New P2W Membership Idea - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Elijah Seed, May 14, 2022.

1. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

I was talking to a friend about DCUO (they've not played.) I was explaining the 'pay-to-win' aspect of the game - how if you have the money you can literally buy the best stuff in the game without limits - or rather you're only limited by the credit limit on your credit cards. Everything is for sale here! They wanted to know how anyone would play DCUO if this was true because they certainly wouldn't be interested in being part of a game that allowed those with unlimited funds to exploit such an advantage over all the other players that don't have the same luxury. I shrugged.

But they did come up with an idea that might be in keeping with DCUO's 'pay-to-win' tradition. They asked if DCUO has a membership option that just allows players to pay extra money each to just have everything handed to them instead of actually having to play the game at all.

This is how I understood their thinking (I'm not going to go into all the details of the back and forth we had.)

Players would pay the normal $15 per month for the normal all access membership. And for those that can afford it they pay an extra $50 or $100 per month to just have everything handed to them that they would otherwise have to actually play the game to get.

Every daily, every weekly, EVERYTHING on the Rewards Calendar - EVERYTHING that players would get ONLY if they played the game these 'high rollers/ whales' would automatically get on Day One once they pay the extra $50 or $100 for that month.

Exceptions would have to be made for items not in effect like bonus week currencies and whatnot or event items, of course, but they would get EVERYTHING when they simply login the very first time that month after they've made their extra membership payment for that month.

So, what do you folks think? Good idea? Bad idea? How many people would actually pay an extra $50 or $100 on top of the $15 membership each month just to support DCUO and help it stay in business? Would this be too much of a good thing? Or WAY too much of an already bad tradition that DCUO should end?

Share your thoughts and comments (and you're mom's chocolate chip cookie recipe if you're so inclined.)

Thanx!
  2. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

The pay to win as it is right now is reluctantly acceptable to me under the assumption that it needs to be this way to stay alive, but no... I would quit immediately if somebody could use real money to buy everything that I've accumulated and more with the thousands of hours I've put in over the years.

It would be a giant middle finger to everyone that has invested serious time and energy into the game. Elon musk can get down on his knees and scrub the floors with the rest of us.
  3. GameIsGreat. Well-Known Player

This is a bad idea. If something like this were ever implemented, I would think it was a ‘last cashout’ by the devs. Basically introduce this quickly, just to burn peoples credit cards for a couple months before servers ‘suddenly’ shut down. Other games have done it.
  4. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I was not aware that there was a "dumbest idea of the year" competition going on this year. Who would actually throw money at a game to not actually play it? What exactly are they getting out of this? Why should they (the company) devote any resources into programming something this ridiculous this when that person with more money than sense can just give ME the money and i'd play the game for them. :rolleyes:
    • Like x 4
  5. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

NGL, I suspect your friend was just making a snarky comment/joke. They certainly wouldn't be the first and won't be the last to make such a joke. There'd be no point if it worked this way, hence the joke. Paying for a shortcut or boost is one thing, but this is just paying to entirely eliminate any game whatsoever beyond making outfits and bases. And from the sounds of it, I think you've vastly overstated the pay-to-win aspects. Like, I can totally understand the opinion that it's too much or that the prices are too high, but saying "everything is for sale here" is just an extreme and ridiculous exaggeration. Especially now with permanent free episodes. There's still plenty of game at any level of money, including none. You make it sound like EA's Star Wars Battlefront 2 and it's just not even remotely as bad as that. It's certainly better than a lot of MMOs nowadays.
    • Like x 3
  6. Trexlight Devoted Player

So DCUO doesnt have a Pay 2 Win, Pay 2 Advance, maybe. Hell even Ive said Artifacts are indeed Pay 2 Win to an extent but in reality, there's nothing in the MP that makes it to where its "literally spend money and get the best stuff in game". That doesnt exist here as everything is gained just by playing. With Artifacts and Augments, and now Allies, you can get those in game and level them buy playing. Buying them on the MP is now a choice, not a necessity as it was before.

In terms of Artifacts, its a pay to advance but even then with the Daily Reward System and Seals and Nth metal on that vendor, you dont have to spend money on Arts any longer to level them up.

Augments we are given for free at the beginning of an episode and then you can by other versions for 5 of its currency. The Augments on the MP are to level them faster as a choice. You can easily level them just by playing so this too is an example of Pay 2 Advance.

Allies, they WERE going to be the biggest P2W item for sure until they added them to the Cyborg vendor to be bought. Now the Allies from TCs, it skates the line (AND HOPEFULLY WE LEARNED THIS LESSON AGAIN TO NOT HAVE ALLIES IN TCs!!!) but even with the Stab Frags you get from the Daily Reward and the random Bonus Stab Frag Week event, you can open the 25 TCs to get them without opening the wallet. (AGAIN, ARTS IN TCs WERE TERRIBLE SO ALLIES IS AS WELL). A bright side too is like Arts, the Allies from TCs will be on Booster Gold vendor when their cycle is retired so they can be bought for Quarks there. Now yes, Quarks are gained from Opening TCs but they are exchangeable with Source Marks. While yes the Ratio is terrible and could use an update, its still an option where you arent forced to open your wallet.

Time Capsules themselves are said to be P2W because the items inside certainly have Feats attached and because of this, its given the smell of P2W. These argument is more on the "eye of the beholder". We've reached a point in the game where Skill (Stat) Points matter but only to a point. Its a side grind not meaning to be the main grind as it once was. TCs as far as anyone can see arent going anywhere and feats will be there but this too isnt a "spend money and get best stuff in game" as there's nothing best about it in them besides the feats which yo udont HAVE to get right now anyways. Booster Gold will have the Retired Time Capsule items in rotation so if you want the Gear/Styles/Emblems now, thats your choice to open to your wallet's content. Or just wait for them to appear on Booster Gold.

There was at one point the feeling of P2W and DCUO has always skated the line. Artifacts once appeared on the MP was my prime example because you honestly were required the Seal fo Completion to go above Rank 120 because of the awful Breakthrough Fail %s. The DCUO of today isnt P2W. The idea presented to pay to get everything isnt doable and certainly a terrible idea and its almost insulting for it to be given air.

Also my mom sent me this (she questioned me for 10 mins since it was so random lol)
    1 cup butter, softened
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons hot water
    ½ teaspoon salt
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups chocolate chips
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    • Like x 5
  7. Great Architect Loyal Player

If somebody can tell me what I win, I'll consider paying. Until then, it's a myth. Do you mean "doing more damage than me", because that's not even a passing relevance to group-minded players. Mass DPS is, and consistent output is. Being top is not. It's also a complete irrelevance to a Healer / Tank / Troll. I'm not even fussed if a 2-healer setup ends up with the other heals more than mine. We both got it done.
    • Like x 1
  8. Great Architect Loyal Player

There are literally no things I would want to see on the MP that contribute to anything other than co-operative play. **** your **** elsewhere, please.

That looks way worse than it was. "peeeeen" is a bad word, it seems, in both cases. The profanity filter makes that look like I was being really abusive :(.
    • Like x 1
  9. Great Architect Loyal Player

That does exist. And is entirely optional.
    • Like x 3
  10. Great Architect Loyal Player

Incidentally, you can't buy clipping, any other amount of skill, or situational awareness. Those are innate or learned.

Or fun. That has to come from inside.
    • Like x 4
  11. myandria Item Storage

LOL so she sent you the chocolate chip recipe that is on the back of a bag of Nestle's Chocolate Chips? Hahhahaa Good one MOM! :D
    • Like x 2
  12. Godtr0n Active Player

I think what the OP described is pay to win taken to a whole new level of ridiculousness. Meta gaming with your credit card to pay to actually never have to even play the game. Its something I could see Devs get behind though. Paying to complete the entire game without even having to play it is probably one of the most enjoyable ways to play this game. Then you can spend your time playing a different game thats actually fun instead since you already have everything.
  13. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

In case you haven't been paying attention for the last decade... most people are lazy af. They sit around and duel in watchtower and only bother to do anything if someone proposes it. It actually wouldn't surprise me if someone spent hundreds of dollars to be able to win a duel with a few less buttons. Normal people on this game are probably more rare than the eccentric weirdos that think buying stabilizers is a good idea.
  14. nawanda Loyal Player

Why do you post about and even play the game, with such obvious hatred for it? Oh wait, could it be that you’re either grossly exaggerating or wildly misrepresenting reality?

No wonder your dotard friend can’t understand why anyone plays, and came up with such a lame suggestion.
    • Like x 1
  15. Great Architect Loyal Player

I was talking to a friend too - and they asked me to stop using them as a convenient imaginary sounding board to express my own thoughts and opinions. They said that was gutless and self-serving. But I don't have to listen to them, because they aren't actually real.

So I made this post.
    • Like x 3
  16. Great Architect Loyal Player

I love it when people decide "The Devs" make marketing decisions. That's just flat-out ignorance.

Jackster is gone. You can have a little bit of hope that your game isn't going to be the dystopian nightmare you seem to want it to be. But hey - why spoil your fun for the sake of everyone else that plays? It's only what you want that's important. Fact.
    • Like x 2
  17. Great Architect Loyal Player

"Watchtower". By definition that would mean that your observation is that Heroes are lazy af. Don't go putting that on us Villains.
    • Like x 1
  18. KidKretz Committed Player

this is like buying an expensive comic book slab just to break it open to read it.....but never actually reading it. then paying money to re-slab it, and then repeat the process of breaking it open, never reading it, and re-slabbing it.
    • Like x 1