STAT CLAMP

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dior_XT, Dec 6, 2021.

1. metal1ix Well-Known Player

Recommended 4 players.
    Attempt to solo and get her down to 50% HP.
    Wipe after 3 minions pop up.
    [Use shield] - Already pops after blocking a lunge.

I think some clamped bounties can be done with two players if one's a tank focusing on all the aggro while the DPS keeps wailing at the boss.
    Going solo is generally not worth it cause a single mistake can make you wipe or if you have a pet being the bullet sponge and then suddenly said bounty ends up changing to you as the target.

Part of the main reason why clamped content ends up dying is cause some runs are easier than others in terms of collecting/farming source marks, and with practically everything costing source marks to progress... that's really the name of the game now.
  2. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Unless im misreading you here, i will inform you you that plenty of us complained about carrying entire groups.
    Not from the perspective of we shouodnt have to or be able to but from the perspective of carrying people teaches them nothing and then they try to do “real content” at relevancy and drag a group down because they learned nothing.
    New system, we can still carry (dont believe me? Add me i will dps for you and show just how much 1 individual can still carry a group). We just cant carry to the extent we once could and now others have to learn to play a little and thats good for the community (even if it means you have to also learn to carry your own weight).
    • Like x 2
  3. BumblingB I got better.

The clamp isn't preventing you from soloing it. You are using it as an escape goat. That's neither here nor there, you set your mind and don't actually want help.
    • Like x 4
  4. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

the short answer is "yes, it's actually pretty easy to solo starro".

the long answer is "I'm not posting a video of that because I hate fighting Starro, but I did at least explain the mechanics in the Bounty Hunting FAQ so if you're curious, go there."
    • Like x 3
  5. Magg Redd Well-Known Player

Gotta be blunt, whether they have the feats or not, if your league mates are not willing to help you, theeeennnnn......it may be time to find a new league, just sayin
    • Like x 3
  6. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Maybe you missed it when it was stated several times in the past that group portals were causing issues in the game, as clearly shown in Paradox Wave, which was subsequently closed. They haven't done group portals since.
    • Like x 2
  7. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

Maybe you missed it when it was implicitly suggested that they fix the problems associated with walk-in portals.
    • Like x 1
  8. Batladin3217 New Player

NO STAT CLAMPING!
    • Like x 2
  9. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The clamp is not the reason for the low population issue...we both know this is true. I've been seeing this issue in the EU servers (and to a significantly lesser degree in NA Servers) for years...and it was getting worse every year. This was ALL before the clamp even existed. Trying to pin population issues to the clamp is rather disingenuous especially for someone who claims to have been here from 2014. You are part of a group of people who hate the idea of stat clamp but can't quite articulate what you find wrong with it, so you blame the clamp for all sorts of issues that existed LONG before this year.

--

Here's something you and others never mention in these anti-clamp discussions: For years now people have complained that there's little to do in the game. People have also complained about long queues for older content (basically anything past the last 3-4 episodes, and sometimes even in more recent content).

People have complained about newer content design not being as fun and challenging as content from the past, and have regularly asked for older content to be brought up to current levels with rewards. And speaking of rewards...how many people made threads regularly in vehement opposition to CR relevancy and a dearth of Marks for all of their ever increasing needs?

How many times have people complained about content being ruined in some fashion by high CR players just laying selective waste to enemies leaving at level players with either nothing to do or learn? Or locked out of rewards because they were left behind to deal with aggroed mobs that the high CRs conveniently skipped?

What about new or returning players who couldn't just solo Open World Bounties? Or couldn't get enough people interested in helping out because there was nothing in it for them?

Did you or others really expect the Devs to remove CR Relevancy, to add incentives to run older content and just let you loose with little effort for full rewards??? Because that is literally what you're asking for when saying "make it optional". Because sure, they could make it optional...but then you can't expect to be rewarded for mowing down enemies with a couple of rotations right? So if they remove the clamp along with incentives to run the older content we're basically right back to where we were for the 6-7 years.

Population size is an issue that couldn't be addressed without fixing some fundamental issues, particularly content becoming completely useless for the majority of players after moving on from the content. And you can't go around rewarding people for very little effort, or people being so strong that other players experiences are ruined....hence the clamp.

Now as with everything that gets implemented here, there will be growing pains. Being that this is a live game constantly growing and being worked on by a host of people, some with differing design philosophies, no two pieces of content will behave the same. So when specific issues arise, they should be pointed out. Making general statements about the clamp as a whole may be "valid" feedback, but it won't do anything to fix particular issues.

For example, you can't solo Raven, and due to low population on the EU server you're having a hard time getting people to help. Point that out (without the unnecessary ) so that maybe they can add something to the rewards to entice players to go there. Or maybe they can do "Spotlight" weeks for that content. Conflating one issue (inability to complete a bounty solo) with something unrelated that you don't like (the clamp) doesn't help your cause, and does very little to convince them that the clamp was a bad idea.

TL;DR: Your primary issue is that you can't solo this particular bounty (which was not really intended to be in general), and due to low engagement/low population you're not getting the help you need. That has nothing to do with the Stat Clamp, which is what allows them to make older content relevant past a certain point, and address some other issues. If you want them to help with the Raven bounty issue, make suggestions to get people more inclined to run that piece of content. Asking for the removal of the clamp is pointless since that is not the cause of the issue.
    • Like x 6
  10. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Brilliantly informative, well reasoned argument. I'm sure this is the post that will get them to reconsider.
    • Like x 5
  11. Catastroflare Well-Known Player

The problem with the stat clamp is it's a waste of time. Waiting for no one to queue for outdated and obsolete content that no new player participates in unless forced to (hi2u omnibus).

I had plenty of wait times for a variety of different, older content go well beyond 30 minutes only to give up and move onto something else. Multiple times. And I'm not even on the EU server with low population either.

What I find interesting about this whole argument is the only people who seem to champion and advocate strongly for the stat clamp are seasoned players who've consistently played DCUO (with little to no break) with more than enough SPs to split between two or three characters.
    On the other hand, some of the players that are deeply opposed to the clamp are either returning after having been away for a time and knew how good it was before the clamp and brand new players who are only interested in playing the newest content because that's usually the best place get caught up quickly to game speed when it comes to MMOs in general anyway. They simply want to get through the older content quickly to get the feats that are needed for more SP to better their characters for the content they actually want to play! How is this so hard to understand? I guess the audacity they should want such a thing! And I find it really funny that people who took advantage of the lack of a stat clamp and got their feats are like, "Too bad for you! Should have played sooner!!!11!!11!!"

Give me a damn break.

This strange idea that new players play the old content and learn their roles and boss mechanics is nothing but pure crap. And if you buy into it, well, I've got a bridge to nowhere that I believe you'll be very interested in purchasing.

How this lost on some of you posting in favor the stat clamp just boggles my mind. Perhaps it's the "elitists" of the game that are highly in favor of the stat clamps while the rest of us "plebs" aren't.

/2cents
    • Like x 3
  12. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

I think this is all done on purpose to restrict players who are not full in their artifacts, for a while my artifacts were not crazy, I found this stat clamp very confusing as far as my damage is concerned, but now they are almost at 200 and now I already see a difference as if the stat clamp almost doesn't exist anymore, I think this is done to push people to spend money to xp full their artifacts
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

You weren't asking me, but I can respond for my own opinion on this and ask you a follow up.

I run multiple accounts I like to have SP on. So when I hit a newer account and do bounties I had already done on my main when they were 'current', I'm hitting it like a new player would...looking at years and years of catch up. The 'joy' I felt when finishing say 10 Dr. Light bounties doing them solo was the same joy I felt when I hit it on my 10th on my main....I was done. I didn't go hit him an 11th time to 'feel powerful'....I never went back. I get 'joy' every time I realize that's one of 1000's of feats I don't ever need to work on again. It wasn't a feeling of 'oooooh, I'm so powerful I just beat up a world boss'...no it was 'Thank god, I don't have to come and do this one again....feat complete'.

BTW...that's the same joy I felt when finishing each of the daily WOL2 missions to complete the list...which have been and still are soloable, or finishing all my races/booster gold tours. Bounty feats that were designed to be done over a DLC's lifespan of 3-6 months when new are nothing buy drudgery to do when the DLC is 7-8 years old. Soloing them was a method of cutting that drudgery down(and its' still doable with a good build BTW...just way slower). Raven, Dr Light, Apok commander all only count when you have the mission active...so 'spamming' them like Calc, Hulk or some newer ones is not an option. Maybe this is a compromise, change the feats to straight counts vs requiring an active mission. Get your group and knock the feat out vs having to revisit it over multiple months or using resets?

This goes for many of the instance feats as well, like any RNG feat like 'Artifact Finder' which could take 50+ runs of Nexus to finish if you are unlucky. It used to be you could grab a buddy and mow through and get to the artifact to see if its one you need, now you'd need to either build a farming group (good luck getting more than 1 or 2 runs before it falls apart) or you are looking at running it every week....maybe daily even, amongst 10 years of other things you need to run, and maybe end up even getting in failure groups...those are fun things added since the clamp. But hey....those are new people problems...you know the CR skippers we want to have more SP...screw them, right...we ground the feats out over months or years...why shouldn't they?

WV bounties will suffer this same fate in a year or so. Right now people still hit them, but once a few more DLCs drop...good luck getting your 100 counts done new people. You know, thpse same people we tell 'get your SP up' all the time?

Oh, and as far as how many I'd run on one of these new account toons when working on the feat? Daily?...at least 8 or 9 for CC, which on my last account I finished post clamp....for 56 days. Yes...doing that provided much 'joy'....when it was over. I haven't done one since...and likely won't do another unless showing someone my route for farming them. And doing those daily was added to any other 'do it every day till done' stuff like bottle duos, NGN daily mission count, toyman, DiamondHiest/ringwar...etc. And oh yeah...current stuff.

So my follow up to you. Since the clamp, are you spending a lot of time going into the old OW content...forming a group...then beating Dr Light or Raven for the >10th time? Does beating an enemy you already beat 10+ times give you more 'joy' now than it did previous to the clamp? Why does doing something over and over when you know you can do it give you 'joy'?
    If you fight other OW bounties like bot or hulk or calc, do you form or join multiple groups each week...assuming you already have the count feats done....or do you just do one to get paid then ignore any other shouts of 'who needs calc bot' in LFG? Why not join multiple groups if the bounty challenge provides you 'joy'?
    If you do form a bounty group for source farming (not sure if you do this....many do), do you take out Dr Light, Mist bounties, apok commander, Raven...and any other bounties that only pay 1 or 2 marks....or does your 'joy' come from getting the 8 source marks on the other bounties like Starro, Brine Hulk or Synn?

And why are you so obsessed with people's 'joy' anyway? Even if someone likes blowing stuff up...especially solo...why does that harm you so much?
    • Like x 5
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Paradox wave was a fluke. If the same glitch/exploit were possible in all portals just by virtue of using a walk-in portal, they'd have closed them all. Not saying I'd want portals....just saying it wasn't solely 'portal' related....it was 'Paradox Wave portal' related. Obviously FOS1/2/3, Batcaves, Gates, Prime, Trigon are all still in operation...why not shut them down if 'portals' cause issues?

However, portals was the worst of the ideas (IMHO). Portal clutter in the WT was one of the reasons we don't have them in HoL. They could have made an instance teleporter (similar to the Orrey), or...my personal suggestion, AQS...a way to limit the 2/4/8 player requirement when queuing to 'just go in' with whatever players you have (even solo if that's the case). That could have been further modified to a 'min-max' option where maybe raids were 3 or 4 people minimum....alerts 2...whatever. This was arguably more requested than a clamp, but that's not what we got. Ah well.

Honestly, I'd still say some 'don't have to queue' option is needed as feats in raids still require getting 8 people...which is still a big issue for some. 5, 6 or 7 can complete most raids if capable, and you'd eliminate the 'rando queue' factor you get from matchmaking that 6th, 7th or 8th person. Most Omni raids I'm in, there are dead bodies on the floor, or standing outside the room...so even in random groups, 8 is NOT a requirement to finish a raid (never has been....even in current content). Why let those bodies mess up a feat?
    • Like x 2
  15. Hunted2468 Well-Known Player

First off, appreciate the proper answer. Seems like the person being replied to didn't have an answer, and the OP's attempt at one was probably the most childish version he/she could have chosen. So, lets have a look:

1) Lets get the obvious out of the way. This was meant to be the foundation of your entire POV on the subject, and it makes zero sense. Unfortunately it has a pretty bad knock-on effect as we go down but first we need to address where the sense exits the building. Its when someone tries to argue both that "I run multiple accounts" and then that their Joy occurs when knowing that they'll "never go back". So...... you're essentially admitting/realizing that you get no Joy from it then? Because you'll need to go back for every single new account or alt. That, or you get no Joy from it until the final alt is finished, which I believe would be classified as self torture tbh. If you were to have 40 toons, by your description of what brings you Joy, the realization that you'll never have to do that Bounty again, you literally cannot gain any Joy from the first 39 toons. Because after number 1 is done you have to start all over again with 2, after 2 you have to start all over again with 3, after 3 you have to start all over again with 4 etc etc. You perpetually face the fact that you DO have to go back, over and over and over and over.

Dont get me wrong btw, not only is the Joy of never having to face a Bounty again common, its completely understandable too. I get like that. Everyone does. But see, where I use my Membership Replays to Unlock the feats onmy 1 account alts, you cant on different account alts. You've basically put your own Joy out of reach for weeks/months. And somehow this was meant to be the start, the foundation of an argument for why it was still fun? Jesus...

2) You bring up other Bounties, then races, then drudgery, then missions being required. Im going to take a guess and say this paragraph materialized because you felt like following on from the previous train of thought and kept going. But none of it actually answers any of the questions or stays relevant to the questions. Its relevant to you, dont get me wrong im not saying its worthless, just skippable in the context of the post you wanted to reply to and answer.

3) See Point (2)

4) Actually the current motto is back to being "SP Doesn't Matter". That'll last a few months and then we'll return to "get your SP up" again. Round and Round and Round it'll go as always. To your point though, I have 572SP currently and have none of WVs 100's, you're likely arguing for unnecessary feats there. Completionists do exist ofc, but we've stopped recognizing that they have an extremely unhealthy and detrimental habit for some inexplicable reason. Games should never tailor to that.

5) "When it was over". More evidence for Point (1) and a startling highlight on the fact that out of 100's of Bounties, you only actually got any Joy from 1. The last 1. Painting a pretty clear picture here that 99% of Bounties Pre-Clamp weren't actually fun to begin with, my main question.

6) Lots of questions and pretty disorganized but let me see if I can get em all. Every week I do the T4-T6 Bounties with my League, yes. Start at Doomed Metro and end at FP Gotham. As you're aware this is a SM mark run. Its a bit fun, but nothing major. Had it been Pre-Clamp, (brushing aside the fact that there wouldn't be SM mark runs without the entire system) it would have been an absolute chore. No challenge, no friendly slagging of Leaguemates if they get KO'd, no having fun with Loadouts, no nothing. Oneshots almost, and done. You spend 70% of your time Loading between teleporters. An absolute definition of torturous. After the SM mark runs, yup, If im not in an instance i'll regularly challenge myself to solo old OW Bounties. Usually T4 and below. As its actually a challenge now, even some of them on my Tanks, its absolutely fantastic for practice. Practice new LO's or just practice at speeding up a current one. Practice with different SP allocations. Practice with different artifact combinations. And because of all of that, and actually even without all of that, its fun. Try KO a Bounty with only Counters, try KO a Bounty with just Pet Attacks, try KO a Bounty with just 1 power being used. Games are toys, and toys become more with imagination. In summary, yes, I regularly fight all Bounties. Today alone was Bizarro (Doomed), tried out Raven because of this threads ridiculous claims, and I hunted the Iconics in the Amazon fury Gotham. Fun.

7) I think we may have a VERY different definition of "obsession" tbh. I'm not entirely sure who teaches people that asking 1 question, even if expanded to clarify detail necessity, is obsessive, but you really shouldn't listen to their advice any more. To be "Obsessed" is usually characterized as "to preoccupy or fill the mind of someone continually, and to a troubling extent". In other words "Joy" should be present in all my posts here, and likely in other threads too. Have you any examples of this?
  16. Operation Failure Well-Known Player

Imo I blame the cr skip for players not knowing what to do at this point. The clamp isn't helping that issue either as we've seen with the nerf to TOTD in reg. New players are just skipping through content and gearing up without even knowing how to read the chat box. You can say I'm wrong on the reading part but if I have to constantly type stop attacking the essence more than twice to the same person? There's an issue. Don't even get me started on Spindrift station. And we can't even kick these players most of time because we just recently got finished in a raid an hour ago kicking someone who has done the exact same thing(Not playing their roles, messing up mechanics constantly, etc)
    • Like x 1
  17. Hunted2468 Well-Known Player

Well, that or they don't speak English, so whatever you type may as well be Hieroglyphics.

Theres obv ignorant/childish players too, i'm merely presenting an alternative credible reason.
  18. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Paradox Wave was more than a Fluke. There were several problems beyond the fact that the instance was being exploited. They never gave us the full story, but those issues were unresolvable at the time and persists to this day. They didn't close any other walk in portals because they weren't causing any issues, but that doesn't preclude the fact that they weren't confident with future group sized portals.

This one is simple actually...Adjustable Queue Sizes (AQS) would only solve one problem: Getting into content. Stat Clamping would solve several problems for them in one programming swoop. While we can argue whether or not their solution is succeeding based on anecdotal evidence, they have a clearer picture from which to base current and future decisions from. For some people queue times have improved, others are finding it beneficial and even fun going back to older formerly stagnant content and getting rewarded for it. While others are finding frustration either because of inexperienced players or people refusing to even play properly, or because of the inconvenience of not being able to just overgear older content. It's not perfect, and needs some more fine tuninning, which is what they're doing. I seriously doubt they're going to just trash the whole system after only a few months.

I won't disagree with that....but I will say that this won't likely happen until they have things where they want them for the most part. And that's if things work out for them. So it might be quite a while before we see AQS.
    • Like x 1
  19. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

The clamp really killed the solo option for bounties. Kiss those feats bye bye.
    • Like x 2
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

See, here's my problem with that statement, if the content is outdated and obsolete, why are you there? Why are you putting yourself through content that is according to you, of no use?