why isn't there a tutorial menu?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Whodini, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Whodini Well-Known Player

Seriously. Just a menu on the options tab with repeatable tutorials

- powers
    - roles
    - queuing/shouting for group content
    - countering
    - artifacts
    - augments
    - etc...

I know some folks who are coming back to the game after a long absence or just starting to play, and I have to explain everything to them. The one-time in-game explanation missions just don't cut it.
    • Like x 5
  2. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

That is one of the reasons why my Channel exists.

People needed tutorials for a bunch of stuff.... sometimes very basic stuff..... so I would make a video about it.

If you don't want to explain everything..... send them my way.

Odds are... I made a video about it. :)
    • Like x 5
  3. Whodini Well-Known Player

I've always loved your videos, especially getting a good look at all the chromas and materials. Thanks for all the hard work!
    • Like x 3
  4. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

They give a tutorial on how to counter when you first make a character. It’s been like this for years.
  5. Whodini Well-Known Player

So if you've been gone for several years (or more likely just brushed over the tutorial the first time), you would have to create a new character to redo the tutorial.

It's not like early content forces you to counter in order to succeed.
    • Like x 1
  6. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Seeing as your signature only shows one character it’s safe to assume you just ignored the tutorial and that falls under your fault. I have many toons, I make lots of alts both on Xbox, PC, PlayStation and Switch. And every single time I would have to make a new character the tutorial talks about countering mechanics.
  7. Emoney Dedicated Player

Yup, and that's about it for combat. Bases are explained in a mission, so are artifacts and the first time you open the augment menu, that's explained.

My hangups are the things that have never been explained but require others to tell you, or find out by experimenting. Things like the chat options, using, creating and joining channels. Also, simple things like changing targets, and zooming the screen in and out. How to use the broker and search for stuff by filter. I'm sure there are plenty more things like those, I just can't recall.
    • Like x 1
  8. Whodini Well-Known Player

I have several alts, but are you assuming ALL players have created several characters?

Having a repeatable tutorial eliminates all variables (alts? been away a while? simply don't remember the tutorial?)

Honestly I don't know why anyone would be against this. How does it hurt anything? Why are you against educating the player base?
    • Like x 1
  9. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

It’s no one’s fault but yourself if you don’t know how to counter when the game gives you a tutorial. You’re the one whose against educating players because you choose to brush it off as you put it.
  10. Whodini Well-Known Player

There seems to be a lack of reading comprehension.

I never said I didn't know how to counter (I've been playing since launch). I mentioned my suggestion in respect to new players and people I know who have returned after long absences. Are you seriously telling me you haven't played with players who were clueless about basic aspects of the game? I see it all the time. An educated player base makes for a better game.

And all do respect to Multiverse, Obsidian, and the rest of the awesome folks who go out of their way to make their content. The ACTUAL GAME should explain these things to new players. A REPEATABLE tutorial would go a long way toward this. It's not like this would take away from other content or ruffle anyone's feathers in the process.
    • Like x 1
  11. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

The game does explain these things to new players but you advocating to have it be repeatable because you yourself brushed it off and that would only influence new players to do the same. Instead you should advocate for new players to not brush off important aspects of the game such as the tutorial to counter mechanics.
  12. Whodini Well-Known Player

Never said that I myself brushed it off, just giving examples of why players may have not learned what they need to know from what amounts to a one-time tutorial mission.

I play with players all the time that don't understand the importance of leveling artifacts/augments...or don't understand what "aggro" means. Simple things we take for granted can frustrate new or causal players. They then get yelled at for being newbs. Rage quitting ensues. Our community isn't the best at helping new players if you haven't noticed.

Repeating the tutorial missions by creating a new character makes no sense. Again I ask, why are you against a organized knowledge base for the game?
    • Like x 1
  13. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

It takes less time to actually make a new character and go through the tutorial than it takes to defeat FOS3. Countering mechanics hasn’t changed it’s still the same as it always was if I’m not mistaken. If it’s not broken why try to fix it? Countering mechanics is part of basic fighting. This should be basic knowledge. Players shouldn’t have to brush it off. If they return to the game and it’s been years they should still be able to remember how to counter. All you need to do is block, a basic button action, hold triangle for the block break another basic combat and lunging. New players don’t have to worry about forgetting this simple tutorial because they would have learned it from the beginning since they are still new.

I’m only against this which is why I only commented on counters. Simple solution, don’t brush tutorials. I’m okay with a menu for powers, roles, augments and artifacts. The game itself allows you to skip the leveling tutorial and if turns out players do this only to not realize how important the tutorial was then it’s on them. As I said new players don’t have to worry because they have to go to the tutorial.
  14. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

??? Not anymore.
    The 3 robots are gone.

How long since you created a new character??
    That has been changed two+ years ago.

• Like x 1
  15. Whodini Well-Known Player

Just to be clear, I just threw a bunch of suggestions against the wall. There are a ton of things people need tutorials on. I think making them available in-game as fun little missions that you could queue up anytime would make them more accessible and therefore more likely to be utilized.

I remember when I took a break a few years ago...I came back to augments and artifacts. If it wasn't for multiverse and obsidian chill I would have felt very lost/unprepared. The little missions they give you don't really give you a lot of info and you end up feeling around in the dark. It can be daunting to an inexperienced player. Luckily I knew that good ol' youtube would have my back.
  16. JeanGrey Active Player

I would like an ingame tutorial or tips menu, don't want to leave the game to refresh my memory. Also would love a way we could get some tips of the mechanics for elite raids while in game.
  17. Akaiko Well-Known Player

Yes, they should at the very least have all those tutorial popups easily accessible somewhere. They did make them and they really shouldn't be one-offs.
  18. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

The three robots maybe gone but the tutorial is still there.
  19. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

I apologize Whodini thank you for bringing this thread to light. Im going to make some important and serious points here.

1. I made a new account on a different platform such as Xbox. On that new account I have never reached level 10 or 30 yet I was still granted the cr skip. That is extremely wrong for new players who don’t know any important basic functions such as counter mechanics or the roles yet they are given that luxury to cr skip to 310?? How is that even helpful to new players? It only encourages them to ignore these important aspects of the game

2. When inside the brainiac ship the giant spider robot gives a red skull yet no explanation about it plus it poses no threat to me or anyone who try’s it. Skulls above enemies head is extremely important because it hints you that a strong attack is going to happen and you need to block but none of that was said. Furthermore the only explanation I got from that tutorial was to know what block is which only states that it reduces damage.

3. The counter mechanics have been removed from the tutorial, no explanation on this. In fact, the tutorial is a total waste of time. Before I accepted to go through the tutorial it gave me the option to skip the tutorial and this is from a new player perspective as that new account has nothing, absolutely nothing yet I’m still able to skip it.

I figured the counter mechanics explanation would show up later at a different level but I already leveled him up to level 7 and still nothing. I need some explanation as to why this is so. Instead what I got was just the game telling me the UI of what your mission is, your journal, gear etc….
  20. Star King Active Player

I don't care what level anyone starts at, the tutorial should be real tutorial and made mandatory for the first new character created for new and returning players whohave been away for X amount of time. Also, if returning player has been asway from the game for 2 years or more they should have their previous characters deleted or locked up until after they create a new character and go through they tutorial again.