I want a Star Sapphire powerset in DCUO

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Aaron159Z, Apr 26, 2017.

1. DrakoTheGhoul Active Player

Indigo is probably the best bet for the next Lantern Healer Power(though its least requested) it can heal in comics(Also in-game it also heals 2) and channel other rings(Heroes could channel Hope while Villains channel Greed). Also the Faction of the Indigo Tribe is Neutral and they're also made up of murderers so it would work well for both Heroes and Villains.
  2. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Okay I'm confused because from what I read it "sounds" like you want a Star Sapphire that can become any of the three different support roles. I base this on your first post where you listed all three, Tank,troll, and Healer, and what you expected those roles to be able to accomplish. At first I just assumed you were giving the Dev team options and would be happy to have one of those role but then in another post you mention again being able to Tank and troll.

You are aware that its totally impossible to have powers that allow you to assume more than one support role? Or are you? Every power set allows the player to be either a DPS (damage dealer) or one of the three support roles. There is no Tank/Troll power set and unless they revamped the entire game its never going to happen.

Now to seriously burst your bubble... The chances you will ever see a Star Sapphire power set in game are slim. Players have been begging for a Blue Lantern set forever and that has not happened. No idea if the Dev team is even considering it. Now here is why getting either of those power sets is very remote

Blue Lanterns are decidedly a hero group. So in order to create a Blue Lantern power set the Devs would need to come up with a matching power set for the villain side. Now when the original Hard Light power was introduced that was simple.. Give the heroes a green ring and the Villains a yellow one and make the powers DPS/Control. When they added the Red Lanterns it was even easier since Red Lanterns are considered Anti heroes and have been portrayed in the comics in both Hero and Villain roles. so they simply gave the exact same powers and color ring to both factions.

Now that is where the problems arise with Sapphires. The Star Sapphires have been both hero and villlans in comics so that part is covered however Star Sapphires are females and pretty much just like the Amazons have no male members at all.. The one exception was a story line where John Stewart became a Sapphire so that creates a situation where possibly thousands of players ignore the power completely because they want to play as a male. Now while there is nothing preventing a player from taking the power set and simply using it on a male another problem suddenly appears.

Not sure if you are aware but the Devs can't just suddenly decide to create anything in this game. The management at both DC Comics and at Warner Brothers have the right to veto any idea that team may come up with and it just does not happen. Now I can't recall exactly how long it took but years ago players were begging for green aura in game mostly to use with the Green Lantern characters they'd created. More than a year passed, if not longer, before DC comics finally decided it was okay for a green aura in game. So the chances DC Comics would be just fine with the notion of a huge number of players in this game running around with Sapphire powers as male toons when they specifically wrote the comics to have them as an all female group just does not seem likely.
    • Like x 1
  3. Hamurabi Jones Committed Player

I didn't report you, buddy. I've been rooting for you since day one(?), but you don't take to constructive criticism well, if at all. Here's some free if unsolicited advice:

1. People like to talk about themselves. If you want to make friends, listen and ask questions
    2. If you want to be a good person, surround yourself with good people. If you want to be an intelligent person, surround yourself with intelligent people.
    3. A conversation isn't about waiting for the other person to finish speaking just so you can hit them with whatever you've got readied. It's about the difference between talking to and talking at.
    4. Failures blame others first when things go awry. Successful people blame themselves.
    And just as important:

And even more important:
  4. DC Urban Committed Player

We may not even get water
    • Like x 3
  5. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

And I wondered just how long it would take to get you back on this warped subject just like the other thread. Couple of questions spring to my mind when you start talking like this

1. Just exactly how old are you? Because I'm not saying there are not full grown males out there that are just as diluted about females but frankly the attitude you express over and over again on these forums makes you appear to be a very young boy with almost no real experience dealing with women.

2. Obviously you don't come from the USA so what country do you live in? I know certain things are different in other parts of the world but most European countries still have progressed to where thinking a female is totally helpless and must be protected by a strong male have long since faded away. Most even have females serving in their Police Forces and their Military.

and

3. Do you actually READ comics? There will never be a male population on the island of Themyscira. The DC Comic lore states that the Amazons were created by the gods with the task of protecting all of man kind. At some point due to a long and bloody battle against the forces of Ares they abandoned the world of man and were granted refuge on Themyscira which was hidden from the view of man so the Amazons could live in peace. They were immortal so they had no need for men to keep their population strong.

Now that's the DC Comic version.. Greek mythology paints them as being even nastier. They were fierce warriors that had no trouble at all defeating an all male army in just about any battle. The way they keep their population high? While most of the time they had no desire to even look at a male without the urge to split their skull open with a sword about once or twice a year they would "VISIT" a neighboring kingdom and use the males to get pregnant. At birth the females were then nurtured and trained to be warriors just like their mothers.. The male children were taken back and given to the tribe they had visited because, once again, the Amazons wanted nothing to do with having any male in their midst.

So use either mythology you like but exactly where do you get even the faintest idea that they are "helpless" females and that eventually males will come and protect them?

Now in your other thread you were desperately seeking a female to follow you around in game and allow you to protect her. I said it over there and I'll say it again. The females playing this game are here because they like comics and want to play a strong female super hero. With your outlook and attitude the chances you will ever actually find one willing to team up with you are all but non existent. Frankly if you did find a female toon willing to wander around behind you and let you do all the fighting.. its probably a male letting you level them up.
    • Like x 2
  6. SigmaAtom Committed Player

I both do and don't like this idea :)

I do like it coz that means we dont have to wait for a Lantern Healer.. but don't coz that means there would be less incentive to create one.

If you check out my link Sophie, I suggest with a Lantern Healer, we get the ability to switch rings to other Lantern Healer powers, if hero and female, you would have access to Blue Lantern, Indigo Tribe and SS ring with matching powers.

It's unlikely DB will do a powerset for each, as each would suit being a healer, so having one Lantern Healer powerset and the ability to switch rings, saves; money, time and would great source of fun for fans. Also a little nod and keeps cannon to the comics in that Lanterns can switch rings. :)
    • Like x 2
  7. Myk El New Player

Rezzing a dead thread here.

Personally, I find it quite annoying that Star Sapphire was never added as a power, especially since the Valentine's event keeps giving us more Sapphire cosmetics. It feels taunting and downright condescending after so long. I'm not really sure what the true reason behind their avoiding adding new powers is, I'm sure whatever reason given will be quite flimsy, if not outright false.
    Considering how many discount Sapphire players I still see flying around, it's clear that demand for it is still quite high.

When it comes to which role a Sapphire should fill, Healing makes the most sense. On one hand, we already have Light filling Controller and Rage filling Tank; it avoids a bit of redundancy and rounds it out quite nicely. In turn, one can say "Love" best nurtures and restores, but that's effectively a moot point. Anyone can argue that any power can fill any role they think works. The point could even be made that Daybreak could overhaul the game and allow any power swap between any of the roles; the roles each one fulfills is largely arbitrary as it is based on one's thematic impressions of what each power conveys to them. That's subjective sentiment, not objective reasoning.
    Aesthetically, Sapphire would be more visually stimulating than the remaining Lantern Corps, as there's very little in the way that would distinguish Blue, Indigo, and Orange from Green/Yellow; what qualities would they reflect that would lend to distinct constructs? Sapphires, being steeped in "love" would clearly lend to at least some cutesy heart elements, not unlike the floating hearts the Extra Life drones generate. As for what the constructs proper take the shape of, I'm sure many ideas could be conceived of that convey the sense of love.
    We could also argue that Daybreak is clearly trying to maintain a strict color coding to the powers to avoid overlapping, which is why each power is so monochromatic. We have Quantum with a blue hue, Ice being a paler blue. Fire and Nuclear are reddish-orange. Mental is purple. Part of Celestial is a paler purple, if not indigo hue. There's no true "pink" power as of yet, and despite being called "Violet Lanterns," the Sapphires are decidedly pink in hue.
    The only other lantern power I could reasonably justify being added to the game would be Orange, if just to have a pet emphasis, as Larfleeze relies upon creating humanoid constructs to take the place of a full corps. Blue and Indigo otherwise don't provide much that would distinguish them from the rest. While Indigo has the tribal motif among its membership, there's nothing suggesting that their constructs, nor the Blue's, would be thematically interesting. Yes, art design is a significant part of game decisions; everything visual has to be decided upon and rendered, and some cosmetics are avoided if they're deemed even a bit too uninteresting. Consider that Rage relies heavily upon the blood plasma motif, and chain constructs, separating it from the generic whimsical constructs of Light. Hence, Sapphires are the only other corps that would truly provide an aesthetic that defines itself beyond being yet another Lantern Corps that generates light constructs.
    We could also argue that Blue and Indigo are too steeped in the "Hero" vein (bear in mind that the Indigo Tribe are reformed villains, meaning they are heroic as lanterns, despite their former alignment), while Orange is entirely villainous. Carol Ferris, and even Fatality, began as a villain, but was changed to be more heroic, allowing for justification on both sides.

I think the main reason the devs might avoid adding Sapphire as a power, least of all as a healing one, is that they may find it veers too much into the "Girlfriend Role" that some among the gaming community find offensive, even though it would obviously be available for male characters. Which ties into the cosmetic limitation in how they implemented the existing Sapphire outfit, which is female-only, and would make some players complain about the lack of a proper Sapphire outfit for males, who would have to rely upon the emblem and piecing together their own outfit from other styles. A quick fix could be implemented that creates a male variant of the Heart of the Predator style, as well as a female variant of the Manhunter outfit, depending on how willing their armor artists are in making that. Although, that itself runs the risk of them botching the existing outfits if they decide to "touch them up."
    I'm sure most have realized that Daybreak's recent armor artist is decidedly political in how many female chest styles are now enforcing mastectomies, causing some players to feel annoyed with the inconsistency with their female characters' shapes, some even questioning why it's important at all to force female characters to look utterly flat chested to avoid "offending" those who never took issue to begin with.
  8. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Yes please, I think we can all use some love given how things are in the real world. I’m sure if we show a lot of love to DC comics we can potentially have DCUO get approved to have that as a new powerset.
  9. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Healing my ***. A Star Sapphire should be a tank, those Zamaron crystals are not soft. :p
    • Like x 1
  10. Ergotth Committed Player

• Like x 1
  11. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

Personally, I would attribute the sapphire to a tank, as love => attraction, so "attracted to it" rather than a healer or lantern haeler would most likely be a blue lantern and then, I think it wouldn't hurt to have another colour for the tank, for those who can't stand the red of Rage :p
  12. UnleashedBrevard Committed Player

She would become a controller the last 3 Powers was Munitions, Atomic , Water so if they keep the order as it is then it would be Controller.
  13. Ergotth Committed Player

Not if they already have another Controller and Tank power in line so Star Sapphires would be last and be a healer.
  14. Lovora Liaht Well-Known Player

If/When we do get a Star Sapphire Powerset...if it is a Controller power...I would be SOOOOO HAPPY!! LOL!
    Heck, the way how the Star Sapphire NPCs and Carol Ferris herself in game attack us...all they do is stun us with Violet tentacles and encase us in Violet crystals. Very much like a Controller powerset.

I think Blue or Indigo would make a great Lantern Healer though.

Black Lantern would be a cool Tank in my opinion as well.
  15. Jaelia Committed Player

Yes yes yes
  16. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

Look at my signature at least you can dream of it :p
  17. Myk El New Player

These retorts are probably contributing to Daybreak never adding the power into the game if people are already expressing vehement displeasure at it not being the role they demand. Again, Light is already Controller, and Rage is already Tank. Why would they add another lantern power to be either of those when they could make it Healing? As said, Daybreak obviously doesn't like adding powers much to begin with, just look at the time between each post-release power. The last one was Water, back in 2017. It's going on six years since they've added a power, and they haven't said anything about adding a new one since.

There's next-to-no chance that they'll add all the lantern powers into the game, so if they were to add one of the remaining lanterns, the most aesthetically intriguing would no doubt be Sapphire, as it could be the most distinguished. White/Black would ultimately have to be a joined power akin to Light, no doubt those would fall into the tank category, and would necessitate Daybreak having to develop two distinct power aesthetics into one, which would be expensive and time consuming. What's more, canon would make their addition iffy because they're supposed to be event-exclusive to Blackest Night. Blue could heal, but wouldn't realistically work for villains; orange is the only other villain lantern corps but we don't typically see Larfleeze healing anyone. That would leave Indigo on its own, and as said, it couldn't work canonically for villains. Since Daybreak doesn't add powers for one faction, there's no real way to add Blue, Orange and Indigo that would suit the lore while also making sense for the game mechanics.

The only lantern corps that could work for both heroes and villains would be Sapphire, making it the most likely to be added. Since there's already controller and tank lanterns, it would make the most logical sense to make Sapphire healer.
    The way NPCs use their powers doesn't matter. Shazam and Black Adam would fall into Electricity, yet obviously neither of them heal, both would be considered "tanks." If their being tanks didn't compel Daybreak to make Electricity the tank role, there's no reason why any existing Sapphire NPC would have any bearing upon how the power is packaged to players.

The only way to make all the lantern powers available is by them finally breaking down the Hero/Villain dichotomy factions, and that's not likely going to happen. And as I said before, any power can be rationalized to fulfill any role, but we're not likely going to see Daybreak overhaul all the powers to work for all three roles, either. Fire isn't solid, yet it's depicted as tank rather than controller. Zamaron crystals might be solid, but they could also heal. Don't rely on biased narrow-minded ideas to justify your bias. I'm not saying I want the hypothetical Sapphire power to be healer, I'm simply saying it would make the most sense based on how everything is packaged to players via game mechanics.
  18. Lovora Liaht Well-Known Player

Hello (^_^)

I respect your opinions and thoughts.
  19. Kayla El Committed Player

I would really love to see in 2023 a lantern power for healers as well and Star Sapphire's in my opinion seem to be the best choice! As others have already said it before, the power of love can either heal or cause harm to a person, and it could work just like rage for both factions!
  20. Tolly Committed Player

I'm also of the opinion that Sapphire would be more appropriate for a tank, as love = attraction to a person, plus it would allow a tank with a ring without the complexity of a rage tank, when it comes to a ring heal lantern blues are the ones that would fit best, as no need to debate the comics have shown it enough, plus lantern blues healing can also work on lantern rages and probably other lantern corps.

Sapphire should play something about "attraction" after all.