So is the Batman who laughs going to be DCUO's joker going forward?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Burning_Baron, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

From another thread (if Joker returned):
    "I bring this up often, and tbh, I really believe Mark Hamill would come back for this :) He is just that awesome! He has been known to even do voice acting for free! This could be a perfect nostalgia chance for him."
  2. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Hamill has definitely retired from the role. He's said so many times how it damages his voice and he hasn't come back to the role for years now since saying he retired.

At this point though, they could easily recast Joker with Troy Baker. If you've seen the Long Halloween you know Baker does a near perfect Hamill Joker. They wouldn't even need to replace Hamill's parts because they'd be so close.

The problem with adding more Joker is that Joker is a street level threat so doesn't really fit into the cosmic power levels direction all of the updates of this game have taken for years now. They'd constantly have to give him powerups and boosts in the narrative to justify him being involved, and it would get tired fast -- all just to have him there.
    • Like x 3
  3. BumblingB I got better.

I detest anything metal, including the BWL.
    • Like x 3
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

From Mepps in 2019 :

It's time - the joker. | DC Universe Online Forums (daybreakgames.com)

Fun fact, he had said he was done with the Joker when we got him back to do DLC4. That's why we called it the last laugh. ...he then came back again though. We have kept up with him and he's been willing/interested over the years, it just hasn't clicked.

We definitely won't re-record or remove any of Mark's acting.

Entirely possible that the situation remains the same.
  5. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

It seems like existing projects don't have to follow the same thinking. We have had him lined up a few times when it ultimately fell through for a variety of reasons. Restricting The Joker to Mark's voice makes this character's presence in the game less common and more unpredictable. Recasting comes with all the fan baggage. It's unclear what we'll do next time Mister J comes up on the storyboards.
    • Like x 14
  6. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

BWL is just the BWL though. I'm sure everyone has their opinions...
    • Like x 3
  7. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

That's why I suggest there be a different Joker. It doesn't have to be a redubb of Hammil's. His joker can be canon to the DCUP story and have a joker from another Dimension come in and be the resident joker. They can make his introduction be a part o the story. Hamill's joker will still be in the game up until the points where he stopped recording. This new joker comes in and claims that this universe is more fun , says it's his turn over her, conveniently swaps places with old joker off screen.

If I was a betting man I'd wager that a DLC featuring Justice League Incarnate is in discussion right now. They are all characters who people have no attachment too VA wise. Going heavy into the Multiverse means they can pic versions of characters who aren't necessarily Bruce Diana , and Clark. If anything, Metal p1 and 2 shows they are willing to handwave that majority of the dark batmans are still bruce wayne and give them different voices anyway(likely for logistical reasons ).

While Hamill is number 1, others have done voicework for the role and put there own flavor on it where it works just fine. I'm not in favor hamstringing the devs on the characters they can use because my favorite actor said he's done with the role. No one is as good as Arleen with voicing Harley (tara is a not too far behind number 2) yet they managed to replace her and we got over it.
  8. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

I love Mark Hammill as the Joker...... but....
    Sooner or later.... you will have to recast Mr J.

So you may as well bite the bullet and just Do it!!

Do It!!
    Do it NOW!! ;) ;)
    • Like x 3
  9. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

You’re speaking crazy and I like that. I would love to play an open world of death metal to the point it’s normal.
  10. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Just because there was nothing we could do doesn't mean that we've either forgotten or forgiven.

Ditto Tracey W. Bush as the original, one and only, Booster Gold.

I liked/like both Gina Torres and Susan Eisenberg, on the other hand, so I'm not reflexively attached to early or earliest iterations of a voice.

I like several of the Batman and Superman voice actors over the years, outside the game and in. I'm not sure I've ever really been satisfied with anyone who has voiced Flash.

Just one person's reactions. But since you decided to speak for "we."
  11. Magnificent Loyal Player

I have no idea of the logistics of getting someone to do V/O work but it seems there has been a cutback on the different number of people who do them for the game over the years. Moving voicing Manhunter from the original (Dwight Shultz, I believe) to the person who voices John Stewart is just the latest example of how the VOs for new content are starting to make the VO's feel like Morrowind (ie: big game but with only a handful or different voices).
    • Like x 1
  12. TANK69 Well-Known Player

You can introduce 2 more Jokers following the comic books and easily kill the first one, so the future Joker voice can be sy from the new ones. We always do your work...
  13. the solowing Steadfast Player

That decision has to go through WB, DCUO cant make narrative choices unilaterally WB dictates whos allowed in-game and what happens in DCUO narratively.
  14. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Are we sure he's not just ghosting you guys though? I mean it sounds like stuff I use to say to my ex all the time... "We should do something sometime" *wink wink* ;)

But jokes aside, his career has gotten a lot more busy again over the last decade since the contributions he made here so this isn't so surprising. I do hope you guys consider Baker in the event of more scheduling conflicts getting in the way.
    • Like x 2
  15. Shazammm Well-Known Player

You could always shoot for Alan Tudyk. He's voiced the Joker before. As well as a few other DC characters (Clayface, Green Arrow, Superman, the Flash). Plus, he's done live action stuff for DC (Mr. Nobody in Doom Patrol, Van Wayne in Powerless).
  16. Savior Prime Dedicated Player

I too was wondering when will we go back to normal emergencies. Must EVERY new episode be universal armageddon? When can Joker be the main villain, or Amazo, or Penguin? There are alot of villains that cause alot of trouble to heros that arnt universal threats. What about just a city wide disaster, or hostage situations, etc.. Why can't there be side missions added to episodes that deal with smaller threats like a bank robbery, hostage, Lex kidnaps Lois again, Jokers constant attempts to kill Batman, Fun with Riddler, Cheetah, etc... Smaller side missions could be added with every DLC (which are really just hotfixes for the most part). We used to get 1 Episode every 3 months and 2 DLCs between. It would certainly give us new things to do while we wait for next Episode. Many of us (not saying all) of us finish the Episodes within a month and get bored once we get the gear and feats.

There are alot of smaller scaled storylines that can be employed.
    • Like x 1
  17. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

I turned off the game sound during that Harley duo when they replaced Arleen, and have played with the sound off since then. I miss Mark’s voice, and will sometimes turn on the sound for the vault.
  18. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

Alan Tudyks Clayface in the Harley Quinn animated show is absolutely amazing! I'd love to have that version of the character in DCUO. I also wouldn't say no to Ron Funches version of King Shark in the game either
    • Like x 1
  19. Deathsaurus Well-Known Player

Just record new actor for new lines, leaving Hamill intact.
    Same should be done with Harley, but sadly...
    Also, it was a mistake to change her model and outfit in basic story. No reason for her while being the Joker's pet wearing her "independent" costume.
  20. AzraelR Committed Player

The answer is: Troy Baker

Amazing Joker voice (and very similar to Mark Hamill's voice)

Exaclty.

Harley Quinn NPC on Hall of Doom still has the same voice (I mean, the old one)
    The new voice is on House of Legends NPC (and inside new instances)
    • Like x 1