What's the Point of Teaching Mechanics if it Brings Abuse?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SethZoulMonEl, Apr 2, 2022.

1. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I was trying to teach a group about the Happiness Home mechanics with the shield drones to get them to focus on them and let them know we were going to wipe when Superman was fully powered by the solar terminals. As a result, I was inspected and told that my 200 SP and 120 artifacts mean my advice should not be listened to. I was also blamed for not healing the group through Superman's attacks after that as the group's healer.

I feel like I'm better off just being silent.
    • Like x 2
  2. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Those mechanics are there for that very reason. Ignore mechanics and the raid becomes harder. Personally I’d add them to ignore and move on. Some people just can’t be taught
    • Like x 5
  3. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

There have been a few times I was impressed with my pug groups. I was clearing out an alts journal and queued into Love and War. We wiped due to Carols Big AOE. I typed in "You must block when you see the skull or you die. There is no work around" and lo and behold we cleared it on the second try and maybe two people during the fight went down. Was very nice. Had it happen a few other times as well.

Once it a while it happens.
    • Like x 5
  4. PickArole Well-Known Player

Lol, your wasting your time. The people playing now are either vets or master players (at least they THINK they are). Ether way, your wasting your time.
  5. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

What bugs me about most of these players is they point to the scorecard and their damage when told they aren't following mechanics. Higher damage may have worked before stat scaling, but unless everyone in the group is hitting for maximum damage with max gear, max artifacts, max augments, and high skill points, it doesn't work that way anymore. Damage rarely trumps mechanics in Omnibus groups.
    • Like x 3
  6. PickArole Well-Known Player

I know the feeling, like the sentrys on fos3. The "masters" say they don't cause the wipe when they get in melee range. It's the healers fault they say. I feel ya, mechanics DO make a bit of difference.
    • Like x 2
  7. Hraesvelg Always Right

It's a mixed bag. You never know when they'll listen and when they won't. I'll usually give one or two attempts after casting my pearls before the swine, and if they get it, great. If not...have fun. You never know what seeds you sow will grow.
    • Like x 3
  8. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I got criticised for my damage out when I told people not to get more turrets than specified by Mxy. Fun times. What a quality, fun mechanic.
    • Like x 2
  9. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I don't mind the mechanics. I just wish players wouldn't lash out when someone explains what the group needs to do. Sadly, some people feel the need to tear others down to build themselves up.
  10. PolishEagle Dedicated Player

I like mechanics. Game would be so boring with out. It is also why I am a big fan of cr scaling. Yeah it might be rough now but they eventually will learn.
    • Like x 2
  11. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

That’s… optimistic.
  12. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Well okay then…I guess a brand new player could start a new account and buy source marks and buy gold and buy art boosters and get everything leveled up (except sp of course) and have grand knowledge of the game and advice worth listening to. Seems legit. Oh, and cause you can’t heal stupid, they naturally blame the healer when a death mechanic is triggered and no one else.
    • Like x 1
  13. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

The elite duo first boss is a deal breaker for me. Same with last duo as well. Lunge the freakin boss/robot that stuns you and kills you! Cause ya know, that next stun will target you and who’s there now! huh, no one!! How do these players get this far without even knowing so little…

They can’t find the block button
    They can’t find the lunge button
    They can definitely find the scoreboard and inspect and not know how it works

Most mechanics are fine. It’s just the players who make them miserable as they don’t give a fudge about them.
    • Like x 5
  14. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Yeah, that's what bothers me about the inspect and judge attitude. I was away from the game for three years, so my SP and artifact XP on some of my alts is low. Even my main is only at a bit over 300 skill points with 160 ranked artifacts. That doesn't mean I don't know content from three years ago well. I played these and learned these when they were relevant. Most players seem to have played them when stat scaling didn't exist, and they could roll stomp the boss fights with more damage.
    • Like x 2
  15. Furnburn Active Player

I was called a "f*ck*ng idiot" for being the only one aware of the mechanics, not doing CC and "not doing my role", I don't have a working mic and couldn't tell them the controller can't be in two places at once and should not be the one who is busy doing something else instead of crowd control, buffing and debuffing so I left. On top of being insulted I was not going to stick around for the second wipe and it's one of the few times I've deserted. I can count the number of times I left a group without excusing myself on one hand, only other times I exited out was a game crash. I will be avoiding that mission unless it's with league members, randoms are often clueless and are quick to blame the controller with insult to injury because they're being overwhelmed. I have completed that instance many times, success depends on situational awareness from at least one other player and not just the controller.
    • Like x 2
  16. Wallachia Devoted Player

This is why I mostly stay quiet when a group/raid is failing, specially after I was blamed for being a ****** tank by a DPS who jumped into a boss fight alone and got 1-shot before the rest of the group followed him.
    • Like x 4
  17. FlyingFingers Well-Known Player

Ha ha ha Well said well said bud.
  18. Jcal Dedicated Player

You tried and you were in the right. Nothing else matters. Take solace in that and move on.

Some players don't want to learn, don't wan't to improve and there's nothing you can do about it. Just don't let a bad experience completely sour you on helping new players.
    • Like x 7
  19. Furnburn Active Player

A group can power its way through when everyone has max artifacts, max gear and 500 skill points without any situational awareness of the game mechanics when you don't need to be a god to be aware of the mechanics and not get your group wiped. Of course being all maxed out is a nice crutch to have when you don't know how to run an instance and would otherwise be playing horribly. Inspectors will inspect and will single out the ones who do know what they're doing and are doing more with less but not everybody has an eleven year old character and you'd think that after eleven years they'd have grasped the game mechanics of every instance, but hey they're the smart ones and everyone without an overpowered toon as a crutch making up for terrible play and lack of learning ability is an idiot. My main toon is four months old, is CR 353 and has 169 SP, I make up for not having an overpowered toon by knowing how to play and my quick learning ability. You don't need to be ultimate lord of the multiverse to run an instance properly and avoid getting wiped. No amount of eleven year old character will suffice if you don't know how to play and start inspecting people whose toons are months old when their own toon was not as good in the same amount of time and they still don't know what to do with that toon after over a decade.
    • Like x 1
  20. nawanda Loyal Player

Because the internet.
    • Like x 1