Character suggestions

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Leloes, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Leloes Well-Known Player

Could anyone suggest what character it is best to make? I usually play a mage but not really sure who I should mentor under. Superman? Batman? Wonder Woman? Thanks for all your suggestions!
  2. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Mentor doesn't really matter too much, just in the beginning it gives you slightly different stories and missions.

It's best just to pick a power and give it a try. There's several powers to choose from, basically it's choosing do you want to:
    Tank (fire and ice if you're free to play)
    Heal (sorcery or nature if free)
    Controller (gadgets and mental if free)

All powers can dps (do damage).
    • Like x 1
  3. Leloes Well-Known Player

As a newbie which would be best for me?
  4. fm0987 Committed Player

As in sorcery? Depends, if your subbed, I’d say try them all and see what you like (will take a while lol). Me personally I’m not real particular about any one power but I like earth (my “main”), rage, light, been playing quantum a bit. Wasn’t a huge fan of elec, muni or atomic. Gadget and mental I liked too, ice sorcery ok, rest meh, for me anyway. Though most of my “testing” was pretty brief for the most part.
  5. Leloes Well-Known Player

Okay, this a big one. Which is the easiest to play? Oh, one other thing. What do I get if I sub?
  6. fm0987 Committed Player

Depends, combo powers aren’t “hard” per se, just take some getting used to. But if you play might base a lot of the powers are basically just 1234 loadouts.
  7. Leloes Well-Known Player

Hmmmm....not really sure what to do. Why doesn't it matter which is the mentor?
  8. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Because once you get to level 30 your mentor doesn't matter, they stop giving you missions as you move into episode content (DLCs). Past level 30 your gameplay will be a mix of various open world missions and On Duty content that have nothing to do with what mentor you chose.

As for what powerset to choose it depends on what flavor of mage you like playing: Fire and Ice plays closer to classic Mage classes. Sorcery plays more along the lines of a Warlock class. Nature plays like a Druid class. Gadgets is the "tech ninja" class and Mental is similar to a Mage/Rogue combo.
  9. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

First off. Welcome to DCUO, I hope you have a lot of fun with your time here.

The mentors just give you a starting point and 3 extra unique storylines. As I have heard the original devs had ideas for more out of mentors but it didn't pan out for the potential growth of the game, so they went with what we have now.

As for your questions about powers. What is easiest or not depends on your normal play style. The best advice I always give is pick what looks interesting to you and try it out. If you don't like it, you can always try something else. This also goes for weapons and movement.

You can always check out video guides for most of your questions. One of our forumites MAGNETOxxFirstClass will most likely pop in with videos from is youtube channel at any moment (he can sense a new potential viewer from anywhere :D).
    • Like x 1
  10. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

A few things:
    1) Mentors change about 5 or so levelling up missions, you will notice a difference if you dont skip CR and until level 30. Superman starts on metropolis Little Bohemia, helping flash vs grodd. Batman starts on gotham fighting scarecrow. WW starts on Chinatown Metropolis fighting Felix Faust (? Cant remember). The final battles are agaisnt Lex, Joker and Circe, respectively. There are a few difference missions in between, but those are the most noticeable.

2) Powers are about choosing your role first of all. If you want ONLY to DPS, every power is a option. If you want to dps and something else or just something else, then pick the role first.

Tanks are well, tanks. Fire is the healing tank, ice is the shield tank, atomic is the control tank, earth is the pet/mitigation tank, rage is a mix of shields and healing back. Although this seems simple, tank is the hardest and most diverse role.

Healers heal... Water is the shield healer, you can just spam shields to death with water. Sorcery can use pets and supercharge spam. Celestial, nature and eletricity dont have much different besides visuals and power interations, so if you are going for 1 of the three, choose based on which one you like the most in bisuals or lore. Healer is a very straightfoward role.

Controllers give power back, devuff enemies, buff allies and stunn ememies, in some missions they used to get special roles, but thats rare. Controllers are pretty much the same, for someone starting I'd say gadgets could play different because it has the holographic decoy ability, which protects teammates from enemies, but other than that controllers are mostly about visuals.

Every power is a dps power, they can play very different but right now Id choise based on what you like, most powers are balanced, but some are more manageable.
    Combo DPS: Celestial, atomic, light and to some extent water/earth are combo dps, so most abilities based on your power loadout will rely on multiple inputs to maximize damage (mostly for the first 3)
    Pet DPS: Earth and sorcery. Both have a exclusive pet option to use in your loadout, its not mandatory though, but if you pike summoning stuff, thats for you (specially sorc)
    Shapeshifting: Nature. Nature can turn into a gorilla or a wolf for example, in my opnion thats the best part of the power, but everything else looks like straight from a 2010 PS3.
    Munitions: Probably the easiest power to play at a lower level, it pretty much plays for itself, you press a button and the character does the animation. Dont choose this one if you dont like the visuals just because its easy, the game is hard to master, but you can do decent with anything.
    All other powers have their specifics, but nothing plays very differently to mention for a new player.

Typed from my phone so a lot of weird stuff out there lol.
    • Like x 1
  11. Leloes Well-Known Player

Okay, I think I get all this. Which would best for basically soloing? I have a feeling that's what I'll end up doing mainly.
  12. Leloes Well-Known Player

I'm not really asking for how to design a character. More for input on what would be best for a person who basically solos. I'm leaning towards a mage with a pet...but would just like some input as to how soloable he would be...
  13. Leloes Well-Known Player

Okay after taking all this in. I'll tell you what I'm thinking...you tell me what choice would be best...mage, has pet, can fly....
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Sorcery.
  15. Leloes Well-Known Player

Okay so what path would I take?
  16. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

What do you mean?
  17. Leloes Well-Known Player

Oh, sorry...I mean who should I start out with? Or does it really matter?
  18. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It does not really matter. If you want to follow a magic story arch than choose Wonder Woman.
  19. Leloes Well-Known Player

Okay...Thanks!
  20. Leloes Well-Known Player

Actually I like all of them.