Spending SP in the Messy Middle

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by FreezyPop, Mar 21, 2022.

1. FreezyPop Well-Known Player

I was curious if folks have a preferred strategy for spending skill points when they don't have enough to actually max a primary stat. Most build guides reasonably concentrate on where you want your SP allocation to wind up when you've earned enough, but I've wondered about how to spend "as you go" for best effect.

So, for example, while you want to take all you can in your crits for a DPS build, while you're still low-mid range, do you

* Max out Crit chance one SP at a time, then max out crit damage, then start building might / prec

OR

* Spend on crit chance just until you unlock crit damage, then spend there until you unlock might / prec for the first one or two percentage bumps? Basically, spending SP in a rough proportion of where you'll eventually want to end up when you have a more optimal pool of SP to spend.

(or, obviously, some other strategy that is neither of those)?

Right now I have juuuuust enough SP to max out Dom on my ice tank build, but (entirely unscientifically), I've found that a build where I put some of those points into health / resto (I think I have around 40 in each of those on my less min-maxed loadout) seems to have slightly more survivability in most content (clamped and un).
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Crits are more important but I think investing at least 5 points into your primary stat is a safe move.
    • Like x 3
  3. iEddyGaming Active Player

Agreed with Lorax. Crits are definitely more important than primary stats. As you level up, you will be stats with the gear but your gear does not give you critical chance or critical damage. If you are at early stage of the game, maxing out crit chance and then moving on to maxing out crit damage would be the right move in my opinion. Good luck :)
    • Like x 3
  4. Berza Committed Player

Since Lorax and Deity covered already your question about crits, I am going to give my opinion about this point. While I would suggest that you keep some SP on health, I wouldn't go up to 40 SP, I would stay on 30 (not 29,not 31). Those 30 SP will add a 5% to your bonuses. If you use another 10 you will get only another 1%,which is a pretty low bonus. I am not counting on the raw stats gained because at such low amount of SP it is barely noticeable.
    About Resto, that is more complex. Since shield formula is 150% Dom + 115% Resto, apparently you should not invest in Resto any SP that you can use for Dom. But here is where you need to test and do some math. Since I don't play tank I can't give you exact numbers, so you will need to test yourself. You will need to calculate how much shield strength you lose or win taking some SP out of Dom, which nets you a noticeable loss of raw stats since the higher SP invested in a stat, the higher the raw stats provided; and putting those SP in Resto for the % bonus increase. Reply or DM me if you need further help with the testing.
    • Like x 1
  5. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I always go for crit chance first
    then crit mag
    then to at least 100 in primary stat for the 10% boost as fast as possible
    • Like x 1
  6. Max Maximus Well-Known Player

The two are very similar, even in the photo, they're making the face of someone who ate and didn't like it, but this is iEddyGaming, not Deity
  7. Berza Committed Player

Oops sorry.
    • Like x 1
  8. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

When you are grinding for gear one major factor that you don’t want to overlook is power consumption. Power consumption is scaled with your cr. The higher you are the more powers cost. Because of this is you speed through to endgame and end up with few sp you’ll find yourself starving for power once you are no longer buffed to the minimum stats in on duty. Because of that I do recommend putting points into might/power as soon as you can. I’ll do a little breakdown.

Until you can get some sp I would recommend getting superpowered spec even if you are a prec dps when starting out. This is to get better power regen. Then you put enough sp into your crits to unlock your 3rd row. I would recommend trying to put 60 points into might/power if you’re might based or 20 if your are prec based. If you are prec based put 20 into precision after putting 20 into might/power. From there you can finish maxing out your crits.

After maxing your crits farm sp to put into might/power as might. For precision I would try putting 60 total into your might/power if you are having power issues. If you are fine with power consumption than you can start putting them into precision instead. With precision you can switch from superpowered spec to weapon mastery when you can utilize other power options. One example is using cyborg ally for the passive. Again, this is all based on how you feel with power usage.

For power consumption you can use the cyborg and Batman who laughs for passives since they both help with power regen. Also, if you are a new player try leveling your supply drop in your mainframe to have a source of power. You can also use a sidekick as one of your trinket slots since it can slightly help with power. And don’t rush your bottled city soder. Until it gets to past the middle stages it will barely return any power. You are better off using vendor colas.

How’d you know I would reply??? Lol jk

Also, you only need 20 points to get the 5% buff from sp (thou now you have me second guessing lol).

He was seeing into the future lol
    • Like x 1
  9. Berza Committed Player

I saw the Lantern avatar and since this is the type of thread you would reply to, I just supposed it was you.
    And you need 30 sp for 5%, at 20sp you get 4% -> 5sp = 1%; 10sp = 2%; 15sp = 3%; 20sp = 4%; 30sp = 5%.
  10. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Gotcha. I usually put 20 because it’s the most “bang for your buck”. Thanks for clearing that up
    • Like x 1