‘Reported for griefing.’ - Psa for whoever needs to read this.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by GameIsGreat., Apr 5, 2022.

1. GameIsGreat. Well-Known Player

This morning I was sitting idle before shutdown on Xbox when I noticed a little tiff on the chat channel. Apparently a player was doing their DC dailies and another person came across and ‘stole’ credit for their efforts. This resulted in someone turning super Karen and threatening to report that person in tells that spilled over into shout, with the Karen stating this is against ToS to ‘steal’ a kill.

“Stealing’ kills isn’t even a thing…..are people really this dense? All it take sis one little hit on one add in a mob and you get credit for the whole thing. No need to cry, unless your life revolves around being offended and hurt by nothing. This is, after all, an MMO. This will happen…..and is not against the ToS to simply play the game.

This resulted in a hilarious bashing of the Karen, but I felt the need to post this as I myself have been sent tells (Probably from the same Karen) threatening reports over absolutely nothing. Maybe that person just doesn’t know, or maybe there are just a lot of sensitive people in this game. Either way, unnecessary nonsense as usual filling up the chat this morning that could have been easily avoidable. Hence the PSA.

Good day.
    • Like x 2
  2. Hraesvelg Always Right

Back in ye olden days, you could absolutely come along and do more damage to something and take the kill credit...but it's been years and years since that was a thing. Maybe even pre-XBox. It's always amazing to me the amount of people who KNOW what a particular TOS or Constitution says without having a single clue about it.
    • Like x 5
  3. GameIsGreat. Well-Known Player

That’s where I currently reside actually, XBOX. It’s amazing to me how many times I see this issue pop up, it’s hilarious. I don’t mean this to be a malicious post, just spreading a little knowledge to whoever may need to see this. May add some years to their life…..people get heated over nothing lol.
    • Like x 2
  4. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, I've had this discussion before as well. While there is no 'stealing' of credit except a very few missions (like the Bop catwoman/huntress one), some people like to get all huffy if they somehow believe they have 'dibs' on an area in the open world. Not sure if it's ruining their immersion, or role-play or whatever, but all I'm looking at is the 1/30 change to 2/30 or whatever. And that number goes up whether you or I press a cog. MOST people realize this and will even work in tandem never uttering a word or grouping up. I've run into another person (even opposite faction) where we realize we are working on the same thing and they will knock things out and I'll pick up the cogs or vice versa. It makes life quicker and gets us both out of the daily grind faster.

Again....MOST people get this. The group that does not should NOT frequent the fuller phases or should go to the area outskirts to minimize the chances they run into someone else.

My favorite thing is when SOME seem to believe that the 'stealing' is some how intentional, like someone is hovering around them in particular...waiting for them to do a kill...just so they can then swoop in. Like following someone around since spawn, or hopping phases....and trust me...there are those who believe that. Seems a bit egotistical to me....like that Karen is somehow so great at killing adds they need to be followed and exploited....Me, I'm all like...
    [IMG]
    • Like x 4
  5. GameIsGreat. Well-Known Player

Nicely said. Sums it up rather nicely.
    • Like x 1
  6. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

Yeah, some people can get really upset by stuff like that.

I had a similar experience a long time ago, I was playing on villain side running through my alts, just doing my normal seasonal route and I run into players all the time and we finish a few objectives together and we move on..

But this one time I ran into a player, I helped finish the objective and we both went to the next one, and before we got to the next one, they stopped moving. So I assumed they finished so I did the wave emote like I often do and kept going.. and they sent me a tell;

"you need to stop following me, youre taking my missions!"

I replied; "I'm not following you, I run this same route everyday on like 7 toons and have done it for years.."

They quickly replied; "yeah, sure.."

I replied; "And we share credit, so no need to worry."

They replied; "just leave me alone."

So I stopped sending tells and just finished the mission and that was that.. :confused::D
  7. BumblingB I got better.

Most of the content has been designed for shared credit. There have been some things that miss this method, but it usually gets fixed. For the most part, shared credit is counted as long as you have interacted with an objective. Either attacking or hitting a cog. In the new Doomed DC area, everything is shared as long as you hit it once. It's even more shared if you are in a group and you don't have to hit anything at all.

Back when 31st century was still rather new, I got /tell yelled at by someone that I came and started to attack the same enemies as them. It was not about objective stealing, but because he didn't like the fact I fought the same enemy as him. Something along the lines of "if I wanted help, I'd have asked for it." which I proceeded to say, "it's a shared space, you don't own rights to the area" and then he went off on me. lol

In the end of the day, there is nothing in the ToS "objective stealing" as that person in shout was trying to say.
    • Like x 1
  8. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yeah, when people "steal" my stuff, even though I still get credit, and get credit for my work after contributing nothing (especially in a couple mentor missions and a couple seasonals where heroes and villains have opposing directives, so they actually are stealing my stuff on those ones and just deciding their quest is more important than mine.... mostly done by heroes, I've noticed lol) it's pretty annoying and I often do the "rude gesture" emote as they zip off, but that's really it. As annoying as it is, reporting them is just ridiculous. It's a jerk thing to do, but not really report-worthy. And when someone is actually joining in the work and fighting the enemies together.... come on, man. That's such a weird thing to be mad at. "Oh no, you made taking out 30 UV Lanterns easier and go faster for me! How dare you!" When people slide in and get points to their quests from your work, that's quite annoying, but you literally contributed to it. Do they feel patronized by getting help somehow? Do they just feel the need to be all macho and strong and godly and having help gets in the way of that? Such an odd thing to get mad about. Especially in an MMO. Even if "objective stealing" was reportable it simply wouldn't really apply here.

And as annoying as actual "objective stealing" is, I think it's for the best it's not TOS or reportable. I mean.... how would that even work?! I don't think there's any real way to implement such a thing that would be effective but also not extremely abusable/exploitable and more of a problem than a help. Plus it would get used so much, even if every single case was "legitimate", that the poor DCUO team would just be drowning in it and never be able to get anything done for more important reports and support tickets.
  9. nawanda Loyal Player

Maybe I’m getting old, but there is always a wealth of toxic people in community channels. People can’t have a beef via PM, they need the attention and validation of dragging it into communal channels. There can’t be that many basement-dwelling 30 year-old-virgins on one game. I don’t get it.
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

You know it's 'mostly done by heroes' because the most of the population is heroes right? That's like saying most people you've run into who are 'rude' in your travels to China....are Chinese people. (no shade at the Chinese...just saying...I'd guess most people in China are Chinese....be they nice OR rude).

I mean if one Villain were 'stealing' an objective from another one...that's like 50% of the Villain population all working on one objective ....right? ;)
  11. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Edited your post to pick out two points of interest. I get what you're saying, but I also get frustrated trying to find many of these missions in a short amount of time when the spawn times can be a bit longer than they should be, especially for seasonal content. The other one that I will swoop in at the last second is bounties, and I do so because I do not want to spend 10-15 minutes fighting the next one solo because the large group of players moved on to the next one.

It's often more efficient to get some credit than no credit at all by hitting enemies at the last second and moving to the next objective. I feel bad someone else did most of the work, but the game mechanics and players' mentality also make it tough to feel that bad.
  12. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Bruh... you're taking my remark about heroes waaaaaay too seriously and also I specifically said "objective stealing" and actually contributing and joining the combat to help finish off enemies are NOT the same thing and that the latter is a very odd thing to be mad at. What I find annoying is stuff like a villain doing Spring seasonals and some hero darting in, killing one of the plants, and running off because they've decided they matter more and deserve their mission finished more at the expense of the other person or vice versa (I named heroes as a little quip, it's annoying and a jerk move either direction) or someone defeating a Doomsayer and another person diving in and doing the rehabilitation interaction thing the second they're down before the first person can do it and then zipping off having gotten partial credit without contributing and that sorta thing. I was not referring to someone coming across another person doing the same mission as them and jumping in and actively contributing, even if it happens to be right at the end. Quite the opposite, I said it's a weird thing to get mad at. I also said that as annoying as the former is, trying to report someone or do anything more than a rude gesture emote to express your annoyance and moving on is quite silly and a bit much. None of what you're arguing against is anything I actually said. In fact, I said the exact opposite. We're on the same side, don't need to come after me, guys.
    • Like x 1
  13. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I did not intend my remarks as "coming after" you. I was merely explaining my own position on the matter while responding to specific points you had made that resonated with my thoughts.
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Not sure who you were replying to, as you didn't 'reply'....but if that was directed at me...you know I was joking right? Jerkness can go both directions....Heroes are not immune to it's lure.

While it's true MOST of the server population is Heroes, I doubt the villain population is only 4.

I'm mean it's GOT to be closer to like 18 or 20....right?:D
  15. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

It's probably not the 'stealing' that upset them. It's probably them doing all the work for someone else to get credit when they only tagged the add. I don't have this issue on my main since he's powerful enough to one-two shot everything before anyone has the chance to tag anything. But when I was still playing my alts it was annoying as heck to wind up spending all that time to do MY dailies and someone else getting credit for it.

And you do NOT always get credit for the kills someone else tags in Doomed D.C. I've noticed this on every one of my alts when some inconsiderate *** comes along and decides to flash bomb mobs when I'm trying to get my stuff done. My solution is to simply fly away and start over somewhere else in the zone where I don't have to concern myself with doing someone else's tasks for them by default and not getting credit for everything I kill. I think it works out well, too.

The best solution is if you're going to jump in on someone else's mobs just take the time to help them down them. Everyone wins that way. AND - when players see you again in the game they're more likely to stick around and play with you instead of adding you to their Ignore List - relegating you to the Domain of the Useless.
    • Like x 1
  16. Zneeak Devoted Player

Man, this thread and the fact that this phenomenon doesn't seem to be all that rare has me howling laughing.

"ThAt WaS mYyYy EnEMy!11oneONE!1"
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Some perspective from the other side. :D

While we're in a game environment that allows for shared credit, in my experience in MMOs it's always been considered bad form to jump in on someone else's spawn without asking. After all, it's kind of butting in, and the only exception for jumping in like that is if the person on the spawn is about to drop. And considering the issue here pops up in open world areas where players are running solo missions, the chances of someone else being in that kind of predicament kind of nose dive. ;)

As far as the number of spawns? It's usually not lacking, even in seasonals. So there's really no reason to not go after a different spawn other than a player just being plain lazy.

Finally, there's actually a chance of it being griefing, even if it wasn't intended. With the bonus week extended to open world missions, I've been seeing more folks showing up in spots like Age of Justice running the "take down X number of NPC" missions (worth it with the double active). However, they're not always being careful with their takedowns, and in some cases can cause mission objectives to despawn. Not great for those trying to run the actual missions.

I'm not going to be one to threaten ban reports or anything like that. But honestly, it doesn't kill a player to exercise a little consideration for others. :)
  18. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

Blows my mind, man. It's trivial open world dailies that take 5 minutes per world. Other people may add or subtract 20 seconds to that time. It's not even worth thinking about and it's even more petty than the people who complain about seasonal leechers.
    • Like x 1
  19. Brit Loyal Player

The only thing I consider to be an obnoxious form of "kill stealing" is simply stuff like the Saint Patricks Day event. I'm on a pot of gold, and some random yahoo comes by and blasts it 50 times, spawns all the coins at once, clicks one coin (the rest just expiring before either of us can do anything) and they manage to waste 6-7 coins.

They don't "steal" it in the regard that they get it and I don't. They "steal" it in the regard that I had something, and they came along and deprived me of it with their actions.

I wouldn't ever report it. I don't even bother talking to them. But it is rude and annoying.
    • Like x 4
  20. Starry Knight Active Player

Yeah, I mainly play with a healer and I've noticed that. I'm not sure if it was intended by the devs or just a glitch.
    • Like x 1