Should Tanks Group Enemies?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SethZoulMonEl, Feb 12, 2022.

1. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

As a tank, I typically pull minions into a group. I was told to stop pulling them away from someone who was jackhammering on top of them. Are tanks no longer supposed to pull enemies into groups?
    • Like x 1
  2. ClowninAround Well-Known Player

Always group them. Screw that guy lol. If he wants to Jackhammer, he can jump into the pile you make.
    • Like x 12
  3. Proxystar #Perception

I'm guilty of having a bit too much fun with a lasso sometimes dragging trash up a hallway until the very end, but theoretically no, you shouldn't be actively pulling them away from someone doing Jackhammer as the purpose is to kill the adds.

Probably needs more context as to what you were doing and why you had that response
    • Like x 2
  4. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

League Hall: Security Breach. Specifically, we were in the room where people are supposed to get the four consoles that randomly jump around the room to secure the room. I've always pulled the adds between the two boom tubes to keep them from attacking the rest of the group while they did the consoles.
    • Like x 2
  5. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I was taught that the tank creates the pile, and damage players wait for it to form, but I've been reading other playstyles lately, so I'm open to changing how I play if it benefits groups more for me to be flexible.
  6. Trykz Dedicated Player

1.make a pile
    2. Burn the pile
    3. Repeat
    • Like x 12
  7. Trykz Dedicated Player

Now depending on what kind of deeps I’m running with, That will determine whether I’m dragging hallways or not, muni ice rage some others have no problem burning on the move. Others like the aforementioned jackhammer’s require pauses.
    • Like x 2
  8. Proxystar #Perception

Sorry, it's been ages since I ran that one, so don't remember the finer details, however if there is a task being undertaken and burn isn't really a priority and you're say pulling the adds away from others and an Earth DPS is moaning you're doing that then on face value I'd probably say, screw that DPS they can go have a sulk in the corner.

In general you're correct here, the tank should be creating the pile, the only reason I mentioned in my first post I'm guilty of stringing adds along is because I know that sometimes, annoys, some, players, not all players, but some. but as a tank it's incredibly fun! :)

Probably moreso players that are doing things like Jackhammer because they're doing in a static melee position and moving the adds again makes them have to keep restarting.

Ultimately it's no big deal, however I guess just don't make someone so frustrated they get upset and if it is a case like in your first scenario, where you're not on face value doing anything wrong, then just ignore them and keep doing what you're doing.
    • Like x 2
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Yes to grouping mobs together if they're in near proximity. No to dragging a small mob from one end of the hallway to the other, that does get annoying.
    • Like x 5
  10. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Yep, I've read those threads. I try to go grab the next group and bring it back to the first group instead of having everyone chasing me.
    • Like x 5
  11. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

It depends. On pug groups I take 1 group of add at a time because there are always 2 or 3 guys who dont realize saving orbitals and supercharges for a group of adds is better than for a individual one and they end up wasting them bc I moved the adds. Plus there is always that one individual who thinks its a good idea to stop for 5 minutes just to open the console text chat and type "WhY ArE YOu PuLLIng ThE ADdS ToghETer, FOLloW ThE MEchAnICs".

Now on league/friend runs I do exactly what Lorax said not to do. In the Prison Break raid for example on the console/turret room Id just pull every single add together so the group could burn them down quickly.
    • Like x 1
  12. Trykz Dedicated Player

Yup great move.
    • Like x 3
  13. Plowed In Loyal Player

I’m also not a fan of the tank leading, approaching a tight group of 2 or 3 adds, and using their long pull to bring them to the tank rather than just lunging in to the already formed pile. Why reorganize what’s already organized?
    • Like x 2
  14. Trykz Dedicated Player

This is something I tell new tankbys all the time. Never pull adds into the group lol.
    • Like x 2
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Meh...I'm not a fan of standing still except where it's needed like a boss fight. While I won't go up the hall at breakneck speed, I will group the bulk of the adds in a vicinity (like what shows up on the mini map) up as best I can. If that guy wants to jackhammer the lonely add at the beginning of a hallway, he can start again when he catches up to the pile. In a boss fight 100% you should be pulling the adds unless there is a strategic need not to (or a feat or something).

I agree with Clownin....screw that guy.
    • Like x 4
  16. GregTheFarmer Active Player

Yes, you're supposed to pull them off people and keep the attention on you. If the earth DPS wants to hug the tank and jackhammer the adds...then thats on him and if he dies to the adds because of AoE attacks, thats on them and them only.
    • Like x 5
  17. Shazammm Well-Known Player

I agree with the majority here. That guy was an idiot. If an Earth character wants to stand in one place then they should be in Tank mode. If they're not the tank, they can feel free to follow the tank around and smash where the tank chooses.
    • Like x 2
  18. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Tank is the boss. If you’re doing your job well/ right then you do what you want. That player was just a whiner.
    • Like x 4
  19. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

Always group them. Screw that guy lol. If he wants to Jackhammer, he can jump into the pile you make.[/quote]

Yep exactly this and tell him to cry more and get with the program lol but seriously work smart not harder.
    • Like x 2
  20. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

I've seen soooo many jackhammering nincompoops in recent weeks. KO'n to Sinestro in the new duo, never moving for a game mechanic or counter mechanic'n when appropriate.
    @jackhammering [IMG]

and yes to grouping mobs up. It takes one mob encounter to realize if the tank intends to do so or not, and adjust play accordingly. Heck, if I'm controller role, I'll slide over turn a further mob to ghosts and run past the mob we started with to pull them towards the others sometimes.