What's the point in Quarks?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by KiraDanvers, Apr 28, 2022.

1. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

I'm not being funny, but why are Quarks so massively unbalanced, price-wise? I don't get it. They're simultaneously hugely over-priced, but also basically worthless!

I've been playing this game for years and I've opened hundreds, maybe even thousands of Time Capsules over the years. I rarely ever buy anything from the Quark vendor (because everything is so expensive) and in all that time, I've only accumulated about 6300 Quarks.
    Yet, one fairly average looking aura costs 5129 Quarks! Why?? Why do such mundane things have to cost so much? It's insane!

It basically means that I never want to buy anything from Booster Gold because it's taken me like 4 years to get that many Quarks! Why would I wanna blow it all on one fairly standard looking aura?? If those auras cost 500 or even 1,000 Quarks, that wouldn't be so bad because at least you could buy a few items from there, but no. I can wipe out years worth of currency hoarding with one purchase. It makes no sense!

Even buying Quarks from Doctor Fate is ridiculous. You can buy 150 Quarks (which is a paltry amount) for two Fate Tokens! TWO! Nothing else in that vendor costs two of those Tokens!
    So basically, I can choose to use those 2 Fate Tokens to buy 2 Seals of completion (which would have a marketplace cost of 900MC - roughly £8/$10).......or I can buy 150 Quarks, which won't even buy a gear box from Booster Gold because they cost 193 Quarks. What?? Not being funny but for 2 Fate Tokens I'd be expecting to get like 2,500 Quarks, not 150!

Now, I know you can choose Quarks as an option when you open up Time Capsules, but why would you when you have so many more useful items to choose from first, such as style items, emblems, collection items, auras, Alliances, giant dumps of Nth metal or ally favor etc.
    I just don't get why you would choose Quarks from Time Capsules, and I don't understand why their price structure is so ludicrously expensive for such a hard-to-come-by currency!
    • Like x 2
  2. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

1 fate token should be 300-500 quarks. maybe your guaranteed 300 but have a chance at opening a box and get up to 500. not looking forward to seeing how expensive the black neon will be later on this year
  3. L T Devoted Player

I'm pretty sure it's balanced to make anything obtainable eventually, while still keeping things rare and valuable in case you still want to actually open those old time capsules or have old styles to sell on the broker.

The relatively high prices mean you won't buy everything you ever impulse-wanted off the quark vendor, but if there's one style that you absolutely have to have but could never get to drop for you, now you can save up for that.
    • Like x 2
  4. Great Architect Loyal Player

Quarks are a Currency that admits defeat on the part of the developers. And they have never addressed that defeat, nor the issue - because Quarks now exist.
    • Like x 3
  5. Great Architect Loyal Player

Longevity, and how to deal with that, and FOMO seems to be the fundamental blind spot of DCUO.
  6. Great Architect Loyal Player

I'll extrapolate: -

The only way to obtain chase items from the older Time Capsules is to either have those older TCs, and trust to luck - or buy them directly from the Second Chance vendor. HOWEVER. Quarks only come from Time Capsules, and at a much lesser rate than you would need to eventually buy all of the chase items using Quarks. You can never catch up.

This is part of, and in part, the argument against having Feats associated with TC content.
  7. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

That is incorrect! Quarks are ALSO available from the Rewards From Time and Space Vending Machines (located next to Boo$ter Gold in the HQs, and also located in Safe Houses) so you CAN obtain them there, as well. But with an exchange rate (which is waaaaay out of whack and needs to be adjusted) of 100 Source Marks to only 25 Quarks (barring any limited time sale that lowers the prices) it's still a pain in the backside to get enough for something as rare as the Black and White Neon Chroma Materials Packs (which are NOT available from Boo$ter Gold yet, that just happens to be the next thing I'm planning to buy from Boo$ter, whenever he finally has them! :rolleyes:)
    • Like x 2
  8. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

I mean.....it's one thing "making things obtainable eventually" and a whole other thing having to have to wait four years to build up enough currency to buy just ONE aura. It's not just excessive, it's taking the absolute p*ss!

I get that they want to keep some things rare and valuable, that's fair, but really......does a 'Red Kryptonite Aura - Head' really need to cost 5129 Quarks? For a bit of red haze on my characters head? No. It's completely unreasonable. Even if they took the '9' off the end of that price and made it 512 Quarks, I'd still think that was too much!

I mean look, just the Red Kryptonite auras from the Atlantean TCs alone, we have these options -
    'Head, Hands, Feet'
    'Head, Hands'
    'Head'
    'Hands, Feet'
    'Hands'
    'Right Hand'
    'Feet'
    and the full body aura.
    Each one costs 5129 Quarks!!!
    If you wanted all 8 of those, that's 41,032 Quarks!!!!

Then we have the same list of options for the -
    Purple Blighted Aura
    Blue Mystic Aura
    Red Doomed Aura
    Green Doomed Aura
    If you wanted every option for all of these auras?? That's 164,128 Quarks!!!! In total, getting every option for all 5 aura sets would cost 205,160!!!!!
    AND THAT'S JUST FROM THE ATLANTEAN TIME CAPSULE!!!!! And that's not even all the stuff in that TC! It's MADNESS!
    There's also like 14 TCs in Booster Golds inventory!

The prices are not balanced in the slightest. There's no way anyone could buy all of these unless they were spending tens of thousands of £ or $ on Time Capsules.
    • Like x 3
  9. L T Devoted Player

you can also get quarks from Fate, if you're not using your Destiny Token(s).

Most of the various time capsules offer a choice to get extra Quarks, sometimes a lot. That can help. Resurgence is a multi pack of time capsules-- 9 for the price of 7. That helps a lot if you save up for those events. If you open your wallet and spend a few bucks when they have the 30 pack of stabilizers on sale, that helps also.

Finally, the broker is your friend. Despite how I try to gouge desperate players with ridiculously high prices, someone always seems willing to dump stuff on the broker for cheap.
    • Like x 2
  10. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Game has to make some money
  11. C3alix Committed Player

Quarks are for us guys that have spent more money than 80% of the player base.
    • Like x 1
  12. Great Architect Loyal Player

Yes. Remind me why nobody trades in Source Marks for Quarks?

Because the exchange rate is risible.

And the Fate to Quarks rate is risible.

The chasest of chase chases - Phoenix Material or Void Material is near on 6000 Quarks. How long would I have to subscribe to get that, again? Just by grabbing my Dailies? And then do it twice, three times, however many 6K+ items then exist?

But again, that is not the question I asked,.
  13. Great Architect Loyal Player

True. Would you like to expand on that thought? Or is "gun to the head" the same as "ask nicely"?

Because game has to make some money, right? The way it's done isn't important?
  14. nawanda Loyal Player

Nailed it.

Quarks are for exactly this purpose. They are for people who are the biggest victims of the TC scam, opening thousands (actual thousands, not imaginary thousands) and not finishing things off. I would set the bar at the top 1-3% of the player base in terms of spend. They are for the top spenders. I’m not one of those. But it doesn’t really bother me, I’m rich in terms of in-game currency and assets, and just buy everything on the secondary market.
  15. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

I couldn't remember if that was the case or not, so thanks for the clarification!

ALL of this nonsense could be avoided if our characters just had an actual LUCK STAT we could dump points into, like other RPGs, that had a very real, noticeable, material effect on Drop Rates and other sorts of things that a Luck Stat would and should have an impact on!

But there I go again, making sense. I keep forgetting that with these Devs, if it makes sense (rather than dollars & cents), IT'S NOT ALLOWED! :rolleyes::p
    • Like x 1