Fixed Brimstone Grasping Hand DoT Never Goes Away Until Death

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Ryazan, Apr 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Sometimes the heavy Damage over Time from Brimstone's grasping hand attack just stays applied for a really long time; This is happening because the heavy DoT is supposed to only stay on you until you break out of the attack, but if you are hit by the attack while immune to cc effects, the DoT just stays for a really long time.

This bug has been acknowledged since the Onimar Synn fight in Thanagar and the original elite Brimstone fight in BoP, but the original thread is mysteriously missing, as per this thread's history: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/help-fbe.310019/

Back in the day, when Fire & Brimstone Elite was the latest raid, this bug was making good tanks look like complete dumbasses if the healer wasn't good or if no one knew about it. It's sad to see that it wasn't fixed, specially after someone thought using the "damage while being controlled" mechanic for the new episode was a good idea with this still being around.
    • Like x 7
  2. Henoshock Well-Known Player

I notice this when I try to do it without a heal/tank, I'll just die to one attack that applies an infinite DoT.
  3. Rainnifer Committed Player

Please I want this fixed, I tend to PUG these Duo's because its usually faster than trying to make up a group for it, this new elite duo is completable with 2 DPS but this bug needs to be fixed! It's at the point where I consistently can't expect to fight brimstone without this bug happening at least 2-3 times. It's got me very frustrated.
  4. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Onimar Synn and The Fire and Brimstone raid version of Brimstone had this bug. It was very annoying, particularly since it was an extremely easy boss fight to tank (even in elite) so people assumed you must be a terrible tank if you died. But 30 straight 90K ticks when your max health is 230 is gonna kill you unless there are two healers spamming priority heals. Which of course didn’t happen since it was typically solo healed and up until the bug happens you’re barely taking so much as a smidgeon of damage so it catches the healer off guard. It seemed to affect Atomic tanks the most since comboing can cause you to be a little late on the breakout or you would combo right through it with the hands animation still happening but no actual stun happening to break out of. Both of those scenarios could trigger the bug.

The grasping hand DoT bug was reported several times and never fixed. When the duo went up on test server I posted in the thread about those bugs and asked the devs or players on test to see if this got C&P’d in to this new version of Brimstone but nobody replied or acknowledged the potential issue. I hadn’t experienced it in the duo so I thought maybe the mechanic was fixed or just built from scratch without the oversight but then it happened to me today. I saved the clip and can try and upload it here. The number of ticks couldn’t even fit in the combat log window when expanded to max size lol.

Edit: I jumped right in to posting and didn’t read the OP since this bug irked/irks the hell out of me. Turns out I just gave a clinic in futile redundancy, lol. Whoops!
  5. Charon Lead Content Designer

I spent some time digging around and found another way to build the ability. There was a fairly easily repro'd race condition when your CC breakout immunity was either on or just expired and the ability was cast again - so you wouldn't get stunned but you'd get the DoT. The method to break the DoT was to break the stun. Since the stun didn't get applied but the DoT did = no way to remove the DoT.

Now after reworking all of these abilities mentioned (and others like Terra's version) they will apply stun and a tag first and then the DoT will look for that tag and if you have it then it will apply the DoT. Breaking out of the stun will remove that tag so there is double protection from getting the DoT stuck on you.

This will go up in a hotfix soon.
    • Like x 9
  6. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Awesome. This has been a recurring issue since the boss in the Atlantis solo.
  7. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I noticed this issue earlier than that, in the Atlantis solo where the boss threw a spear at you. When I bought it up, everyone thought I was being a dumbo too. :(
  8. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Yeah, that’s pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking was happening. Thanks so much for the digging and the fix!
  9. Charon Lead Content Designer

If y'all think of any more let me know. I did snag the one from the Atlantis Solo as well but I'm unable to just search all instances of this, sadly. We can squish them as they are reported, however.
  10. Berza Committed Player

Not really important since it does not apply damage, but in Superwoman figth in Return to Earth 3, if you are affected by her Lasso while immune you will keep the red arrows FX for some time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.