilly-dallying so they chose to play with only players who they know. It could be because of time constraints or who knows what reason they feel the need to run with a certain level of player to achieve their goals.

I agree that the DCUO player base is divided by the arrogant elites versus everyone else, and I would also say the DCUO player base is divided in other ways too. It is human nature. Crossing that divide is not something the Devs can force on anyone nor should they.

Omnibus (yuck), Event, Regular, Seasonals, even open world are all ways we can come together as a player base. Elite though is elite, it’s their play ground. I run elite sometimes but there are some times one only wants to run that kind of content with known people one can trust.
  13. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I've always hemmed and hawed about the scoreboard. It can be a great tool, trying a new loadout? Run the same instance before and after and compare damage out. Friendly rivalries between friends? Absolutely. Is the problem the healing out, or careless players? It is also a blunt instrument. First boss wipe? Kick the low DPS. Poor power conservation? Kick the 'Trol.
    • Like x 1
  14. Hraesvelg Always Right

Yeah, I think it's an entirely different conversation when it comes to the older content, even Elites. That's pretty much a "come as you are" attitude with me. I could probably solo most of it by bashing my head on a keyboard.

Current episode Elites, especially the harder ones? Well, to answer your question...I'm the one to judge, because I'm the one that values my time and frustration at being prevented from completing a goal. Its rewarding to go up against a hard goal and beat it with like-minded and skilled players. It's irritating being slowed down by the lack of awareness/abilities of the OTHER players causing wipes. It's infuriating to take a few hours and not achieve the goal because of either my own or my teammates screw-ups. I'm going to go into it with the best people I know and gain every above-board advantage I can. At the end of the day, it's a game, which I play for enjoyment...not to get my head smashed into a car door for hours and get nothing in return.
  15. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Yeah I hear ya. I’ve got plenty of friends that obsess over it a bit too much but it can tell you what you need to know. And I do love a good comp so I like having it around. My personal choice tho is not to look till we need to figure out a problem. I consider myself a sweaty but even I’ve backed off tac swapping this dlc since there’s just so many things going on. Others are choosing to still tac swap and yep, they’ll beat me. But only if they survive. I’ve topped the charts while knowing I was the weakest dps solely because I was the only surviving dps. And got the job done. I knew I could turn it up a notch or 2 and speed things up but risk vs reward made me choose to stay safe.
  16. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I agree, if you're putting together a group for an elite run, or you're chasing a particular feat, you want a group you know can do it. what I object to are the people wanting a straight run, or doing Omnibus and then "editing" the group to conform to their wants. If I shout out my requirements, fine, I don't have to answer, but someone shouts "Need troll for the Matter Eater Lad Buffet Raid" with no requirements stated, I'm going to answer.
    • Like x 1
  17. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah....anyone kicking someone from an omni before the first boss (not even sure if that's possible with the 5 min timer), is just being a jerk. They likely had a leaguemate log on and just wanted to let them get omni credit for the week. Personally, I'll kick for squatting or breaking mechanics way sooner than I'd kick for 'low cr'. Ran GOM in omni last week....1 guy 'died' on 1st boss and sat it out. Was AFK for 2nd boss just long enough to get locked out of the room. Tried the same on 3rd boss, waiting out of range to be pulled into the fight...got the boot during the cutscene. I never even noticed his CR or inspected him but I voted yes when the vote came up. Low CR? No problem. Basically sit out 2 bosses? You got to go.

But I agree with Hraesvelg. If I'm building the group, it's up to me to judge if you can join or not. If it's Thursday and there are tons of fillers, no one will be picking someone with questionable stats/gear...why make things harder than needed? Later in the week, you get a bit less picky or you spend a lot more time waiting...but it's still up to the person forming the group to make that call. Yeah, you might pass on some gems, but if you are being passed over (not you personally...saying 'you' as in anyone), build your own group. It's a time honored method of getting into something you might otherwise not make it into. Now...if people keep entering your group and then leaving...well, you can't make anyone join if they don't want.
    • Like x 3
  18. Hraesvelg Always Right

Back in the first year of the game, you could get gear with wildly different stats. You could get high might weapons with little to no health, etc. Some people were building glass cannons and going into content. One thing my league leader at the time used as a mantra was "you can't DPS if you're dead" and it always stuck with me.

A death/pickup can cause a cascade failure fairly quickly in this game. Someone has to stop what they're doing to grab you, stopping heals/trolling/DPS, and exposing them to some sort of AoE environmental attack while they're hitting the cog (or getting VERY close to a boss if you died because you were trying to melee and the tank isn't moving off your corpse...). I mean, yeah, people die...it happens...but so you can pump out 2% more on a scorecard? **** out of here with that nonsense, LOL.
    • Like x 1
  19. Drathmor Unwavering Player

its not the games fault the community sucks thats the players you have a problem with
    • Like x 1
  20. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Or the fact that you could wear pvp gear and have those awesome green numbers to wear around in open world and then find out why you suck in on duty instances. Lol. Now that’s a glass cannon
    • Like x 1