Time bomb and it’s lack of explosion

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Stanktonia, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Can anybody inform me on why this ability is so incredibly weak, it’s more than likely the weakest ability in the powerset, literally, this isn’t me being hyperbolic. It’s cast time and damage out ratio isn’t sensible at all, I’m sorry. I’ve submitted to the conclusion of this being a bug, with hope of it being true so it can be patched, because as of now it just isn’t useful, and just limits quantum as a powerset, and it’s a shame because it’s one of the most aesthetically pleasing powe sets in the game
    • Like x 1
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The damage is based on the damage you deal while the bomb is falling and caps at a percentage of your Might.
    If the enemy inside is Destabilized or Graviton Charged they will take extra damage.
    • Like x 1
  3. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Ahh, okay this makes sense, this is why my numbers were so low when testing I’ll have to try looking at the power again. Is the cap noticeable?
    • Like x 1
  4. L T Devoted Player

The cap is quite low-- you can hit it with just 1-2 might or weapon attacks. People complain about that all the time, but it means that even if you're controlled or have to block, you're likely to get full damage from your time bomb. A!so if your bomb somehow missed you have about a second to redirect the full damage with a range weapon tap. Also, weapon attacks work as well as might ones for charging the bomb, so TB works well with precision too.
    • Like x 2
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

We've been requesting they adjust the cap for years now. It's not a bad power with the right loadout.
    • Like x 2
  6. FlexVibrant Well-Known Player

Quantum player since 2013.

The problem is Time Bomb is new content has surpassed it.

When you run content youre running with a group, it can be an alert raid or duo. In that group there will be another DPS. If the DPS is good, the way their loadout is designed,they will burn adds BEFORE Time Bomb even connects.

Time Bomb isn't relative to content. Give me a Time Bomb loadout and I'll give you one that does 2X the damage without Time Bomb.

It never got an update since it was nerfed and Quantum players either

1. learned how to play without it (If you need a viable Quantum loadout just let me know)
    2. They went to Precision and followed the Meta.
    3. They changed to Gadgets.

Time Bomb isn't viable in any content and if I see a Quantum using it I'm ahead of them by 10-50 million in damage plus I save power and have room in my slot for Quantum Tunneling which gives me an edge on movement, canceling into my pets to save time and go back to my loadout.

Timebomb needs an update to be viable. Its not close to useful and if a quantum tells you to use, raid them up with me and you'll see how useless it is.

What's sad is aesthetically it's a cool move, but another problem is time bomb weirdly goes up in the air instead of stay infront of your character so sometimes you may not even notice when it explodes if you're in a instance where you have to focus on mechanics. It actually seems glitchy when it comes out.

Adds and bosses move around too much and time bomb will whiff. Even if Devs did a minor update on its speed, it doesn't track adds or bosses.

This isnt the first timebomb thread and wont be the last. But we can accept our grandchild will try dcuo and timebomb will still be glitchy, slow and not viable in elite content.

I recommend trying optimal loadouts for Quantum until the dcuo team actually cares and makes it worth using.
    • Like x 5
  7. Bipolar Diva Well-Known Player

Timebomb is useless. Enemies charge you or teleport or die of old age.
    • Like x 2
  8. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

100% this
    I will my quantum dps services as well
    Time bomb is trash, if i see a quantum dps using it i immediately offer to help them after the instance. PM either f us if need be for competant loadouts and artifact setups. Theres lots of things u can competitively do with quantum, time bomb just aint one of em lol
    • Like x 2
  9. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Once the cap was instituted, it became useless, quantum became useless for dps. When cc was taken away for trolls, quantum trolling became useless. In a nut shell, quantum is freaking useless.

Back when dox was walkin-able…all my other rooms could wipe the floor with those bosses epic odyssey style. Quantum toon, high skill points, latest gear and all, powers hit 60k plus and then time bomb goes off …drumroll please… 50k. Wtf?!?!?!?!!!!! Useless. Yet, mental toon with no skill points or mods and pop mass terror and a boss dies as it does 1M+ (1,000,000) per pop. Balanced? Hahaha not even close.

I gave up on my quantum as it power hungry and doesn’t hit for anything. A bag of feathers would do more damage. And I’m not joking about that.
  10. valiant Villian Well-Known Player

As a might Quantum DPS, I can tell you that Quantum needs a refurbish and tune up. Time Bomb is pretty much not even used by any serious Quantum DPS. Same with Gravity Well. Meanwhile Precision players are scoring so high they get accused of cheating. (Sigh)
  11. AV Loyal Player

???

Quantum is one of the hardest hitting ST Might powers, is still above average in trash-clear AoE, and has an excellent fire & forget SC (it is the only power with above average base performance to have a good SC that can't miss or be interrupted for full loss) . Its execution is pretty boring (for ST, AOE, and battle troll) compared to other powers but there is zero reason anyone should be losing to prec with it.
    • Like x 2
  12. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

I’m trying it with prec right now, and having found anything worth celebrating yet, once I incorporate an icon or movement ability I’m expecting to see a difference though
    • Like x 1
  13. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

It’s looking like it’s in the lower, or mid spectrum of prec at the moment, at least without the use of iconics or movement abilities
    • Like x 1
  14. AV Loyal Player

Yeah it's one of the only 100% flavourless powers for Prec. Most powers have something special & unique they bring to the table in a Prec build but Quantum's just bland. Could be good with Hybrid maybe (could work well with Computo maybe) but just thinking about a full-Prec build with it has me like "...ugh."

Despite its above average Might performance, its kit is extremely milquetoast to the point it's one of only two powers I don't really enjoy playing as despite Oblivion being very cool.
    • Like x 1
  15. valiant Villian Well-Known Player

If i am not mistaken, precision players have been dominating of late. Numerous threads about this. Certain powers combined with clipping and weapon combos have given precision the edge for quite a while now.
    • Like x 1
  16. AV Loyal Player

The community tends to go off half-cocked.
    • Like x 3
  17. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Gadgets and electric prec have been dominate, not prec in general, but those powers can put up similar numbers as might, with gadget’s might build putting up superior numbers. And if we get content that’s lenient towards melee dpsing, then rage would be the best, no matter if it’s prec or might. You probably could wear half tank gear and still out dps everyone while performing a rage melee build lol
  18. AV Loyal Player

Every power can beat those as Might.

Edit: Also, Gadgets is extremely overrated across the board aside from its super fun melee AoE (which has more range than it should due to mines having a ludicrous detonation area). It's only above average if it can always be in relatively close range and even then it has significant drawbacks that other powers don't. People tend to disregard what powers do badly or where they're vulnerable to loss.

As for Elec, yeah CB is a balance problem in that it shouldn't buff Prec as much as it buffs Might. The Might side of the power is balanced around CB but the Prec side isn't, so it makes it badly balanced amongst Prec powers.
    • Like x 1
  19. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Right, even munitions has a quirk with prec lol. But I haven’t tried a hybrid computo build, only prec, I’m not foreshadowing the numbers to be something special though.

To be honest, grim should be applying the destabilize pi, there’s too many efficient routes towards the graviton pi for grim not to be destabilizing targets. There would be a lot more room for quantum in general, not even just prec, if grim destabilized enemies.

I’m going to try a few more builds before I unfortunately abandon the power for either hardlight prec, or mental
    • Like x 1
  20. AV Loyal Player

Yeah the only power with a more obnoxious PI situation is Elec.

Gravitonic Field is virtually the hardest-hitting ST instacast power in the game though and if Grim didn't do Grav it would put Quantum in the same hole as Elec but without the benefit of CB to dig itself out. For AoE though, the PI situation is aggravating. It took me 10x longer to test Quantum AoE than it did any other power because of how stupidly close every possible combination is with or without PI (which is made worse by the subtle differences in animation times on its powers).

To answer your original question also, Time Bomb is weak because it can't crit in the traditional sense. Like 95% of the attack does fixed damage and only a tiny portion crits for proc purposes. It isn't meant to be a bread & butter DPS power and DPS shouldn't ever be using it to begin with in its current form. It also doesn't need it. If the whole power could crit it would probably be a competitive option though.
    • Like x 2