Will Smith hit Chris Rock

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by FoolsFire, Mar 28, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Controller Devoted Player

Another thing to consider....

What if Will "did" in fact - try to "Handle it better"?

Based off of the two's history would Chris have stopped? If Will pulled him aside after The Oscars?

I don't think Chris would have....I don't think he respects Will Smith or his wife. I hope I'm wrong on this and perhaps Chris WOULD HAVE stopped or apologized.

I won't be judgmental over what's been "put out there" over the years with Will Smith and Jada. It's none of my business.

To ME - I wish Chris would've AT LEAST apologized to Jada. But he hasn't even done that yet. A prime opportunity to do AT LEAST that was lost last night as he went on the road for another comedy show.
  2. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Not sure if I like the idea of someone who has been assaulted being made to apologize.
  3. Miss Adora Loyal Player

"Sigh!" Actors and Actresses were complaining because the golden globe and these other award shows weren't nominating enough people of color. So they were considered racist for that. Frankly I don't care about any of the rich entitle people who just pats themselves on the back for doing a good job at their job. How many other people in this world does the same but never get any award for their hard work?
  4. Controller Devoted Player

Do you think what Chris said about Jada was wrong?
  5. Savior Prime Dedicated Player

Look, here's my view. Will Smith thought Chris Rocks joke was funny. He was laughing as he said it until he turned and saw Jadas face. So he only did it b/c Jada said something to Will about it. Now, if on the street someone made a joke about my girls illness symptoms, not a married man or boyfriend wouldn't hesitate to put said person in his place. Right or Wrong it's the truth and anyone saying otherwise are just trying to save face after the fact of the response about Will and Chris.

All that being said. Will was double wrong b/c he and the audience actually thought the joke was funny... So the only person who was offended was Jada. And really the GI Jane comment I would see as compliment. GI Jane is a strong character fighting her way through all her obstacles. He didn't say anything about her hair directly. Will was double wrong b/c he laughed, then only hit Chris b/c of Jada's response. If Jada can't take a small joke, she shouldn't be around comedians. Will had a double standard.

I want to also remind people, Will SLAPPED Chris. He didn't punch him.

And Chris is a comedian. He knows that not everyone will like every joke and he might have people who take serious offense to his jokes. When you make a comment or joke about someone, especially when they and/or their husband/wife is right there, be prepared.
  6. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Okay, this may sound harsh but bear with me... Smith is in the wrong and should have to give the Oscar back, period. And the fact the Academy didn't immediately remove him and deny him the Oscar actual shows their hypocrisy. Think about this very carefully...I am 100% POSITIVE this is how things would have went down...

If Smith would have been white...Oscar taken away and banned for life because the Academy can't let it be shown they condone a white man striking an African-American.

If Rock would have been a woman...Oscar taken away and banned for life because the Academy can't let it be shown they condone violence against women.

But a black man hitting another black man..what's the excuse? This implies they see black-on-black violence as being different than the two forms of violence I mentioned above. And it isn't.
  7. Controller Devoted Player

Alopecia isn't a small joke, though.

Jada may not lose her life because of it, but she's lost her hair.

Hair - especially for Black Women - is a serious thing. This is what I'm trying to get folks here to UNDERSTAND.

We've been conditioned SO LONG in society that "European Features" are desired - and that INCLUDES straight, blond or black hair.

We "just" nominated a well-qualified Supreme Court Justice in Ketanji Brown Jackson. Hopefully she will be confirmed soon. She happens to be Black and SHE proudly wears HER hair like she does. This is a NEW and GREAT thing because it shows that society is gradually changing.
    • Like x 1
  8. Controller Devoted Player

For the Green - I can't agree with you totally, FF - because I'm still trying to nail folks down to the fact that what Chris Rock said was wrong and Will was acting from a provoked state but I guess society is ok with "some" forms of slights.

Not saying YOU are, FF. I just think society can be hypocritical at times because we seem to "Chose who / what to cancel".......

I've already stated how I feel about what Will did, in this thread early on. I personally don't believe he should have to give back his Oscar after he earned it. He earned it with "Pursuit of Happyness", as well.

I "am" at peace with whatever The Academy decides, though and won't argue against it.

All I'm trying to do is get folks to see how wrong it was for Chris Rock to say what he did but folks are giving him a pass because he's a comedian? Because he's Black and lovable and funny?

So what's next?

Jokes about children with diseases? But because Chris Rock is Black and funny it's ok?

When will the line be drawn? With comedy no lines exist now? Or are lines hazy because it's Chris Rock?

For the Red - This is why I posted one of my first comments in this thread about the whole thing - because I was disgusted with BOTH Will (for his reaction to the joke) AND Chris (for NOT ONLY the joke but ALSO this continued beef he has with The Smiths).

And for BOTH of them being successful Black Men and the example BOTH of them set with the incident....but OF COURSE moreso disgusted with Will..

I'm not letting Chris Rock off with this. Dude has some unspoken issues with Will and Jada, it appears. I certainly don't know the depth and scope of it all because I am FAR from those circles.

But the beef is real and has been for several years now. Chris would probably disagree with me because he's a.........

...you know.....he's a comedian.
  9. Controller Devoted Player

I don't think Rock means ill with his comment. To me I think there's some truth to it, as far as politics go.

This is one of the reasons why - I think - a character like Augustus Freeman IV - ICON - hasn't had a movie made about him.

[IMG]

You see - Icon is from Milestone (DC) comics. His creator, Dwayne McDuffie, not ONLY created him to be Superman's equal BUT ALSO gave his character diversity of thought......

Icon, you see - is a Conservative Republican. If you ever get a chance to read the ORIGINAL comics 1 - 42 of Icon both HE and his partner Rocket (Raquel Ervin) have some pretty heated and interesting discussions - not only about Bad guys but ALSO about life and politics.

Such a character flies directly in the face of what I believe Hollywood is ready to bring to the Big Screen, at least yet.

Blacks are portrayed certain ways in society and Hollywood is a bit slow to address it fully.

And make NO MISTAKE about it I am a proud Democrat. And I'm Black, lol. But I absolutely LOVE Icon and his partner Rocket.

Diversity is SO PRECIOUS in life and it's not only Skin Deep. Diversity of THOUGHT is huge as well.

Diversity of thought is crucial because we all don't think the same even if we LOOK the same.
  10. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

I don't think it was as egregious as the Smith's made it out to be and certainly didn't think it warranted a slap in the face on national TV. Did you catch the video from behind Jada when Will slapped him? She busted out laughing. She is not a good person in the least.
  11. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

He's a comedian, what I think is irrelevant. Is it a joke I would make? No.
  12. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

My point is, Hollywood and the entire entertainment and sports world accuses conservatives of being racist and yet they're accusing the awards shows of being racist which I find funny considering most of Hollywood and the entertainment world are decidedly left so are they saying the left is racist? I'm honestly confused.
  13. Controller Devoted Player

Perhaps she busted out laughing because she thought that Chris got what he deserved for the comment he made. If this was the case then I disagree with her because I don't believe physical violence is warranted for folks saying stuff. This is what I've maintained throughout this thread.

Will made the BIGGER mistake than Chris. But make no mistake about it Chris triggered it.
  14. Controller Devoted Player

I don't think Hollywood believes this of ALL Conservatives, Rock..

I do think there is a certain "Lean" to Hollywood and the Sports world but let's be real - it's been even more noted with Political Events of the last 6-7 years or so....things said.....things done.

That is NOT a condemnation on Republicans and Conservatives but on only just a FEW people....not an "Us versus Them" thing.

I don't think it's a literal thing, Rock.
  15. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

The most powerful thing comedy can do is poke at the rich and powerful. Smith suffers from a non life threatening disease. She also lives in a mansion and her husband earns tens of millions of dollars a year. Her husband is arguably one of the most powerful actors in Hollywood, people come to him to work in their movies he doesn't have to hustle looking for work. If this had been a fundraiser for a hospital and the joke had been made about a patient sitting in the crowd then an apology would be in order. But she was sitting in the front row of the most prestigious event in the world. She may have been stung, but she'll be okay.
  16. Controller Devoted Player

So Comedians can say whatever they want for a laugh?

Wow let me lift this rock off of myself because I've obviously been sleeping under one for YEARS lol.
  17. Controller Devoted Player

Thanks for elaborating, QE.

Regardless of Jada's surroundings she thought enough of her Alopecia to comment on it for one of her shows and you can see that it's a serious experience for her.

As I've stated throughout this thread - hair is a SERIOUS thing for Black Women....ALL women, too.......but ESPECIALLY Black Women because society doesn't highlight Black hair and value it.
  18. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

We are of course still making the assumption that Rock knew she had this condition, which isn't a sure thing. I had no idea.
  19. Controller Devoted Player

Chris "claims" he didn't know....but AGAIN...

He's a COMEDIAN. And a LOVABLE one at that. So what can be believed?

He's ALSO had a WILD fascination with The Smiths over the years, too - look it up.

There's beef there and I'm not talking about the Meat section of Food Lion.
  20. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Yeah, they do. Believe me, I know from experience.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.