'Cannot Trade', 'Account Bound'

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by PlayerNumberWhoKnows, Nov 20, 2021.

1. PlayerNumberWhoKnows Active Player

So many items with 'Cannot Trade', 'Account Bound' on many vendors in the game, why is that? Simply curious as a newer player,
    looks like I won't be able to get many things from the older content with the thousands and many hundreds of Quarks cost per item and many hundreds of marks in other vendors, which is sooner or later but still raises the same question.

Would it destroy the economy, cut the companies from huge benefits if they make more items tradeable?
    Make it unfair for long time players?, they could sell it too and make profit on those because they already have it, and they might have the extra marks to buy them and resell or gift or something. Might bring new players too and bring back newer ones. Not looking good for a long-term plan? Is it something with the in-game cash vs marketplace cash?

Honestly, I won't pay for those extra styles/looks, feats abysmal amounts of money, either I can farm some of these out or just leave it there and you can keep it. Definitely some paywalls and barriers here to catch up somewhat, to a certain extent, even with having subscription. Game is pretty much inaccessible in these parts for new and newer players.

Don't get me wrong, not asking to make it free and am willing to farm it out as am doing so and going to continue, but could not care beyond a certain extent because its like never, to be able to get most of those things. And it could very well be worse for others and stops some from coming, join and stay
    and play.
    • Like x 4
  2. nawanda Loyal Player

I think the rationale why a lot of items are not tradeable or are account bound is absolutely sound, for the most part. The game started life as one where you had to earn skill points rather than buy them on the broker. I’m not in favour of anything that swings the balance any further in favour of those with lots of in game cash (this isn’t self interest, I have a lot of in game cash).

Just for example some of the style items on the rare style vendor. There are two ways to earn those gear sets, grind the content, or use source marks, and buy them at a premium through currency earned via general gameplay. That seems fair to me, the style pieces are there as an alternative if you struggle to finish a style due to bad RnG. But you still have to work to earn it. There are lots of examples like this where I think the Account Bound and Cannot Trade flags are justified.

In recent years. the quality control of this game has become shockingly poor. Often items are released with incorrect flags and there is a lack of consistency. But I think the balance is generally about right.
  3. Wzlinnkk54 Active Player

You mean would it destroy the economy more then it already is lol. Idk pretty annoying when the ways to trade items is shout chat which is over looked a lot, the broker where "prices" on certain items is going for more than what the broker cap, you cannot find. Then there's of course trade chat...... which I was watching yesterday off and on yesterday and all I saw was people having personal convo's burying players sales/buying offers, or personal insults about asking/paying prices burying players sales/buying offers, or insults about what players opions are burying players sales/buying offers. Plus I forgot the gold seller spams lol as I told my league if your going to watch the broker and use trade chat with the players that play this game you cant actually do anything no raids or anything. You can only sit by the broker and refresh while watching the trade chat.

PS. Bring back the trade forums.
  4. inferno Loyal Player

The highest cost in Source mark for styles in order to finish feats is 70. All of those styles are also drops you can get in the game and instances they are associated with. They were put into vendors with a higher cost to help players finish a set without having to run instances hundreds of times for years just to get that last piece, which was the case for older players who never had the luxury of such a vendor.

Since you are willing to farm those Source marks, I guarantee you WILL get all those styles eventually. As a Subscriber, you can use your loyalty points and you can buy replay badges to those styles to your other toons.

Vendors with quarks, either play the Time Capsule game or get it in the broker because the materials there are very valuable OR just ignore those feats.

Finally, just to let you know, the Devs have done a massive amount of work in the game to ensure that new players get access to these styles so much easier than what older players have to go through:

Original vendors used to sell complete gear sets for hundreds of marks compared to the 98 marks needed to buy a whole set.
    Style vendors offer an even cheaper alternative at 10 marks per style.
    Rare Style vendors offer an option to buy that rare piece missing from a rare drop set for 70 source marks.
    Double marks events that increase the marks you receive while putting on a 50% discount on gear vendors.
    An Omnibus type of queueing, completely redesigning older content and rewards structures for newer players so that they can a bigger player base.

From an Old player's viewpoint just letting you know how much more easier it is to get those styles from years before.
    • Like x 2
  5. PlayerNumberWhoKnows Active Player

6. Catastroflare Well-Known Player

This is where I think DCUO is doing "account bound" wrong. If something is account bound it should be shareable within all players of your account, integrated or not. Not sure how many people remember but this was how it used to be back when the game first launched ten years ago.

In any case, the money that's being made for the game comes from keeping everything separate, like skill points for example -the grindiest most archaic aspect of DCUO. Instead of making skill points an account bound feature you either have to do them all over again when rolling a new character on the same account or buy them with replay badges which can cost a player real money.

A lot of the QoL changes that make sense from a player's perspective won't happen because that'll be revenue loss for the game. Gotta put profit before players, mirite?
    • Like x 2
  7. PlayerNumberWhoKnows Active Player

The (killing) joke is on the players.
    O, wait, thats us.
    ooo... wait...

Forcing the money making, profiting could go wrong/ the other way and not bring that much as well. At least on me...
    But who could argue when enough is willing to pay these ways, and who could... when no one is in the conversation(s) :D
    We can still have fun joy and laughter in the (s)laughterhouse with the roof burning and the bottom falling.
    ~Money talks, dog barks.